Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

The waiting game!

1. amymac83
    amymac83
    I am tentatively scheduled for surgery January 8th. My husband had the surgery in October 2012. He was pushing 300 lbs. and lost about 150 lbs. so I know it works. I have been struggling for years and thought that surgery was a "cheating." After some time and many other methods I have decided to go for it. I know we all lose differently and don't expect a number like my hubby but I'm also not completely in the dark on what to expect during this process before, during, and after. Luckily with our insurance plan through United Healthcare (requirements differ by plan) all I needed was a 5 yr weight history and a letter from my primary doctor reccomending the procedure. So as of yesterday the surgeon's office submitted everything to insurance. I realize I won't hear back overnight but I'm obsessing over when I will get the call. I haven't wanted anything more than just to be happy. Yes, being thinner won't change everything but it will certainly give me more confidence and the extra boost to be successful in my weight loss journey. So the waiting game begins...Anyone else waiting on insurance approval?
  2. SABmom
    SABmom
    I am waiting on insurance approval also. My surgeons office just sent my information off this morning as a matter of fact and she said usually it will take about two weeks to hear back from Blue Cross of Alabama. Finge rs crossed!! I am praying the right person gets it in their hands for review. I have a surgery date set for 1-14-14. So excited!!!!! Prays we get our approval for a healthier us in 2014!
  3. amymac83
    amymac83
    Yeah, I'm thinking two weeks as well! Although the surgery isn't until Jan, I would feel less anxious knowing I have been approved. I'm praying too for a healthier us in 2014!!
  4. Khartt
    Khartt
    I was lucky, my insurance approval came within 24 hours of my surgeon submitting my paperwork.
    Amymac83, I don't think the surgery is "cheating", we will work as hard after surgery to lose weight as we did before the surgery and from all I hear maintaining our weight loss is just a big a battle.
  5. amymac83
    amymac83
    Khartt - That's great you were approved so quickly. I know that its not cheating now was my point. A simple reference as I was thinking/writting out loud.
  6. TheJennC
    TheJennC
    My paperwork has yet to be submitted - I have one last med appointment next week, everything gets reviewed by the heads of my bariatric program, and THEN everything gets submitted to Capital. I'm nervous but I'm certain I'll get approval with a BMI of 50.

I totally understand the "cheating" aspect - that's what I used to think too - the easy way out. I could do it on my own. After three years of yo-yo-ing in the same 30-40 pound range again and again and again, I realized I needed this to help me, and there's no shame in taking the help where you can get it!
  7. amymac83
    amymac83
    TheJennC - I agree with you! I thought of the possibility last January, even signed up for the seminar. I backed out giving myself some more time to try to do it on my own. My other attempts along with this last one hasn't been successful so that's why I decided to take the help I need and go for it! I was approved for surgery and now have to schedule my pre-op testing. In just a couple of months I will have it done and will start my next journey!