Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Question about "diet" (foods allowed)

1. LetsDoThis
    LetsDoThis
    After reading MANY posts I'm finding a huge difference with some is the post-op diet they have been given.. So with that I'm curious with what you've been told what you are and are not allowed to eat.. Along with any other "Don'ts".. Looking to compare notes I guess you could say..lol

I'm sure like many I was told to do liquids for my pre-op diet.. Then the day of surgery and while in the hospital I was on only clear liquid (tea, water, jello, broth).

When I returned home and until (for me Tuesday) the end of my week of surgery.. I could have clear liquids, low-fat yogurt, 2-4% low-fat cottage cheese, no sugar added pudding.

Weeks 2-4 puréed foods.. I'm in week 3 right now and eagerly awaiting the start of week 5 when I can sample some other foods and start chewing again..

My big "Do"- was to make sure I'm getting at least 64g of protein a day. Today has been the first day that I know without a doubt I did get it in. I have found the protein powder by EAS to be the best tasting. It's the Whey one that says build muscle. Throwing that in the Ninja with milk makes it a pretty good drink. I'm also supposed to be taking a vitamin, which I'm not.. Only because I can't find chewable vitamins that aren't gummies.

My "Don'ts"- No gummies (no gummy vitamins), and no drinking from straws.

So what about you?
  2. MsRhoyalty22
    MsRhoyalty22
    month one post op - liquid
    month two post op - puree foods
    month three post op - soft foods
    month four post op - solid foods

Centrum makes a chewable multi vitamin. And don't forget your B-12 vitamin, as your stomach did produce this vitamin but most of your stomach is gone. I got the B-12 that you put under your tongue and it dissolves.
  3. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    Liquids while in hospital. Once home, pureed protein (any meats, cheese, eggs, fish only) for weeks 1 and 2. Week 3 starts the soft protein. My Dr provides vitamins and all the other goodies. Their chewable vitamins were gross so I take Bariatric Advantage for VGS which are easy for me to swallow. I also take CoQ10 vitamins and extra biotin. I'm not allowed carbs yet, just all protein and liquids (water, broth, sf jello, etc). I ran out of the whey protein from the Dr and bought my own, OMG there are some nasty tasting ones out there like the body fortress brand. I ended up getting eas and pure protein shakes. Did anyone else notice that some protein shakes are very high carb and fat?
  4. healthier86
    healthier86
    0-3 days clear liquids, full liquids 4-14 days, 14-30 days soft foods and finally gradually introducing solid foods. Taking centrum chewable multivitamins, b1, b12, and iron.
  5. LetsDoThis
    LetsDoThis
    I had asked my dr before about the b12.. He told me to wait until I'm "healed" at the 6 week mark..and at that time he'll see if I even need it. My husband is a juicer and has gotten me into it, but I'm waiting until 6 weeks before diving back in.

I forgot another "Don't"- no gum :-/ I'm not a regular gum chewer, except at my daughter's sporting events because of my nerves..lol

About the protein drinks- I too have tasted some really nasty ones. I was told to not do the Special K or others used for weight loss, since the protein is so much lower in those. I am so scared about losing my hair from lack of protein, I'm not taking any chances.