Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Anyone from the West side?

1. KMelendez
    KMelendez
    I will be sleeved Thursday, 1/12, in Grand Rapids. I am excited and ready for it. I am finding that I am getting comments from friends, neighbors, or co-workers that they know someone who had it and they lost, then gained it all back again. The only positive stories I find are on this site or youtube. I know that it is a lifetime lifestyle change, but the reason I want the surgery is that it doesn't come back on again. I don't want to go through all of this, only to have the weight back on in 2 years. Comments? Anyone in the Grand Rapids area?
  2. herbie55
    herbie55
    Looks like you are 2 days away at this time. Wishing you the best of luck. I am 45 minutes south of Grand Rapids but had my surgery in Detroit with Dr. PLeatman. I was cash pay. Almost 9 months out and have lost a total of 92 pounds (including pre op diet). This is surely a life changing experience. I know of 2 people who have had gastric bypasses and have gained back weight but I don't know anyone else personally who has had the sleeve and gained back but a small amount of weight. In all reality it depends on how commited you are to sticking with the plan and maintaining a health diet after you loose the weight. You may want to check out the vertical sleeve forum at obesityhelp.com. I have found many great ideas, recipies and friends there. Again, best of luck.
  3. KMelendez
    KMelendez
    Yes, I agree that it depends upon the strength of your commitment to the plan. I do not want to test my pouch, or test my trigger foods. When I was in the pre-screening process, I was right on the border of being an acceptable candidate, the doctor told me not to lose any weight during the process -- so I said farewell to my favorite bad foods. No more Chinese buffets, no more chips and salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant, no more cement mixers at Culver's. I enjoyed them, but said ADIOS. My health and my self-esteem is more important.
  4. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    How are you doing with your new tummy? I just went to Grand Health Partners and chose Dr. Foote. It seems like a very "in tune" kind of place. I gave you as a referral - hope you get a prize or something.
  5. KMelendez
    KMelendez
    I have been very happy with GHP. Their staff and doctors are really devoted to helping others get the weight under control. There is a support group meeting on Monday nights that I have heard is a lot of fun and informative. I have not been able to attend because it starts at 5 p.m., and I am still at work, but I will try to get to one in the next month. Is your surgery scheduled yet with Dr. Foote?
  6. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    I am in wait mode (and weight mode) for about 3 more months to satisfy the insurance regulations. I met with Dr. Foote and liked him very much. He also told me not to lose any weight as I am on that thin (pardon the pun) edge of acceptability also. I think that GHP will submit for approval in September and hopefully we can get the good word back and schedule surgery. Does the support meeting meet at the GHP office? I would like to attend a meeting as I feel really "out in left field" being her in the Lansing area. During this waiting period, I feel like it's not going to happen and that's a pretty lonely feeling. I hope things are going well in your journey.
  7. KMelendez
    KMelendez
    I can imagine that the waiting is very difficult. Dr. Baker said that the patients are so ready for surgery by the time they take the steps to contact GHP that they just want the surgery scheduled. And it's true ... we have done our research, we have talked to people, we have given it a lot of thought before actually taking the step to call for help. Keep your hopes up. The group meeting is held at the GHP offices and there are a lot of people in the building at that time. The store also stays open late so you can browse through and see what you will be eating before, during, and after your surgery. There are mentor lists that are also available, where you can choose to communicate with others on a one-on-way basis.
  8. JenKMI
    JenKMI
    West side here, Muskegon. My surgery will be on Tuesday, like 3 days!!! Crazy. I'm so ready for it. Glad to have found this forum with all the great support and stories to share.
  9. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    Kim, I am on vacation right now but I hope attend a support meeting when I get back. What nights/times are they held? If it's on the website, I missed it.
  10. kristin
    kristin
    My husband and I are from the Holland area- I had my sleeve surgery 11/19/12, hubby has his this Monday 1/21/13. Exciting to take this journey together! We have Dr Schram out of GR and Zeeland, Lakeshore Bariatric. Anyone know of any support groups here in West MI?
  11. J3nn
    J3nn
    I had my surgery done with Dr. Schram from Holland/Zeeland. He was fantastic! I am 5 weeks post op and things are finally getting easier.