Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

"Why don't you just try harder?"

1. raphaelsmuse
    raphaelsmuse
    How many of you guys have heard this? I have some unsupportive people around me (mainly family and especially my sister, who I am very close to and is a bit younger than me). I've heard the "well, have you really tried to lose weight? Like done more exercise, more dieting, worked harder?" I wonder if it's an ageism thing.. Since we're younger, do we get more crap for it than people who are older and might have more health conditions?

I am going into the surgery with very few health problems (other than, yknow, being morbidly obese). I have asthma, which I've had all my life; I have early lymphedema in my right foot/lower leg, arthritis in one toe (yep, it's as silly as it sounds); "slight" sleep apnea (? my sleep apnea test came back that I had some disrupted breathing but not full sleep apnea, so who knows what that means in the end); and depression, if you want to include mental health concerns as well. I don't have diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, etc... Though I'm sure there's a good enough chance that I would develop at least diabetes in the next 5 years if left to my own devices.

Have any of you encountered this a lot?
  2. WhoDatGuh
    WhoDatGuh
    My older sister did the same thing to me, but I do have diabetes, high cholesterol and (diagnosed) sleep apnea. I also had my thyroid removed when I was 17 which really makes it hard to lose weight because your thyroid controls your metabolism. But forget what everyone else says. Do what you know is best for you!! Its not very often that I do things for ME things that are just to make ME happy.. So for this one time I did! I'm 2 days out of surgery and going home from the hospital today. And I'll tell you what, I'm glad I finally did this for ME! Good luck in your journey hun and just remember sometimes you just gotta think about yourself for a change!!!
  3. Jennay
    Jennay
    I have I'm 23 and I get that manly at work because everyone there is much older. All I can say when they tell me Jen this is really only for someone who has nothing else they can do or someone older with more diseases and I'm like well I have tried everything and I've already been over weight most of my life why do I have to waitt for it to get worst before I choice to make it better! Remember your doing this for yourself unfortunately not everyone will understand! Best of Luck!
  4. blake2012
    blake2012
    First of all, Congratulations on making the first step toward a happy and healthier you!! I got this surgery 7 months ago, and honestly, it was the best decision of my life. I wish I had known about this surgery earlier. My cousin was the first one in my family to get it done, February 2011, and honestly, I was one of those negative people, couldn't really understand why someone would resort to surgery. Having struggled with different weight loss products, diets, increase exercise, I was just tired of it all, and seeing the weight just fall off of her without trying, a light bulb went off inside my head.
    I've chosen not to tell people just for this simple fact, most people are negative and they don't even realize. You're telling anyone else what they should do, so really, it's none of their business. After being out of surgery for only a month, I could feel my mood change, and I've been becoming a happier person ever since, who could argue with that??!
  5. ACE
    ACE
    I havent had this since surgery but a few years before I mentioned thinking of WLS to my father and that was his response "try harder". He broke up with his GF of over 10 years and really bad depression actually helped him stop over eating so he seems to think that because he lost 100 lbs in a year by changing his diet that was all I should have needed. I haven't spoken to him in about 3 years (other issues mostly a nasty GF ) and I honestly wish I could just walk right up to him and say so what do you have to say now but I know that wont happen (unless I get to Maryland). I do know that the other people in my family who speak to him have mentioned my success to him and he just changes the subject, at first that hurt but now I realize no matter who it is who thinks whatever they want to think about me that I have to be happy with me and those people dont matter even my own father. If someone else cant be happy for you ry not to let it stop you in this journey to better health nothing should stand in anyone's way to good health Best wishes.
  6. Maria2089
    Maria2089
    I haven't told many people about the fact that I am going to have the surgery done except my mom and sister and two very close friends. So far everyone who I have told have been very receptive with the exception of my younger sister but I am pretty sure I know why she feels the way she does. But even she is not mean or negative about it. But I fear telling others for the pure fact that I will get negative comments, which I do think is unfair because it feels like I have to keep it some big secret. In the end I don't really mind not telling too many people because it really is not anyone's business but my own but it would be nice to be able to share in order to have some support. Then again that is a reason I joined this page/group because I knew I would have an entire community of people who would understand my situation! We are all in this together and that is something that makes this process a lot easier!
  7. amazonia
    amazonia
    Yes, I have definitely heard the "Well you're so young, why don't you just exercise more?!" The fact of the matter is, I HAVE exercised, I HAVE changed my diet, AND I'm still more than 100 pounds overweight. The people who are negative in my life are the same people who are negative about EVERYTHING positive anyone else tries to do. For me, my upcoming weight loss surgery isn't so I can "take the easy way out to get skinny," it's so I can get my body to a point where I am COMFORTABLE exercising, biking, and SWIMMING again--all things I've stopped doing because of the pain (and skin rashes) involved from being obese. The bottom line is that YOU (and your doctor) know what is the best option for you. Do not let anyone make you feel inferior for choosing to proceed with weight loss surgery.

P.S. I also am not telling anyone (outside of my parents) about my upcoming gastric sleeve.
  8. aggievet2323
    aggievet2323
    I have heard this my WHOLE LIFE. And for the longest time, I believed everyone who said it- i must not be working hard enough to do it! whats wrong with me?!! And then I realized, I HAVE tried! I have been trying my WHOLE LIFE! At this point in my life, I cant listen to other people put me down any longer. I have to do what is right for ME. I am having my gastric sleeve tomorrow, and though I am really nervous about surgery and the pain, I know it will be the best decision of my life. When I set my date for surgery, I had to decide who I was going to tell...Being a huge facebook user, I had to make the choice to NOT put it on there that I was having the surgery because I didnt want all of the slack going with it..I did however tell my very best friends...the ones I thought needed to know I was going to be having a surgery and was going to be put under general anesthesia...I was really nervous about what they would all say...would they be mad at me? Upset? Dissapointed? Well let me tell you what...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM told me how HAPPY they were for me...and how they had been there and seen me struggle my entire life with my weight and that they knew it wasnt a rash decision and that they were supportive and couldnt wait to see the results...man I tell you what- you really find out who your true friends are at times like these...I am so thankful for my friends and my family who are supporting me! So dont listen to others- listen to you BODY! You know what is right for YOU! Good luck!