Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Help-feeling hopeless and really down on myself

1. Lissy
    Lissy
    Hey all, yes it's me again. So I don't know wtf is going on with my body. I thought I had passed the stall, I finally lost three pounds after a week but now I'm stuck and gained a pound back. I cried. I know people say don't weigh every day but I have to because its what keeps me going. I guess I used to use food for that but I can't.
    Yesterday I ate:
    3/4 of a package of plain oatmeal with Splenda and cinnamon
    1/2 cup of butternut squash soup
    2/3 tbsp of refried beans
    1/2 an scrambled egg and two small slices of low fat cheddar
    2 no sugar puddings (granted not the smartest idea)
    Over the day 250ml of low sugar gatoraid and water

I can't imagine that this adds to more then 400 cal. I'm not being active still because I'm so fatigued and have a cold right now. I'm having a hard time thinking about exercise. Just walking around cleaning the house hurts my belly. Even if I didn't move an inch I should be losing more then gaining!

I'm so discouraged and really down today. I booked a trip to Hawaii for my daughter and I at the end of may and I would love to be as low as I can, it's 9 weeks away. I watch biggest loser and after 9 weeks they are down between 75-100lbs without surgery. I am just doubting this is going to work and I'm just going to still be fat without the pleasure of going out to a nice dinner. I really need some help guys!
  2. megs
    megs
    I feel the same way!! I am stalled for the second time, it's only been 2 1/2 weeks since surgery. I am mad because prior to the surgery I wouldn't care, I could have eaten chips and chocolate and been happy. I feel like it's never going to happen for me. I can't talk to any of my friends because according to them I am doing great and I can only say how proud I am of myself. Well I'm not proud of myself. I also have to weigh myself everyday, I can't help it. If one more person tells me to be patient, I think I may have to slap them. I just started exercising, I'm doing up to an hour, I am not sure how much more I will be able to do. I have no advice for you Lissy cuz I'm right with you. I am frustrated and depressed. I feel like I should go back on clear liquids and never eat again.
  3. bestnester
    bestnester
    What I see missing is the protein shakes. Is your doctor recommending those? I have 2-3 a day and they are about 4-6 ounces each with 1 scoop of protein. This helps heal me and give me the most needed nutrients.

Yesterday I got 450 calories and this is what I ate:
    Breakfast: protein shake with soymilk
    snack: 2 ounces peaches
    Lunch: 2 ounces chobani yogurt and 1 baybel cheese wheel
    snack: protein shake with soymilk
    Dinner: 1 turkey spinach meatball (homemade)
    snack: 1 cheese stick

I know this is such a hard phase. Not feeling well is the worst and you know that I have suffered from that girlfriend. I do fine that getting my shakes in, more calories in, and lots of water helps. I read that everywhere on this site, and you know what, they are right! Everyday I am feeling better. I am tired, lack energy, but it is getting better. I really try to acknowledge the small successes. Woo hoo, I got that shake down, or woo hoo that string cheese went down great! FInd what works, and also try new things. I have a list of o.k. foods, and I am making my way down them. I never look for the FULL feeling. I measure out 2 ounces and give myself the time to eat it, whether it takes 30 minutes or 45 minutes. In the beginning I felt that tight pain, but not in the last week. I chew well, focus on NOT drinking before or after. I think that makes a huge different. My doctor said not to drink 30 minutes before or after a meal. I haven't thrown up. I haven't been sick or felt pain when eating.
  4. Beachtammy
    Beachtammy
    There is a lot of websites that you can track calories consumed and burned. I use everydayhealth.com and they have a free app for your phone also. As far as watching the scale, it may play tricks on you due to fluid retention. I saw a stall and decided to add an extra walk. I try to walk after each meal for 30 mins so it keeps me from drinking anything. It seems to work for me. Good luck and don't let the scale get you down.
  5. Lissy
    Lissy
    Thanks guys, especially megs, its good to know I'm not alone. I have been using the protein shakes when I can't eat at home. I was drinking them everyday until I was allowed real food. I can't seem to get a whole one down and the rest is waisted. I looked at protein powder but was lost with what type and the containers are so big! I've had some extra family things that have gotten me down this week. My best friend who was my single mom friend is in a good relationship, getting engaged and trying for another baby. My brother just had his second baby on Monday night and I love being an Aunty but I've been single for years and now a widow. I want my life to begin! I have my daughter but I want more children and to marry again and those things are really weighing on my mind heavily too. I thought I would have the surgery and things would magically get better. I know it's stupid. Just feeling really down in every where possible.
  6. silver2319
    silver2319
    Just my observation but it looks like a lot of carbs you're eating...

I would focus more on protein from drinks and meat/fish and see if that helps.
  7. lisa1029
    lisa1029
    Are u doing any physical activity? Thats soo important too
  8. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    Hey Lissy -- Hang in there!! Have you tried on any of your clothes from before the weight-loss started? I'm losing pretty slow and was feeling discouraged so I got out a pair of pants that were skin-tight before surgery. They're loose now!!! That really motivated me and every time I sat down, I realized that the waistband wasn't cutting me in half! All of these good things will come . . . . don't focus to far into the future. Here is something that has really worked for me --- Everyday, I write down 3 good things that have happened or that I'm thankful for. They are often really, really simple. It helps me to remember the good and not focus on those things that are really getting me down. I know that you've had more than your share of grief recently . . . give yourself time to heal both physically & emotionally.

I'm in the same boat with the rest of you as far as eating goes . . . . . I can't drink the protein shakes without major stomach upset so I'm trying to get my protein in with yogurt, milk, and cottage cheese. Since I can't eat much, I know that I'm probably not getting all my protein in either. But, I try to remind myself that I'm just 3 weeks out . . . . I want time to fast-forward!!!

I just found a B-12 + patch that you put behind your ear that is supposed to deliver the vitamin more efficiently and help with energy. I just put mine on and am hoping it will work!!

Take care my February friends! It won't be long to we reach our goals!
  9. Lissy
    Lissy
    Haha. I have an anti nausea patch behind my ear, its a little crowded, lol. I have been trying to be protein focused. I don't care for meat so I'm doing the cheese, tuna, refried beans, yogurt,milk. I'm doing the best I can. I had a pair of jeans I bought in December in a size 16 and I couldn't get them over my hips. I was going to return them but never got around to it. I put them on Friday and they not only fit they where a bit big. That was nice.
    I have chronic pain so its hard for me to exercise, even walk and right now I'm so weak. My doctor told me to wait until six weeks before I start an exercise routine. All I know is that I'm doing the best I can but just feeling so down today.
  10. TinaF1971
    TinaF1971
    Lissy, I have chronic pain, myself! I was devastated when they told me I'd never be able to take my medicine for it ever again! I haven't been able to exercise due to the pain and feel depressed, myself. Maybe it's because we can't get around very well, not sure. I am having issues with school, so that has put me down, somewhat. I did have my two week followup with the surgeon and surgeon's assistant, today. I don't weigh myself daily, because I can't get up on the scale even! I use my husband to help balance me and he has to look at the numbers with a flashlight for me. So, I haven't been doing much weighing. Today when I got to the surgeon's office, I found I lost almost 30#! I also have noticed my pants are getting too big for me! Since I've started this journey, back in October of 2012, I was wearing a 5X in women's pants! Today, I am probably a 2X! I bought a 1X and they are a tad tight on me! Luckily, my 3X don't fall off yet. Anyway, I explained that part of my worries was my knee pain and getting on something to help, as I can barely walk. In fact, I had stopped taking the oral pain meds they gave me after surgery, but restarted them to try and help with my knee pain. So, I've been nauseous and dizzy all over again! The surgeon's assistant prescribed some Arthrotec for me, which is my usual Dicflofenac with some stomach protection in it! It won't be in at my pharmacy until the 8th, though. I wasn't able to eat meat during my pureed phase (they started me on that phase asap after surgery), all I had was yogurt and eggs. Today, I was graduated to the next stage where I can eat most any protein that I can mash with a fork. After the appointment, I had my husband grab some cottage cheese, tuna, and mayo. I am going to see if I can stomach some tuna salad. I did alright with the cottage cheese, though. We already have some Tilapia, that he's going to fry in egg and see if I can stomach that, too! Basically, I've been concentrating on getting my protein and water in. Oh and my two cups a milk a day. Simple things like making my food and water goals have been thing I've been looking forward to. If I look too far ahead, I get upset. It's silly, but I'm upset that I don't feel as if I'm losing weight on top. My blouses are still a 5X and some 6X's that have been shrunk in the wash. I really don't want to be top-heavy, but then when I start thinking that way, I stop because I'm thinking into the future. I log all my food into MyFitnessPal.com. They are another site that you can log your food and use a mobile app for your smartphone. It's nice, because you can add friends that are on the site and get encouragement from them! It does help out the ego, some! Anyway, I am so sorry to get off-topic. I just want you to know that I understand, even if we have different concerns. I think it might take a while for our bodies to calm down (I've been told by some that have had the surgery that they felt tired up to six weeks, maybe more, after surgery. My surgeon's assistant said most of it is from the anestecia--sorry can't spell it!) and adjust to our new stomachs! Don't give up hope! I do hope that you can enjoy your vacation with your daughter! As for finding love, I would try not to think of it. I know it's harder said than done! I stopped looking for mr. right and mr. right now long ago and happened to have mr. right wander into my life not long after I did so. We don't have any children, but we are happily married now! So it'll happen for you, someday! Just try to focus on you, right now! (((Hugs)))
  11. Lissy
    Lissy
    You guys are great! I too had to stop taking my chronic pain med since surgery, the pills where big and I had to take 2 twice daily. I just couldn't do it with my other meds. I'm just wrestling with my brain saying I should be doing more and my body saying don't! I wore real jeans on the weekend with a waistband and I am still sore. It wasn't small or pinching, my body is just used to Jammie pants since surgery. I really appreciate your guises support and also hearing about your journeys. All I do is take care of my daughter and watch TV. I'm exhausted by 5. I'm trying to not think too much about it until six weeks come. Hopefully things will get better by then. I'm not used to eating only protein because I don't like meat. I'm doing my very best. I'm on my own here. I know my daughter worries but no one in my life understands. They say you did this to yourself. Plus, since I lost my daughters father a month ago I am getting any time away from my daughter which is hard too. I've been really trying hard to do things with my kid on the weekends like swimming and activities to keep both of us distracted and active. I have signed us up for mother daughter yoga which starts in April. I think like everything in this journey the activity will come. My daughter is so excited to go cycling with her. She was so small the last time I could ride my bike I have a baby seat on the back. I'm looking forward to spring. We live on the west coast and therefore it has done nothing but rain since my surgery which makes it even harder to want to get out. Anyway, blabbing on. Thanks all
  12. megs
    megs
    Lissy I agree with everyone about the clothes. As depressed as I am about my weight (i finally packed away the scale) I have noticed my clothes were becoming slightly looser. I don't wear jeans much because I am a nanny and if I am in yoga pants all day I tend to jump on the treadmill whenever I have a few minutes. I put a pair on today and yes they were looser but I kind of ignored it. I walked about a block and they were falling down so much, they fell half way down my butt! I had to hold them to keep them on. I ended up coming back in the house and changing, good bye 22s they were all too big. I think one day it just clicks for us and we see a big change. I am not saying I am not horribly depressed and hate this process, but I think we will be rewarded eventually.
  13. dmassart
    dmassart
    I think a lot of the depression comes from our bodies changing. Our chemistry is changing also, so just give it a little time and things get better. I have some down days and I just say it's because of my body changing and that helps.