Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Here it goes. Lap-Band to Sleeve (Band a huge fail)

1. chloegal
    chloegal
    Well I bit the bullet. I am booked and flights scheduled. I am nervous and excited. I am traveling from Alberta Canada all by myself.

I did the same thing when I traveled to Ontario for the lap-band. Which was a huge Fail, I don't feel the company informed me about all the issues with the band and how easily it could fail. That is another story. Very disappointing.

So I am even more nervous abou this procedure. I don't want to have this fail too. Anyway, I would like to connect with others that will be having surgery the same day or time as I am so I don't feel so alone while I am there. Drop me a line
  2. Ottawaguy
    Ottawaguy
    I did this surgery in Aug 2011 with Dr. Mario, no regret except that I should have done it long time ago. I am from Ottawa and I researched for 6 months before deciding that this is the right surgery for me. Good luck and rest assure you will be happy
    If you feel you want to ask any questions, feel free to contact me.
    Regards,
  3. ZacB
    ZacB
    One of the guys who had his sleeve when I had mine was getting his lapband out and his sleeve done (he was a doctor himself). He was really happy about it. Good luck!
  4. rowdyrazorback
    rowdyrazorback
    Cholegal, you didnt say when you are going to have it done....mine is on April 15th....
  5. Minty
    Minty
    lost more weight in a month than 5 years with a lapband. Had lots of scar tissue from the lapband with some complications but Dr. Almanzo was fabulous. I am an NP that used to work a bariatric surgery unit so i know good work when i see it.
  6. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    I hear this more and more - have a few friends that hate the lapband and see how I progressed with the sleeve and want to have it done. From when I was researching I saw a lot of people changing over. Good luck
  7. chloegal
    chloegal
    I thought it was only me that was having the issues with the lapband. I followed their diet to a T nothing. I am fighting to get my money back.

I am scheudled for March 7, so bloddy excited. Just came back from a vacation and I cried looking at the photos. Thank you for your support everyone!
  8. alicemae
    alicemae
    Hi

I also had Lap band and didn't work for me either I was either getting food stuck in my stomach and going to fight with the hospital to get a de-fill and there were a couple times they wouldn't do it I had to wait to see the DR , the last time I had food stuck I woke up getting sick to my stomach and couldn't even keep my own saliva down so that was the turning point for me I made the decision to have the sleeve and I'm glad I did as soon as I figure how to eat I will be alot better off,I did loose 25 lbs with the band and gained it back now I'm down 25 lbs and hope to never see it again the weight loss is going slower than I thought , I asked my Dr about seeing a Dietitian and he told me I didn't need one just to watch what I was eating....chloegal let me know how you make out about getting money back and I will try myself,, they state you never have to diet again but that is exactly what you have to do so that is a untrue statement just my feeling anyway thats my rant...Good Luck everyone .....
  9. vmbayne
    vmbayne
    I went from lapband to sleeve this past November with Dr. Almanza and everything went very well! He advised me before the surgery that if I had too much scar tissue or any major issues with the band once he got in, then he wouldn't be able to sleeve me. I just told him to please do everything he could to get me sleeved! When I woke up from the surgery the first thing I asked was "Do I have my sleeve!!!" And they laughed and said I did! I got the lapband in 2008 and only lost 25lbs. I got countless fills and defills and never could get right and after four years I had to fight with the insurance company to have it removed. The said they would pay for them to take it out, but wouldn't pay for me to convert to any other bariatric surgery! That's when I started researching bariatric surgery outside the US and I came across Dr. Almanza's practice and after doing a lot of checking I decided to to to Mexico for my surgery because I definitely couldn't afford to have it in the US! That was the best decision I ever made in my life! I have gone down over 45lbs and I look great! Everywhere I go people who hadn't seen me in a while compliment me on how great I look and my fiancé' is trilled to say the least! The most important thing is my PCP took me off both of my high blood pressure medications! She was so happy that she gave me a hug! I feel and look so much better! You won't regret your decision to be sleeved! If you have any other questions about my experience feel free to contact me personally! Good luck with your surgery and God Bless You!
  10. Travis Guillot
    Travis Guillot
    Me and my wife arrived here yesterday morning on march 4, 2013 at san diego, ca airport at 9am. We immediately met with several other patients and their families at the designated terminal at the airport. Shortly there after a shuttle van from jerusalem hospital picked us up and brought us to the hospital in tijuana, mexico. As expected, and explained prior by several in the forum, the hospital was observed to be in a strip mall type setting, nothng fancy on the outside. Once inside, totally different, very professional staff that is on top of their game. Staff were very professional, gave us ekg, conducted blood test, full exam, then a very nice pre-op orientation occurred. Met several doctors who answered any and all questions. I was told that my surgery would be second in the morning between 6 and 7am. I had the second to lowest bmi, and lowest bmi patients go first. I can say that i met several patients that had their sleeve surgeries that morning, and they were up and walking around, appearing to be in good spirits. It made me feel very comfortable, and confident about tommorrow. We became aquainted with a very nice couple from seattle, washington, where as the female would be the lowest bmi ultimately having her surgery prior to mine in the morning. We were then brought to hotel ticuan (which is frikin nice) for the night. Myself and other patients would have to spend the night in the hospital after our surgeries for observation at least the first night if no complications, while our spouses would have to stay in the hotel rooms at hotel ticuan. After the first night in the hospital, we would be able to stay with our family memebers in hotel ticuan until friday when we should be released to leave, again if all goes well. As we all know, any surgey is a risk, but i can say that i am not nervous at all. I am very confident that it will go smoothly as planned, but i am that type of person. So, the next time eveyone hears from me i'll be sleeved! Stay tuned for more later, lol!
  11. Truffles
    Truffles
    Hi chloegal, I'm in Alberta, too (Edmonton) and I was sleeved by Dr. Almanza in August. I did not have a lapband first, though.

From what I remember, the band to sleeve revisions are generally done later in the day so make sure you have a book or something to do.

Good luck on Thursday!