Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Group Postings on Food or Drink

1. bestnester
    bestnester
    Hey girls! I feel like this would be a great post where we can come back to daily and write what we tried and what we liked or disliked. I swear this is all so new, and things I once loved, I can barely gag down.

I did find a perfect balance with the dreaded protein powder. I was getting devastated that I could NOT get the protein drinks down because my surgeon pushes for that like crazy.

I have the Isopure protein powder in the Dutch Cocoa, the Strawberry, and the unflavored. All three suck. Lol. Not gonna lie. I just don't think I like protein drinks. I cannot wait to get more protein from FOOD and then just 1 protein drink a day. That seems much more doable.

Anyways, here is the drink I was able to palate.

8 ounce Soymilk Vanilla Light
    1 scoop Isopure Dutch Cocoa

I couldn't believe how doable this was. I have it in my blender bottle and that helps keep it kinda frothy and light.

For breakfast I had 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

For lunch I had 2 oz canned chicken with a little greek yogurt. This was the first meat I had, and had no problem with it. It totaled 2 oz WITH the Greek yogurt, so really it was only a few little bites, but plenty. Took me about 45 minutes to eat.

I got down 1 20 ounce Powerade Zero so far and hope to get a second one down by bedtime.

Dinner I will take some black beans from the enchiladas I made and mash them up. Hope to get maybe 2 oz of those down.

What about you? Share your ideas, tips, and recipes!!
  2. bestnester
    bestnester
    Oh and PS the protein drink with soy milk was 32 grams of protein. SAWEET!
  3. Lissy
    Lissy
    A quick comment on black beans because I just bought some beans myself. There are almost triple the calories in black beans over others and I think the protein is the same. Just an FYI.
    Since being on soft foods I have not been able to get enough to drink or eat. I felt so horrible Monday and Tuesday. I was dehydrated! I read my post-op binder again last night and I had all the symptoms of dehydration, tummy cramps, headache, dizzy, dark urine, extreme nausea. I was going to go to the hospital but instead I got a 1L bottle of G2 and have almost finished that in one day. Water just wasn't doing it for me. With the gatoraid I had 3/4 of a protein drink and about 1/2 cup or refried beans at lunch and another just now with a slice of low fat cheddar melted with it. I'm on the patch and I've been taking my anti-nausea meds and I'm still weak but much better then before.
    When reading my binder my clinic says there are only three steps to real food:
    1. Day 1-3 clear liquids
    2. Day 3-14 liquids
    3. Day 14-28soft foods or anything you can easily mush with a fork
    Basically, since I'm on day 20 I should be able to have almost anything I want. My book said that the soft food phase is to prepare yourself for all foods. By now I should be making normal dinners for my family and eating a bit of everything within reason, no raw fruits or veggies or dry meat. They even suggest crackers. Once the one month mark comes around I can eat whatever I want if I'm mindful of the portions. This made me feel a lot better to be able to get back to my normal diet. It wasn't what I was eating mostly but how much. My book also stressed that I should have good food. Because I have such little room in my stomach its not worth wasting it on junk or fast food.
    That made me feel a little better. Today I'm worried that I'm going to be this weak pathetic sick person for the rest of my life. This was supposed to increase my energy not reduce it. If I do anything I'm exhausted. I want to start exercising but I can't even fathem the thought of it. I can't take a shower or stand for more then five minutes without being sick or dizzy. I pray this will improve, it's not like they can put my stomach back in. I suppose I didn't realize how long and difficult the recovery would be.
  4. bestnester
    bestnester
    Lizzy, that was totally me yesterday. I remember thinking am I going to be like this forever? I have the same food schedule as you. I am now on pureed/mushy foods for a week and then soft foods. Mostly, I am just going by what I see and what I feel like. Yesterday I only got 187 calories in. After talking to my nutritionist, she suggest the black beans for now (she told me the calorie difference too) just until I can get some more calories in.