Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Looking for a surgery buddy. Anyone the 13th?

1. bestnester
    bestnester
    I would love to have a surgery buddy who I can check in with after the surgery!

I only have to do a 1 week liquid diet before the surgery, but starting Monday the 4th I will begin to remove food so it's not so hard on the 6th. I think my biggest anxiety is being hungry, but my life is busy with two kids and a hubby in law school, so I know if I keep busy it'll help. My Mom is flying in for a week after surgery to help me recover. I recover well from surgery (have had my gallbladder and appendix removed, and a c-section) so I am not scared of the pain. This will be a huge life change for my whole family. I can't imagine where I will be in a year from now, but it will be better than where I am at now.
  2. djssv0523
    djssv0523
    ME!!!! Im scheduled for the 13th! I started my liquid preop diet today (actually a day early). Doc wanted it for two weeks. Im staying busy as well. Three daughters and a DH. I manage a large medical practice so that keeps me on the run too. I went on a road trip with my husband yesterday and he treated me to my "last supper" at Toby Keith's. I really wasn't bad though, made smart choices and didn't gorge. I'm sooooo ready. The next two weeks are going to drag so bad. I think what worries me the most is the post op. Im only planning to be off work 5 days. That doesn't even bother me as much as counting on my husband and kids to do chores for me. My horses are just a touch spoiled and Im definitely not going to be able to lift any hay or buckets of feed. My fear is that I will have some sort of complication which would put a huge burden on my family. Im sure that's one of everybodies fears though.

Good Luck and stay in touch! We are gonna get through this together!
  3. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    Add me too! My surgery is the 14th and I have to do a 2 week clear diet. I'm starting mine on Friday. Yesterday, I decided to try a protein shake for breakfast . . . oh my . . . I was quite hungry!! I can't imagine 2 weeks with nothing but protein drinks (no milk added), broth, or jello! I like to EAT & CHEW! After surgery, I have another 2 weeks of clear liquids & protein. I'm taking 2 weeks and will be able to eat soft foods by the time I go back to work. I'm nervous about surgery but excited! It will be so different ---- good different --- but different! Good luck to both of you!!
  4. bestnester
    bestnester
    Hey ladies! I never thought I would need some friends after the surgery, but you will definitely be the people I will go to while I figure out this journey! I am getting more excited the closer it gets. I have just as much anxiety about it. I too fear complications that will hinder my progress. I just don't want to add any MORE stress to my family. We are in MI and all of our family lives in Idaho and Utah. So, we will need to rely on each other.

Have you told many people about your surgery? What are their reactions? I have only told 1 person that isn't family. It just feels strange haha
  5. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    Yes, it will be so nice to share this experience!! I have told a small group of friends, parents, and sister. I have 3 grown boys and I haven't told them. I will likely do so after its done but I know they will try to talk me out of it. My husband is very supportive. I don't know how my friends will respond when I start to lose weight. We've been a group of "fat" girls, as we call ourselves. Our favorite thing to do is go out to eat, shop, movies, etc. I think they will be supportive --- I hope so! I'm excited to finally lose weight but I find myself waking up in the middle of the night with worry. I'm not sure what I'm worried about!!!
  6. djssv0523
    djssv0523
    The only one that knows for me is my husband. This would just scare my kids too much. They know Im having surgery (gallbladder) but thats all. My husband is also very scared but desperately trying to be supportive and not show it. He's thin and athletic and can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound. He knows how badly I want to be active with him and the kids. As for everybody else, none of their business.
  7. Bride2b
    Bride2b
    I'm the 13th too! I am having my lap band taken out and revised to the sleeve. I am also having a small hernia reared.
  8. Bride2b
    Bride2b
    Happy Valentine's Day to us
  9. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    I agree! Happy Valentine's to us!!
  10. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    Djssv - I see you're also from Iowa!!
  11. waiting2bthin
    waiting2bthin
    Mine surgery is scheduled for Feb 11th - started pre op diet Monday which consists of 2 protein shakes and a small meal 3 oz protein w/ 1 cup of non starchy veggies. I am having horrible hunger headaches and feel faint. My surgery is also a revision from band to vsg with a hernia repair. I work from home so I'm pretty much isolated and would love to share the journey.
  12. waiting2bthin
    waiting2bthin
    My surgery is scheduled for Feb 11th - started pre op diet Monday which consists of 2 protein shakes and a small meal 3 oz protein w/ 1 cup of non starchy veggies. I am having horrible hunger headaches and feel faint. My surgery is also a revision from band to vsg with a hernia repair. I work from home so I'm pretty much isolated and would love to share the journey.
  13. Debi Lee
    Debi Lee
    My surgery is on the 13th!! I'm really stoked and looking forward to a new lifestyle!!
  14. Jeni Cerone
    Jeni Cerone
    I'm a thirteen too. Nice to meet all of you!!
  15. bestnester
    bestnester
    Today I started my liquid part of the diet. My surgeon wants 7 days, but I wanted to start on a Monday. So today the 4th, I started. I plan on lots of soups for lunch and dinner, and a big filling smoothie in the morning. This morning I had banana, strawberry, apple, oats, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 packet of carnation instant breakfast, and about 1 cup skim milk. Threw in some ice cubes and my Vitamix made this into a perfect liquid drink. I am lucky because I don't spend most of the day eating, I am a night eater. So, as long as I can get some good soup in for dinner, I should be set for the night. Luckily water is my friend and I started drinking 64 ounces a few weeks ago to get into the habit. Habits will be important for me.

Still struggling to sleep. I am a anxious person normally, so once my head hits the pillow, my mind starts wandering. This Friday I am heading to the store to stock up on my needs for post op. Then shop for my family to make sure they have everything they need so I wont have to hit the store for hopefully a week after the surgery.

This is going to be a crazy last 9 days! We can do it ladies. We have the strength. I know it!
  16. wepage02
    wepage02
    I had my surgery on the 12th of February. I'm home now and the sips are going down easier. I even managed to take some of my regular medicine today. How are you all feeling emotionally now that your surgery is over?
  17. djssv0523
    djssv0523
    Still in the hospital and absolutely miserable. Wishing that I hadnt done this. I also had my gallbladder removed. Went into pancreatitis. Hating pretty much heing alive. One day at a time is turning into hour by hour. Hoping to go home tomorrow. All of you that traveled to Mexico im not sure if im in more shock or awe. It sure wouldn't have been me. The thought of the 1.5 hour car ride is enough to gve me the heebie jeebies. Good luck and I hope everyone is getting along better than me.
  18. wepage02
    wepage02
    djssv0523, Hang in there! My first 2 days in the hospital were awful! I was in so much pain and was asking myself what I had done! It IS getting easier though and I am now able to keep down liquid protein and move around. I also have horses and feel terrible about not helping with chores, but I have to keep reminding myself that I will be better for it in the long run, and so will they! Thinking of you!
  19. djssv0523
    djssv0523
    Thank you for the encouragement webpage02. Just when I start feeling partly human I get knocked on my arse. Today was a touch better than yesterday and tons better than the day before that. Hopefully I will start to feel somewhat human soon. I cant get all of the water in..cant hadly think about the protein. At leasy finally home.
  20. Jasmine
    Jasmine
    I just got out of the hospital today. Today I've only been able to drink about 32 ounces - trying to sip some protein mixed in apple juice. I still feel pretty crappy but I know it takes time. In the hospital, I did have some "buyer's remorse." Even now, I'm wondering why I did this .. . . . . But . . . .too late now! I know it will get better. I was sleeved at the same time as a much younger woman and she was up and about right away . . . I think she was having a party in her room! I'm wondering if our age plays a part in the recovery process. Anyway, best wishes on a speedy recovery!!