Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

People trying to change your mind last minute.

1. Rachel Idol
    Rachel Idol
    Ok I am only a few short days away from surgery (24th). When 10 min ago I have my sister hit me with a long letter via private message on Facebook. It went to say how she thinks I'm making a huge mistake and went on to tell me horror stories etc. I am just in shock..
  2. A_New_Meek
    A_New_Meek
    Aww that's horrible! Well all you can do is tell her your doing it and she either needs to stick by you or don't. Dont let that discourage you! I definitely know how you feel my surgery is on the 30th and my parents occasionally sneak in the "are you sure you want to do this" question. Just stay focused and remember this is all for YOUR benefit and for YOU to have a better life style.

Wishing you the best in your new journey :-)
  3. Rachel Idol
    Rachel Idol
    Thank you. For a little bit I started 2nd guessing myself. But after a long chat with the hubby I am feeling a little better. I am 10lbs down and have worked my butt off in this pre-op diet sticking to it to the T. I even down loaded Lose it! On my iPhone so I can keep track of my intake. I just hate that she is doing this and of all things now!
  4. lindmar
    lindmar
    She is probably just scared because she doesn't have all the information you have. I've had a few people seriously question me about my decision to have the surgery and I just tell them all my reasons. Especially that I feel I will add YEARS to my life thru this.
  5. Scubagecko
    Scubagecko
    I think your Sister is coming from love and fear. As previously mentioned she doesn't have the information you do. The complication rates for most surgeons are less than 2% and that includes even the most minor complications. The only horror stories I've heard of the sleeve from the best docs are leakages which can occur and require further surgery to fix, and a longer stay. My doc showed me not only his stats but the worldwide stats he received from a conference he attended about the sleeve surgery and then compared to the other surgical options the sleeve has the lowest complication rates.

Of course everyone claims to have an anecdote about someone but I've talked to dozens of people that have been sleeved, here and other sites and a few friends that have gotten it as well. and while the surgery is no picnic and the first week has its struggles that I'm sure you are aware of after that life gets so much better and the weight starts to come off which is the best part.

I can't tell you how to deal with your sister, or other family members, but you should do what you believe is best for your body and life.
  6. only me
    only me
    Dont let them talk you out of it. Im 6 days out and am going great. I already feel better and am not hungry. This is for YOU not anyone else. You will regret not doing it in the long run. Its your healthy happiness and well being for the long term you are working toward. Its easy for others to give their thoughts but they dont know what we have gone through to be at this point. Go for it and have a huge smile on your face. Its an exciting time just think of the future !!
  7. pinnie
    pinnie
    I am 9 days away from having my sleeve op and my mum every single day actually tells me not to do it. I know she is not being mean it is because she cares and is scared. I can't tell you what to say to your sister but I told my mum I am doing it regardless. That I know she is worried and that it is ok. Then I tell her it is my choice and I am doing it for me and I would really like her support and then asked her to stop telling me not to do it as that itself upsets me and won't change my mind. I go in on the 30th. Wishing you all the best xxo
  8. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    I agree with everything everyone else has said. She just loves you and is scared. But, information is king! When I started doing my research I knew my dad would be the most protective one, so I sent him all my research and told him to find me a reason to NOT do it. In the end, he was COMPLETELY on boadr and very excited for me. Does that mean he didn't worry? Of course not! But, he also knows how I have struggled and yo-yo'd my entire adult life and I finally had some hope of a tool to help me manage for the rest of my life!

Give her your information if you think it might make her feel better. But this is for YOU. And you'll be on the other side soon and your sister will see how fabulous this is for you!!
  9. Rachel Idol
    Rachel Idol
    Thanks for the support y'all! I am feeling so much better about it!
  10. ChrissyD
    ChrissyD
    I'm so sorry Rachel But I agree I'm sure it is out of love and concern. My Mother-law thinks since I have lost 10 lb pre opt that I no longer need the Sleeve. Bless her heart I need to lose 130lb lol She is just worried about me. But at the same time Supports me 100% and is even moving in for 3-5 days to take care of my kids and hubby so my hubby can focus on me. But I stopped telling friends I was getting this done because I got sick of the ney sayers.

You and I are both getting ou sleeve on the 24th so I will be thinking for you. I can't wait to hear how GREAT you do!!!!
  11. INKDOLL
    INKDOLL
    my friend did this to me as well... i think its out of concern, or personal opinion.. obviously this isnt an option for everyone so they are not all for it... i have surgery the 24th too.. a little nervous i must say... thursday is soooo close YIKES
  12. Rachel Idol
    Rachel Idol
    It is!! I have been looking at the calendar on and off all day. Tomorrow I go and meet with the anesthesiologist tomorrow moring and do the 72hr blood work, and PG test. Not to worried about it.. Its starting to get real! I will be thinking of you ladies. Good luck to us all. :-)
  13. alanna
    alanna
    Hey, I'm having surgery the same day! I am just now beginning to tell people because of this very reason. I obviously told my husband about the surgery, and as long as he is on board, then that is all I need. I haven't told my parents yet, but they live 1000 miles away and I barely talk to them. I told my sister that I was having surgery, and of course she tried to talk me out of it. But when I told her my weight (at the time I was 260) she knew why I was doing it. She still isn't a huge fan, but at least she understands. Good luck tomorrow!