Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Pre-op diet?

1. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    So, when did you begin your pre-op diet? As soon as I booked I got the pre-op diet and the criteria to lose 11 lbs. As a band/sleeve conversion I have to do liquid diet 2 full weeks prior to surgery, and it seems non revision is liquid diet 9 days before surgery.

So, did you begin a diet before your liquid diet kicked in?
  2. BeccaDawn
    BeccaDawn
    I am a revision, but I got the choice between 30 days of Atkins induction, 14 days of 2 protein shakes and one sensible meal, or 9 days of 3 protein shakes a day and lettuce with wishbone spray dressing. I got a jumpstart on the 14 day diet, then switched to the 9 day 3 days ago. My starting weight was 230 and I am down to 223 so far, but I'm trying to get down to 218 by my surgery day on the 15th. So 5 lbs in 6days! I guess it's doable!
  3. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    I did diet before the liquid diet kicked in, yes. I was given the criteria of 12 lbs before my surgery date (putting me at 227), and I didn't want to leave it all to the pre-op diet, just in case. I was 238.8 the day I booked.

I am not a revision, but I was given the same choices as BeccaDawn (you can do it!!!). I chose the 9 day liquid diet, feeling it would be the most effective. I did the 2 protein shakes and one sensible meal on my own for a couple weeks beforehand, and while I dropped weight, it wasn't overly drastic (but it wasn't every day, either).

I started on Saturday, one day early, so I'll be doing a 10 day liquid diet. So far I have dropped 5 lbs since starting!! I am 227.8 this morning, and I still have a week to go!!
  4. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    I got basically the same info as you guys did, but was told with revision it had to be full 14 days of liquid diet so I didn't get the same options as BeccaDawn. I'm also starting the liquid/sensible meal approach as I've a lot of travel in the coming weeks and while I won't be able to be 100% between now & the 14 day period but it should help.

During the second week of the liquid diet I'll be at a conference! Will be hard but should be doable. Will have to figure out hwo to decline client dinners.

Similar weight as you both - 229 and have to get to 218. Will be great to have a similar group that we can exchange info!
  5. HoosierGirl
    HoosierGirl
    Pulled in my surgery date to Monday, Feburary 4. So I will start the diet earlier than planned! I need to lose 12 lbs before surgery. Start at 233 and must be at 221 or less.
  6. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    good luck! I wanted to go earlier, but have to speak at a conference that week. I need to start buckling down. I too had some of those "goodbye to some favorite" food days recently. Course I know eventually I may be able to have those things again, just not for months and not in any significant quantity.
  7. HoosierGirl
    HoosierGirl
    Ha ha! I know what you mean! I think the last time I was on a liquid diet, I was in DIAPERS!

What I am telling myself is the pre-op phase is my opportunity to find the protein drinks I prefer most vs. being on a liquid diet. For me this diet is 100% a mental game to "win" at my surgery procedure.

Oh yeah - I am totally off my rocker!
  8. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Congrats on moving your surgery up!
  9. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    It's kinda cool we're all about the same starting weight. Okay, so I did the 'last meal' syndrome for about a week - but not every meal. Gained about 2 lbs. Over the past week or so, I've done kinda half-ass on the pre-op diet and have lost that. However, I've turned that around over the past several days.

I'm now 3 weeks from surgery but have two business trips during this period so I've started the more serious diet phase early. Two pounds down, yay! 9 more to go to reach to goal weight. I'm packing protein drink mixes on this weeks trip which involves one business steak house dinner (actually pretty easy as they always have grilled fish & salads) but there are also two "family style" catered lunches at Maggianos where I won't have much choice. Figure again there will be salad.

Then when I get home it's full-on liquid diet for the final 2 week push. And, of course the week before surgery I've another trip - this one full of cocktail receptions. Geesh. I'm powering through!
  10. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Way to go!! It will all be over soon and soooo worth it!!