Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Lesson's Learned Thus Far... How are you feeling?

1. Shirl
    Shirl
    Happy 3-Month Sleeversary Y'All!

I am just two days past 3mo post op, and feeling pretty great. I have not weighed or measured myself since I am on a 9-day moving odyssey from California to Texas... I wrote blogged a bit about it on my monthiversary.

I wanted to reach out and ask what lessons you have learned so far in this journey post op? What has been working? Have you gone back for checkups or gotten lab results?

I am still in a learning curve; every day there is something new or different to learn or experience. For instance: for the past three days, for breakfast, I have eaten 1/4 cooked oats, two tablespoons of raw nuts, and one teaspoon raisins mixed with about 1/4 milk, when done I ate a small 4oz container of yogurt and drank half a cup of coffee. This morning, I could hardly finish the oats. A similar thing happened yesterday for dinner; We had been on the road for three hours, and when we got to our destination I was ready to eat a cow! (I did have a protein drink and a yogurt during that drive.) My partner ordered potato skins, and we ordered Chicken Fajitas to share. My mouth was salivating when they brought the potato skins; I took one, and when I took a bite of it, it tasted rancid! The potato tasted grainy like it was old, or freeze burn I guess, and the cheese bad. My partner said they were delicious!

When the fajitas came out, I had one tortilla with mostly chicken and Pico de gallo. That was my dinner last night, whereas a few nights before I ate a cup of thick bean soup, two large grilled shrimp, and a tortilla with Cochinita Pibil (stewed pork).

Last week, I loved the Black Tea Isopure no carb drink, this week it is undrinkable... too sweet.

Some days, it feels like the restriction is tighter than others, and some days it feels like I can eat more than others. What has your experiences been with the amount of solids you are able to eat at this juncture?

The only thing that I have done consistently is to choose nutrient-dense foods first, it has not been perfect but I try.

I had a horrible reaction to a chocolate elixir - it is a pure form of hot chocolate - the way indigenous Mayans used to drink it 100% cacao and chili, I think this one may have been made with some milk and a bit of sugar. You drink in in very small cups, espresso size. After I drank a few sips of mine, my heart started raising and I felt as if I was going to faint. I would feel that way when I had not eaten and I had a glass of wine or something too sugary, but I had a healthy protein rich lunch about an hour earlier so that scared me. Not doing that again! I am not sure if it was a sugar high or drop, or my blood pressure went way up.

Talking about blood... I had my 3 mo followup, all was well. I had labs done they checked my iron, protein, vitamins levels. My B12 levels were eleveted so they recommend I only take my supplement once a week. My Protein levels were slight low, and they asked me how much protein I was taking - I have been consistent with 80-95g of protein for the past five to six weeks, with about 30% of that being from protein shakes. They told me to continue to keep that up, and that I should be okay. But I have been reading on protein absorbtion, and since most protein supplements are not FDA regulated they could be lying about how much absorption some protein supplemts actually have. Now I am trying to get 100% of my protein from solid food, which with restriction is challenging.

My go to protein supplement has been Premier Protein premade shakes, and Isopure Black Tea no carb drink - not sure if these are working for me. Once I settle back to a routine, I will go back to start using my RAW Fit protein powder, and Tera's Whey to see if they are a better source of protein for supplementation.

According to an article I read, we are supposed to be consuming .5g of protein per pound of our weight, another has a formula (see page 10 http://www.memorialcare.org/sites/de...guidelines.pdf) either way reports say that folks that consume higher ratios of protein feel better and report to lose more fat than those that don't.

Keep up all your hard work, it will pay off!
  2. Pam G
    Pam G
    Have you gone back for checkups or gotten lab results?no checkups, but I did go in for lab work. the doc said everything was fine, but when I looked at the results myself, I found that my triglycerides were high, my cholesterol ratio was high, and my B12 was low! He's a turd.

Some days, it feels like the restriction is tighter than others, and some days it feels like I can eat more than others.

this happens to me, too. Weird, isn't it?

I am trying to get 100% of my protein from solid food, which with restriction is challenging. I started tracking on MFP. I'm getting waaaaay more protein through food than I realized.

I'm losing hair, too. But I was expecting it. It came on like clockwork!
  3. Mrs_Wine
    Mrs_Wine
    I have pretty much settled into my pattern at this point. I KNOW that I can eat anything I want in small portions, BUT I chose not to eat carbs at this point and it works for me. I eat mostly lean proteins. I can't really eat steak, it's too chewy and tough for me. Salmon gets too dry so I make salmon salad with fat free mayo. I have been drinking alcohol probably more that I should, we were on vacation last week . I used to love red wine, can't drink it anymore it gives me a major heart burn. I just joined Orange Theory fitness, looking forward to more intense workouts at this point. I do have to say that my husband has been my rock through all of this. He watches me like a hawk and is super supportive. I am mostly proud of myself for losing 3 lbs while were on vacation, I walked every single day and ate healthy (besides the white wine part ) Getting there slow and steady. I am proud of each and everyone one of you, great job ladies!
  4. sassy252
    sassy252
    I read remember 2 P's ..Protein and Produce