Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Having a hard time with not smoking.........

1. daniellednw19832
    daniellednw19832
    they tell you to quite smoking 2 weeks before surgery and I'm scheduled for surgery on May 13th. I was able to cut back for a month now but now it seems like every other minute I'm thinking about smoking. My surgery is way more important than smoking but smoking is a disease like food in my eyes. Anyone else struggle with this problem or am I alone on this one?
  2. kenza
    kenza
    U are totally not alone with this. I too had the worst time trying to stop smoking. But i came to realise that with my new body and new lifestyle. Smoking had to go ! Just a matter of starting afresh. Now this may seem easy to say , nut i promise u , it was not easy to do. I still have cravings often ... (i only stopped 3 weeks ago) but we can do this AND WE SHALL!!!!!
  3. Thinme
    Thinme
    Just think how much better you'll feel and how much better you'll heal. Smoking caused vasoconstriction every time you inhale which decreases the blood supply to your new healing stomach. If you are having a hard time you could use patches or the electronic cigarettes to wean off the nicotine. It's a lot better for you then actually smoking. I wish you luck. I'm a new sleever as of 04/08 and a Critical Care RN I can tell you the nightmares of smoking but lets not go there. I commend you for quitting it isn't easy but well worth it in the long run and here's a pat on the back and keep up the good work.
  4. one4sailn
    one4sailn
    You know, I've had a struggle with this recently, and I am almost 2 months post-op. I quit smoking (after nearly 25 years) on December 24th, 2013. Yep...Christmas Eve. I just had my 4 month anniversary of not smoking. This sleeve is a dream of mine for many years and there wasn't ANYTHING I wasn't willing to do or give up for this procedure. Now, 2 months out, I am REALLY struggling for the first time with giving up cigarettes. The psychological part of this is impossibly difficult for me. I had a VERY active social life, and I was constantly going for dinner/drinks with friends. (Yes, I realize this contributed to the weight gain...LOL) Now what I am left dealing with, is that I have given up EVERY vice I had, all at once. Cigarettes, food, and alcohol. It's tough. I had a couple of the electronic cigarettes (vapor) that I used for 30 days when I quit smoking. I literally refilled them just last week because I knew in my mind that I had half a foot inside a convenient store to buy a pack of cigs. I have used it MAYBE twice in a week, and will keep it in case I have that urge. It's preventative. I'm determined to tough this out!!

Btw, It is SO nice to not smell of smoke, or even the HINT of smoke, anymore. Also, I'm a girlie girl and there is nothing girlie or attractive about a smoker's cough. Mine was gone within 30 days of quitting. Good luck! (to both of us!)
  5. daniellednw19832
    daniellednw19832
    I'm happy that I'm not alone. I'm gone tough it out but I'm the mornings and right before bed is really a hard time for me. Yes giving up food, cigarettes and alcohol at the same time. They say it takes 21 days to break a habit but it's more so of an addiction. I should be ok if my last smoke was Monday and surgery date is 5/13. Thank all of you for the support.
  6. one4sailn
    one4sailn
    You got this!
  7. Just J
    Just J
    I also went through the same thing. The electronic vapors helped me a lot! Because it allowed me to still puff and the hand to mouth routine especially in the mornings. Although it had no nicotine I was able to get some different flavored "juice" that made it better with plenty of eucalyptus. It really is a mind thing, because now I don't even need the vapor. I agree with the lady above that if I do get tempted I wouldn't hesitate to load up my ecig again, anything not to smoke!
  8. Just J
    Just J
    Btw, Best Wishes To You