Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Post Op Diet - Zero energy...HELP!

1. one4sailn
    one4sailn
    I was sleeved on March 6th, and as far as the surgery goes, I am doing fantastic. My incisions look really good, and sutures are out! My greatest issue is lack of strength/weakness/no energy. I believe this will all change on Thursday, when I will be 2 weeks post op and can add in some protein to my diet. (Something about 10 calorie sugar-free jello cups and popsicles just are not getting my body any fuel. LOL)

Here's my question to those who have gone before me...

Can I try some yogurt now? Can I try a little protein shake now? If I'm feeling good, and not having problems swallowing, etc, do I HAVE to wait until the 14th day to start trying new mushy food?

Thanks for any help. Today is my first day back at work and I literally had to take an hour and a half long nap at lunch to make it til the end of the day! LOL I'm struggling with strength.
  2. Tigerga
    Tigerga
    I started on my protein shakes as soon as I got home. It's different for every one. I had no problems.
  3. lmk1952
    lmk1952
    Hi. I have low energy too. I think that clear broth helps. I have been sipping protein shakes since I came home. Jello goes does very easy for me. Hopes this helps. Take care.
  4. one4sailn
    one4sailn
    Thank you for your responses!! Just wasn't sure if there was a possibility that the protein could impose on the healing process, or why they stated none of that until weeks 3-4, you know?

I may try some yogurt, tonight, or a small bit of a protein shake. I thought I recalled hearing them tell us "if you want to try something, go ahead. You'll know if your body can't handle it just yet."
  5. chrisv1313
    chrisv1313
    Hi :-)

I am 7 weeks now and I remember being like you for some time. I was so weak and could not do anything. I am not sure that a bit of protein would help with that right now as you will probably get sick. That is great your incisions are doing well...a few from my group had big time infections. I think reading as much as you can on here with all the posts tells you a lot, and that is good to be asking questions...I got a lot of my information by reading and trial and error. I think the most important thing to do is liquids, rest and walk when ever you can.

I guess I tried things before the time line outlined then some of my group and surprisingly I was good with it all...maybe a bit scary as at times I wondered maybe they forgot to do my sleeve...LOL but I did try anything soft or liquid...sometimes even chunky soup through out the chunks and sipped on the soup. I sure got sick of the popsicles, jello and all the things you are suppose to eat. The thought of any of that now makes me very sick. I also cannot vomit, haven't been able to for years so I have to be real careful. Maybe a good thing as I am sure that is very hard on your body.

Best advice I can say is eat your chewable vitamins...very important. Once you can have a bit more in your stomach take iron and try and get B12 injections. I get them every other week and it really helps. Try what you can within reason on the "Post-Op" sheets...but trust me it is a whole new learning curve learning to eat a whole different way...sometimes I forget and I am sick, very sick. When I over do it I break out in a sweat and shake with chills. I am bent over in pain and so weak I have to lay down after wrenching for an hour. I almost went to the hospital because I was so sick...since that time I really go slow, take breaks and chew everything completely...even water...LOL

Also a strange thing I notice is that NOTHING tastes good anymore. If something does that is the times I had maybe a bite too much and now the thought of it makes me ill. Sweet things are way too sweet, salty is way too salty and things I used to really like it is gone, gone from my food memory of it being a "good" thing...basically the thought of it all is pretty bad, so now I only eat to fuel...LOL maybe that was the whole idea. I always ate for enjoyment, now it is only to stop the shakes, and get energy. I find it really tough to get all the protein in so now I get the protein drinks from Costco they have 30g and eat a protein bar 20 grams and I am good...you need 50-60grams a day and I found there just was not enough hours in the day to get it in...as you cannot eat and drink at the same time and all the waiting in between and the small portions it seems undoable but now I have found a good way that works so I will stick to it.

You will get through it....Christine
  6. decemberroses
    decemberroses
    My papers from Dr. Almanza say protein powder with milk or water is fine. The doctor I was seeing here in the US before going to Mexico says the first week is liquids to include protein shakes and week 2-3 are slushy/pureed food as tolerated along with liquid. The liquids diet includes yogurt without the fruit too. I guess you have to see what you can tolerate. I had the hardest time getting anything down until today--my surgery was March 11. I too am pretty tired. I tried taking a vitamin today, and it kind of made me gag a little.
  7. SDolan
    SDolan
    I was dr inking 3-4 protein drinks a day, eating Greek yogurt, lots of broth, Popsicles and jello when I got home for the next 4 weeks, then started on cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, cream of wheat plus keeping the protein drinks to a minimum of two a day until you can start solid foods.
  8. TrudyL
    TrudyL
    A sublingual vitamin D supplement saved me. It is a liquid vitamin that goes under your tongue. It gets absorbed quickly they the soft tissue!!!!