Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Irresponsible to get surgery with no follow up care?

1. hanna90
    hanna90
    I don't have health insurance, (opted out of Obama Care & paid the fine.) Would it be irresponsible to get the surgery anyway? I'm very healthy besides being overweight, I have no other conditions. I have never had the flu, rarely get colds or infections and I heal very fast so even though it's risky without it, is follow up care an absolute necessity for someone like me? Thanks
  2. CountryGirl72
    CountryGirl72
    I had surgery in Mexico. Aftercare has been unnessicary. :-) U just have to follow your heart. Best decision I ever made. ;-)
  3. amayzme
    amayzme
    I went to TJ mexico. self paid. basically healthy. have sleep apnea( due to weight) surgery wt 220# ...8 weeks later 185# Goal wt 140# (I'm 5'6" tall and just turned 60) i did notify my general practioner in order to schedule regular blood tests to be sure I'm taking enough and the right kinds of vitamins.
  4. TXRN
    TXRN
    Honestly, I think you are taking a big gamble. As an ER nurse I see a lot of "young and healthy" patients without insurance. Nobody expects to get sick or get into an accident, but it happens. One trip to the ER for abdominal pain can easily run anywhere from $5,000-$10,000+. A CT scan alone is around $2,000. And if you get admitted good luck. I will say uninsured patients do get a 70% discount, but I have friends who will be paying their medical bills for the next 10 years.

I wouldn't risk it, especially if I knew I was having an elective surgery.
  5. TrudyL
    TrudyL
    You absolutely need after care! You need doctor advice on proper vitamins to take, regular blood tests to make sure the lack of food is still nourishing your body. What if you're one who has hair loss that is associated with this? You will need stitches removed as well. I think you're taking a HUGE gamble by not having after care. I was told by my doctor even before I left that even the medications they sell you in Mexico can be wrong meds and wrong dosages. Plus they have no idea of your health or history and can recommend something completely unnecessary or even dangerous. I am also perfectly healthy other than extra pounds and I ended up with a nasty flu once I returned home. Your body will be run down and healing itself and mine just couldn't fight off anything else.
  6. hanna90
    hanna90
    I will have the opportunity at my job soon to opt in for their insurance plan (although it specifically excludes bariatrics), but I will do it just to be safe. Thanks everyone for your responses!