Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

About me and questions

1. bumblebee813
    bumblebee813
    Hi,
    I'm new to this group but i have some questions.
    Here is a little about me
    I'm 22 i'm From new jersey and although its not "marriage" i'm married to an amazing woman. she isn't thrilled with the idea of me getting surgery. right now i weight around 330 my highest was 347. i've been heavy my entire light but always active. When i talk about the surgery people always say i was born to be fat and i wouldnt look right is i was skinny. well i don't want to be skinny i want to be a normal healthy size. any ways so here are my questions

Did your partners eventually come around?
    What was the hardest thing to do preop?
    How was the pain after surgery?
    Would you do it again?
    Words of wisdom...

Thanks
  2. goddessinside
    goddessinside
    I don't do much except lurk on these pages but I felt that I needed to speak to your concerns. About me, I am 55, married to a wonderful woman who is very supportive in almost every way....BUT..when it comes to the weight loss she has mixed feelings. When I met her I had kind of a botched lap band thing going on and had pretty terrible pain constantly. I was about 316 lbs so when the Dr. finally presented me with my options, conversion to a sleeve seemed to be the best for me. The surgery was a bit longer than anticipated (band erosion) but the post op pain was truly minimal. Actually, less that I was living with before. My wife was OK with my weight loss at first but then started complaining that I don't eat enough, etc. I've now lost about 130 lbs, size 16 and she asks me not to loose any more weight. She seems to think that a smaller me is no longer going to be interested in her. I've seen this dynamic in the relationships of other friends who have had WLS. I've also seen them get through it and out the other side successfully. At this time my wife is now considering WLS herself! LOL! I encourage you to do what you feel is right for you. My journey has not solved all of my life problems but I am happier and healthier that I have ever been in my life.
  3. Rdoactv
    Rdoactv
    I Dont Have A Partner. I Opted To Go Through This Journey Solo, It Was Something I Needed To Do. But I Thought Id WeiGh In On Your Other QuestiOns.
    Preop, My Biggest Challenge Was Saving And The Wait ( I Self Paid IN TJ And IT Took Me A Year).I Wanted To Enjoy Life And Like Myself Again. The Mental Prep Was Big Too. My Whole Relationship With Food Has Changed. I Eat Very Little, I Workout Daily. I'm 7Wks Out, 33# Down. 65# To Go.
    Pain Postop Was Minimal. No Big Deal To Me Really. A Bit Of Nausea, But Pain..Not Really.
    I Love Hiking 3 Miles Without Pain,Rest,Difficulty Breathing, Or My Bp Goin Thru The Roof. I Feel Great. I Have Energy To Burn. My Whole Lifestyle Has Changed. Im Happier Already, And Gaining Confidence. So Id Do It Again In A Heartbeat.
    My Words Of Wisdom: This Is Your Decision, And Something You will Decide To Do For Only You. ITs Your Health And Happiness. Be Prepared To Chang And Work. Its Not A Quick Fix. As For Your Wife, Hopefully She Will Support Whichever Decision U Make.This Surgery Can Bring Out Confidences And Insecurities. Be Sure You And She Address Those. Best Wishes With Your Decision And Your Partner.
    Forgive The Crazy Caps,Its A Setting On This Site I Cant Seem To Fix.
  4. bumblebee813
    bumblebee813
    thanks a bunch.
  5. MrsBushford
    MrsBushford
    My wife wasn't thrilled until she saw I was serious about changing my habits to healthier ones. Quitting caffeine was hardest pre-op. Pain post-op would have been ok, but I had a bad reaction to pain meds and some unrelated issues that surfaced, too - all better now! I would absolutely do it again. And my wife isn't complaining about literally being able to be closer, or that I can tolerate walking far better, or that she's losing a little weight herself.