Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My Sleeve Journey with Dr. Garcia

1. leahmj88
    leahmj88
    Ok, well I finally feel in good enough condition to write this. It is a tad long, I did not want to leave anything out. Ok, it has been 6 days since my surgery. I left on a Friday the 22nd. I traveled from Ohio to San Diego. The flights were good although the one flight from Atlanta to San Diego was 5 hours! Oh God, torture. Luckily I had someone sitting next to me to chat with. She asked me why I was going to San Diego. I wanted to tell her the truth, that I am going for a gastric sleeve, but then I though, hmm maybe not, so I just told her for spring break. I met random people like that throughout my trip and I never once told them the real reason I was going, probably because it’s none of their business. Anyways, So I land in San Diego and I call Rosie and let her know to send the driver to pick me up. She tells me that Samuel will be there to pick me up shortly. So I walk to baggage claim and sit outside. A white van pulls up moments later and a nice man named Samuel Sr. (he has a son) greets me. He gets all my things and says we are on the way to the hospital. I am a bit confused because I thought that my actual surgery would be the next day. I decide I will just go with the flow. So I get to the hospital, which is small compared to the hospitals in the states, and Melissa, Samuel Sr. daughter greets me there. She explains to me that they wanted to do all lab work and physical at this time so my surgery will go quicker the next day. So I meet Dr. Luna (handsome!) and Dr. Garfias. They do a physical and after that is over I am sent to the hotel. The hotel is beautiful, I had a king size bed, nice clean rooms, they even have a store where you can buy deodorant, soaps, chips, pop, things like that. It had a swimming pool, workout area. It is a very nice hotel. So I ordered my chicken broth and jello then lights out. Day 2 I checked out the hotel, I was taken to the hospital by the hotel shuttle service and that is where I was admitted and given a room. They had a safe in my room to put my valuable things and what did not fit in the safe, for instance my laptop, jazmin held in her office. I was all ready for surgery, Dr. Garcia and Dr. Luna met with me before to discuss the procedure. Dr. Garcia is a very nice man, willing to answer all questions; he even asked me if I wanted him to call my mother to tell her I was alright after surgery. I knew that would make her feel better. So afterwards they wheeled me to the operation room, I met the anesthesiologist, and it was lights out after that. When I woke up I was in a lot of pain and discomfort. I kept removing my oxygen mask because I felt it was making it harder for me to breathe. I felt very sick and promptly threw up. The nurses all gave me pain meds and meds for nausea but it did not seem to help. I was miserable, not to mention that at a banquet hall next door they played VERY loud music all night long so I did not get any sleep. Day 3, still in a lot of pain but feeling loads better, I started walking around to get the gas out. I could not drink anything yet so I was very thirsty. I was still throwing up but not as bad as the day before. My nurse Stephanie who was my favorite kept checking on me, giving me meds for nausea. She is so happy and bubbly, always smiling and laughing, it just made me feel better. All the nurses were really nice, some of them look like they just came from the runway, with heels and all! I just laid in the bed for the most of the day, walking around occasionally. Day 4, It was time for them to remove my drain which was not really painful, just very uncomfortable. I was now able to drink things like water and Gatorade. I met with Dr. Garcia again before I left. I just want to let you know that Dr. Garcia is a very nice and happy man, I never seen him without a smile and he was joking and laughing with all the patients. He is great! Anyways, I was sent back to the hotel where I slept, watched movies and walked around a bit. I did order some more broth, popsicles, jello, and water. Dr. Luna came by to remove my staples and tell me how to take care of the incisions. Day 5, time to go home. I called Sam Jr. to pick me up and we left for the hotel. The traffic crossing the border is VERY busy. We left at 6am, didn’t actually make it to the airport until 8am. That is how backed up the traffic was. All while you’re waiting people come up to the car asking if you want to buy things or get your windows washed. They even had food vendors. If I could eat I would of def ordered some Mexican food! So I made it to the airport on time and flew back home. For the most part I feel good. I do feel weak because I think my body is adjusting to the smaller portions of food. It almost feel like a being a baby again, in the sense that you have to watch what and how much you eat. For example, Babies’ stomachs are very sensitive and you would not feed a very small baby chicken, pizza and pop, its mostly soft things. If I drink or eat too much I will throw up. Not really feeling any pain or hunger I am just taking it easy, trying to get my strength up because I have to return to work Monday….blargh. Haha, overall good experience and I’ve already lost some weight! So excited. Well that’s my journey.
  2. bergamini
    bergamini
    Great post! I took that identical journey on 11/30. Love all of them! Heal well and look forward to the journey coming up now.
  3. Portugueselove
    Portugueselove
    Good luck with your weightloss journey.
  4. dshyre1047
    dshyre1047
    Thank you so much for the details. I have that exact journey on April 6th with my surgery on the 8th. We fly into San Diego from Atlanta on the 6th. We will go to Mexico on Sunday and surgery on Monday. You have made me feel so much better. Best of luck on the rest of your journey.
  5. flowergirl
    flowergirl
    So sorry you were so sick, but you will feel better and better real soon. I know what you mean about the loud music. My daughter had her surgery on Friday, the 15th, and the place next door had a kids party going on with very loud music. Fortunately they quit about 10pm. Not a good thing to have next to a hospital. I was there about 17 months ago and did not remember any loud music but then I was there during the week so I guess no parties then. Take care of yourself and remember to chew, chew, chew and small portions. Didn't you just love Dr. Luna? I wanted to pack him in my bag and bring him back with us....and I'm 60 years old. And Dr. Garcia is a real sweety, too. Take care. Lisa