Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Don't Let That Pendulum Swing Too Far To The Right

1. bestnester
    bestnester
    My surgeon isn't the most friendly, but he said something that has really stuck with me the past few days. He asked how many times I weighed myself, I told him every day. He asked if I am documenting what I eat, I said yes.

He told me that from here on out I cannot let that pendulum swing too far to the right. I can't become obsessed. I cannot weigh myself every day. I cannot write everything I eat out at this stage because that is pointless. He said that some people after the surgery get so obsessed they almost take it too far and lean toward an eating disorder. I can totally see how this is possible. I can see myself doubting eating, which isn't okay because I need that to survive. I think we fear that never ending fat person persona and it's return, instead of really embracing this change.

Mentally, this is the toughest choice. I am a pro active person, and going this slow is rough. Last night I had my first pity me party. My family went to dinner and I wasn't feeling good enough to go, nor did I want to sit there sipping broth. I cried myself to sleep on the couch, but when I woke up I felt so much better. I actually let myself grieve. I let myself feel sad. This surgery was paid for not by insurance, but by me, and at times I feel like I can't complain because I paid for this and I CHOSE everything that comes with this process. Last night I let myself do that, and it was the best thing. I woke up more confident in my choices, more confident in this process.

I am not saying just let yourself go, never care, but I am saying lets remember not to take it too far. Don't come on here panicked every week when you didn't lose what you thought you should lose. Just remember it is a process. I love looking at profiles of people who are like 6 months to a year out. They keep saying things like wow time flew by, and I am so glad I did this. I find strength from them.
  2. Mimibren
    Mimibren
    Thanks for the insight! I to weigh everyday & no is is not healthy. Pray I can put that darn scale away until weigh in day! I don't wa t to do the weigh in daily but it encourages me when I see it go down ( even if just a little) I need to just have the faith & confidence that this will work & that it is a journey- good & bad. Love that it is that journey that we learn, & grow in.
  3. Lissy
    Lissy
    I totally see how this could turn into a eating disorder. I weigh myself before bed and in the morning. I'm keeping track of everything I eat. I cried this morning when I didn't lose anything from yesterday to today and yesterday I got out and took my kid swimming for two hour plus I only ate like 300 cl at most. How did I not lose weight? I'm sure it will show the next few days but I've never been so obsessed with my weight!
  4. madalto
    madalto
    Thank you so much for posting this. I've been worried that I'll get too obsessed but this really put things into perspective for me. I'm also paying for the surgery out of my pocket so I know that I am choosing this and that with this I'm opening up so many new avenues in my life. Good luck with everything!
  5. Debi Lee
    Debi Lee
    Thank you Bestnester for posting this. Sounds like your doc is a wise man. I have also found myself obsessed with everything I eat and weighing every morning, but I must stop. I will keep a diary of my food on MFP but that's so I can make sure I'm eating enough protein. It also enlightens me if I feel bad at a later time - I can look back and see what I may have eaten to possibly have made that happen.
    My surg was 2/13 and so far I've lost 12 pounds. It's much more than I expected but I will stop obsessing over it.
  6. Savagels650
    Savagels650
    Lissy, That does not seem possible! Are you often consuming so few calories for a day? Your body cannot function well on such a fare. It may be going into survival/starvation mode. Even with the sleeve, you need healthy fats and food vitamins for basic function, and don't forget to rack up good forms of protein. Just on the outside lookin' in here, but hope this maight help you or someone else. ttyl, sheryl
  7. Lissy
    Lissy
    I'm good. I was dehydrated and mal nurished during my pregnancy I know how to deal with it. I am testing my urine often to make sure there is no keystones which would indicate dehydration and malnutrition. The keytones say that muscle is being broken down and it's dangerous. I'm drinking as much water as possible and eating at least five times a day plus I'm taking vitamins, iron and b12. I know what I'm doing and my doctor is helping me along the way. I found I was consuming more calories when I was on liquids because I could get more down. I have been on soft food for a few days and gotten really active in the same time so my body just needs to catch up. I've added some liquids back in to get more protein and calories. I guess my body just isn't 100% ready for full soft food but its nice to be able to eat now if I want to. Thanks for your concern.
  8. gudgrlal
    gudgrlal
    One of the best posts that I've read, bestnester! It is so true. I skipped weighing today and I think I want to go to a once a week weigh-in, if not once every two weeks. Very inspirational post. I'm on the other end of the scale, though. I never track anything and I know I should. I've got to get a little more strict about my habits than I am currently. I know I'm not overdoing it because I can only eat a VERY small amount at a time, but I've got to get better about monitoring myself. Thanks again for such a great post.
  9. megs
    megs
    I have become completely obsessed with the scale. I am still on clear liquids and the 1st week I lost 17lbs, this week nothing. I have no idea what to do I have done everything the dr has said. I had to put my scale in my closet yesterday because I will weigh myself 10x a day if I am given the chance.
  10. bestnester
    bestnester
    megs, I think that is the reason I am not weighing more than once a week. I think the stress of weighing and not seeing a result can reverse the positive week I just had. 17 pounds in 1 week is pretty dang incredible. To me, a big week would be followed by a smaller week while your body adjusts and recovers. Try on an outfit that you know was a little snug prior to surgery. Today I threw on a top that usually shows my tummy, but today it hung down not touching my stomach. To me, that is enough to even avoid checking the scale this week. I think we get so paranoid that this surgery wont work or that we are doing something wrong, but that really isn't the case. I think if we spend less time staring at the numbers and more time focusing on how we are feeling we would be much more happy.