Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Problem with passport!!! Need to freak out just a little.

1. ahilton
    ahilton
    I knew things were going just a little too well. Finally decided to do this, paid deposit, have date set, have flight booked, have verified everything three times, and scheduled for surgery on 12/10 in Mexico. Only one problem. I had to spend $65 for expedited, long birth certificate. Finally received it via UPS today. From everything I am reading, I am screwed when it comes to getting a passport or a passport card. It is my understanding that as of tomorrow morning, I will be 13 days away from surgery and there is no possible way to get a passport in that amount of time!!!

Kinda freaking out here a little bit. Have everything planned for 12/10 date and have nonrefundable airline tickets, can't change date. What on earth am I going to do?

Any tips, suggestions, or tranquilizers are welcome at this point!!!
  2. jewelspuma
    jewelspuma
    You can pay extra to have it expedited to you. Look on line at usps.com. It may cost you but you should get it if you go right in tomorrow. You can also get it sooner if they have an actual office in your town.
  3. johnmisty
    johnmisty
    I agree I received mine in less than 2 wk when I had mine expedited.
  4. ahilton
    ahilton
    I don't have passport office, just my regular post office, and from what I have read, I will have to take in all of my medical info to even justify trying to get it and they still will not guarantee that I will receive it. The mere thought of trying to reschedule is making me physically sick right now. I will lose all of my money for airline ticket and just literally scared to death right now.
    Thank you for help though. Will call post office 1st thing in morning and see what I can do.
  5. Kmack
    Kmack
    You can get a special drivers license that allows you to cross the boarder via vehicle here it is called an enhanced license
  6. Bq791
    Bq791
    When we did our passports we went to the regular post office had it sent next day then when it was signed for called the passport office and talked to a nice lady and told her the deal and he got his in 5 days. What state are you in if you are in the states even if it's not a passport office in your city you may have to drive a bit for same day service on certain days.
  7. Kmack
    Kmack
    Your airline should give you some credit for you flight. You would need to pay a change fee and the cost differential
  8. hope4me
    hope4me
    Or you can go on over. I've been reading on this site where this came up as a question. Many have went over there with drivers lic. and birthcertificate and had no problem. I was struggle with should I or should I not get one. But had a lot of time and decided to get it. if you can't get it by the time you need it this maybe an option. I really hope you can get this resolved. You have come this far. Let us know how things are going.
  9. DizExhaled
    DizExhaled
    Sorry to hear about your troubles! How did you make out today?
  10. hope4me
    hope4me
    I really hope thing are going well. This is so close to the day.
  11. ahilton
    ahilton
    I ended up making an appointment with the passport regional office in San Diego. Best case scenario, I take all of my documentation, pay $200, and get a passport that day, still have my surgery. Worst case scenario, I don't get my passport and take my chances. Talked with surgical consultant and he says that your home country can't deny you readmission, and they use a "special medical lane" to re-enter the country. Find all of this very interesting..... But hoping for the passport in hand before crossing the border.

Thanks to all for the help!!!
  12. hope4me
    hope4me
    OK sound like we are back in business( a little humor there my friend) Seriouly I'm happy to hear that you have a plan, I would not have wanted you to have come this close to the door and couldn't go in. So I will be counting the days down with you.
  13. Charity
    Charity
    Do you know...when I went to TJ last November, they didn't even LOOK at my Passport! In the medical lane, they just basically waive you through. Not that this is the case with everyone - but with me it was.
  14. ahilton
    ahilton
    Charity, That's what everyone else is saying also. Still wonder if I should be safe, rather than sorry??? Hope4me, Yep, ready to go. Hope we can meet up at some time since we are going to be right down the street from one another. Getting just a little nervous. Kinda dreading flight now. Haven't flown in years, since birth of kids, 14 years ago.
  15. AngelNP
    AngelNP
    My theory it's always best to be prepared because then you most likely won't need it, but that is what will keep you less stressed.
  16. DizExhaled
    DizExhaled
    Ditto to what angel said. Please let us know what ends up happening.