Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

laperkins

8 Days Post Op

Rate this Entry
I am now 8 Days Post Op and down 18 lbs. since pre-op diet. I wanted to write a little about my surgery experience. I am an ex bandster and going into this surgery thinking after I had the band this surgery would be a walk in the park. I am here to definitely tell you that it was not that for me. After the surgery, I was so sick from the anesthesia. Then I had the nurse from hell or she didn't know what she was doing. I am here to tell if the stuff they are putting in your IV is not suppose hurt. It might sting or burn but never have horrible pain. After a whole night of torture. The morning nurse was a savior and changed my IV to my other arm and I started getting the medication to make me feel better. Vomiting is not fun especially when you have nothing coming back up. I was walking/sipping/sleeping as much as I could. After 3 days in the hospital (two days longer than I thought I would have too). I am finally home. I am still sipping and walking but now I am driving and working as well. I get my staples out today, I am so looking forward to that happening in about an hour.

I also want to say that your mind plays with you on the food. It is not that I am hungry, but smelling and seeing other eat makes you want to eat. The first two days I was home from the hospital. I watched cooking shows, it was the weirdest thing. I don't crave food but my mind makes me think I want it.

I don't know if this will help anyone on their journey, but I wanted to let everyone know about mine. Good Luck and after what I went through I would still do it again.

Submit "8 Days Post Op" to Digg Submit "8 Days Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "8 Days Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "8 Days Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks for the news! I am having my surg with Dr Kim in 14 days...hope I don't get the same night tie nurse! Glad you are feeling better!
    It's so funny about the cooking shows because I was that way and some other people on this site and in my WLS support group also did the same thing! Must be a common "side-effect" after surgery..
    I didn't watch cooking shows but I dream about food all the time. I had a dream about french fries and actually tasted them in my dreams. I have had other food dreams 2 - 3 times a week. The french fry was the only thing I tasted though. It was really good. :-)
    I read cookbooks like a magizine, and watch cooking shows all the time. I think it's my saving grace. My husband asked me the other day didn't it make me hungry and I told him not really, it just satisfy's something in me since I can't eat food.
    Blaw - I had a dream about eating a hotdog the other night. Then I woke up thinking I had messed up my sleeve and how I was going to digest it.
    Shug - don't worry about that nurse. Dr. Kim is awesome as well as the hospital staff. They told me the next day that she would not be back that she was an agency nurse. But Nurse Kim and Deb are the best. Tech Letcia and Maggie. I don't know what I would have done without there help.
    We had surgery the same day! Our experiences are similar... Had the lapband for 6 months before erosion problems ended up with 3 surgeries total with the lapband... Port flipped for the 2nd surgery. Just had the sleeve surgery 2 yrs after lapband ordeal. Had a nurse from the "night nurse hell shift". Throwing up for 2 days after sleeve surgery. The "NNHS" told me when I called her to get up by myself in the night, sick, and told me how to unplug things and walk myself to the bathroom!!! And this happened not just once to me... But several times AND she actually would not answer the call to her desk and would not come in!!! Needless to say, I just started asking for the male nurse who could give me meds just to avoid her... I don't think she works there any longer after my Dr. found out and my husband reported her to higher ups. She WAS that unbelievably bad!

10 days out from surgery now and I feel pretty good... Except NOT being able to eat like I used too. :-( I'm still on a soft diet. I see the Dr. Monday and I'm hoping to be able to eat something that resembles real food & flavor soon! Even if it is just for 2 or 3 bites!
    I had the lap-band for four years and loss very little weight. I started to have complications about a year ago and it was removed March 2011. I wasn't ready for another surgery at the time so I did not get sleeved when they removed the band. I've put on 20 pounds and I'm now ready to be sleeved. I'm going to be self pay; I'm considering Dr. Almanza in Mexico.

The more time I spend on this site, the more and more I learn of people who have been or are now going to be sleeved.