Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Gayle

What a difference a year makes! New year -- new me!

Rate this Entry
Well, new year -- new me. Who would have thought a year ago that I would be sitting here at the computer weighing 140? Not me, that's for sure. A year ago I was lost, looking and feeling ill. Diabetes running and ruining my life. Apnea getting worse. Colds turning into months long complications and infections. A death spiral accelerating. I did nothing. I sat. I didn't even take the stairs because of the pain in my knees. The kids at school started treating me like a handicapped person -- offering to help me with my bags of books, asking if I needed help, offering to help me down the stairs when I ventured there. My daughter was scared. She was pretty sure she would lose her mama sooner rather than later. I thought so too.
In March my endocrinologist said that I really needed to look into bariatric surgery. He could see no positive trend or way out of my diabetes dilemma. I started to seriously consider it then. Problem was that my insurance completely stopped covering bariatric surgery as of the first of 2012. I was on my own financially. I am a single mom school teacher. My daughter is in college. Go figure that one.
Then I heard that a secretary at school had a surgery called the gastric sleeve. I asked her about it. Got her surgeon's name and number. Made an appointment and went to see him. Liked him and his honesty. The idea grew. I researched. I saw a solution to my problem.
Then I got VERY sick with a lung infection. Steroids boosted my blood glucose levels to the 500's+. I sat in the emergency room all one night. I was not seen and left. Endo put me on 2 types on insulin and upped my injectable non-insulin medicine to 1.5 max dose, Those meds plus 3 types of oral diabetes medicines at max dose. It was not looking good for Gayle.
Attacked the infection. Got better.
Had surgery June 13th.
Now, for the rest of the story....
January 1, 2013:
I am 57 years old.
I weigh 140.6 -- down from the all time high of 238.
Everyone calls me "tiny." I don't see it -- I am still adjusting to that.
I am off all my diabetes medicine except for 1/4 of one simple medicine per day for now. Expect to come off that in the next 6 months. A1C 6.4.
I wear a size 8 - 10 pants; size medium top (sometimes a size small)
I am active. I still sit (doing that now talking to you ) But I also swim like a mad lady. 1 - 1.25 miles per day, 5 - 6 days/weeks. Why? I like it! It feels good! I like to move my body now. (Still hate to sweat though)
I am cold all the time. I need layers and fleece.
I feel good.
I struggle with food still. I can eat a whole lot more than any other sleeve I know or have heard of. My surgeon admitted he made the sleeve bigger because of my lower BMI at the time of surgery. (Thanks a heap!) But the truth is that the sleeve does not do this FOR you. YOU do this for you. You decide what and how much to eat after a couple months past surgery. Surgery just provides a good, swift kick in the ass to get you going. It sure did for me.
I will make it to goal soon. 135 here I come.
I have a lot to learn still. I will need to learn how to maintain this loss.
I am on my way. I am soooo much healthier. I can actually hope to be alive to see my grandchildren. <3
That is the difference a year makes. From total despair to health and hope.
I wish the same for you. Let's get there together.
God Bless and hugs!

Submit "What a difference a year makes!  New year  -- new me!" to Digg Submit "What a difference a year makes!  New year  -- new me!" to del.icio.us Submit "What a difference a year makes!  New year  -- new me!" to StumbleUpon Submit "What a difference a year makes!  New year  -- new me!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow. Thank you for sharing your experience. And being that I woke up feeling pretty depressed and unmotivated. Reading your story helped give me some hope for my future. I'm so happy that you are in a different place then you were a year ago. Sounds like you have a beautiful life ahead of you.
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing Gayle. So thrilled at how much better health you have as a result of your surgery. Amazing!
    awesome job!!!
    LOVE your post. We have a similar background, I am 58, due to be sleeved 1/11/13 however I came down with a severe respiratory thing yesterday. I'm sure it will delay surgery. In any case, I've been reading everything on this board with interest, I'm learning a lot, and looking forward to getting started on a healthier life. You are an inspiration.
    Gayle, thanks for sharing your story. I agree, the surgery is a swift kick. As my doctor and I discussed, it is a tool in the toolbox, but it takes lots of tools to build a success story, the surgery is just one. Good for you on the swimming, that is great exercise - and staying active will help you eat correctly - you will know when your intake is incorrectly balanced by flagging energy levels.
    Gayle...you are an inspiration for the rest of us. I pray your journey will continue to be Blessed! Thanks for the encouragement through sharing your story.
    Hi Gayle, your story is so inspiring to myself and I'm sure to so many here, especially those having such a difficult time with their health before surgery. I'm so glad you're nearing your goal on the scale and life has turned around in so many ways. This is an awesome tool and as we learn to work with it and our food addiction it's a daily adventure. Hey I see you were raised in Amherst, NY....I am from Buffalo...born and raised and lived there for 41 yrs before I moved to Las Vegas. Its cool to meet people here that were from W. New York.
    Have a great 2013 and let us know how things are going for ya and you reach goal...very soon.
    Thank you so much for an exciting , honest account of your journey!! Very inspirational!!

Excited for what 2013 has for you!!
    Congrats! What a wonderful story. I am so glad youre doing well. Keep up the great work!
    Beautiful story! Thank you
    Happy for you Gayle, what an insiration you are, I would love to get where you are too