Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MissouriJen

Diabetes type II...Anyone improve? How long?

Rate this Entry
Hi fellow sleevers!

I feel pretty great, not quite two weeks out. I am happy with my loss rate. I wish I could lift weights already, lol.

I have type II diabetes, diet controlled (was on pills) and my A1c before I left (for the last 18 months) was 5.7. I do occasionally (weekly) check my sugar level in the morning (fasting) and it would hover anywhere from 86-128. The part I am now frustrated about is that since the surgery, I am at 130-145 when I test!!

It was 130 in Mexico just after surgery. That I can understand, because the body responds to 'trauma' that way. But two weeks later?? Shouldn't it be down by now? Jeez, I can't even eat much.... Does anyone else here have a similar situation or feedback from experience? I am anxious to know if it will improve relatively soon or if I may have to take pills again to help.

Thanks!

Submit "Diabetes type II...Anyone improve?  How long?" to Digg Submit "Diabetes type II...Anyone improve?  How long?" to del.icio.us Submit "Diabetes type II...Anyone improve?  How long?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diabetes type II...Anyone improve?  How long?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Stress raises blood sugar, so I would monitor it quite closley for a while. Higher BS can also be an early symptom of infection. Make sure you are getting loys of fluids, but watch out for sugar content. I imagine everything will settle out when you diet is more normal. Take care!!
    The bodies natural response to a sudden drop in calorie intake can be that the blood sugars raise in our bodies. I suggest following a diabetic diet and eat every 3 hours so your body regulates its glucose levels. Good luck
    My blood sugars were excellent straight away following surgery and I came off my Type II diabetes meds on day 5 post sleeve. My doctor told me to check 2x daily and gave me instructions about when to take metformin again if I hit certain levels - so far, 7 weeks later, I have never needed to take one! I'm sorry yours are proving a bit more problematic, and as said above, that could be for a variety of reasons. I hope you see an improvement soon!
    In three months your blood sugar will be normal and so will your HBA1C. My BS's pre surgery were 140-150 and my HBA1C was 5.9. A year later BS is between 70-80 and my HBA1C is below 5. Blood pressure pre surgery was 135/90 and now it's 101/60.

I have excellent labs if I do say so myself
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmomabear
    Stress raises blood sugar, so I would monitor it quite closley for a while. Higher BS can also be an early symptom of infection. Make sure you are getting loys of fluids, but watch out for sugar content. I imagine everything will settle out when you diet is more normal. Take care!!
    Thanks...I didn't think about the possible infection factor. I am low on the liquids. I mainly drink water, (sometimes hot tea w/ Splenda), but I know I'm not getting enough in.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobbsygirl
    The bodies natural response to a sudden drop in calorie intake can be that the blood sugars raise in our bodies. I suggest following a diabetic diet and eat every 3 hours so your body regulates its glucose levels. Good luck
    Thank you, I will try that also. I didn't know that the body responds like that to calorie deficits. I hope it levels out soon. I hate that it went up, instead of down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly
    My blood sugars were excellent straight away following surgery and I came off my Type II diabetes meds on day 5 post sleeve. My doctor told me to check 2x daily and gave me instructions about when to take metformin again if I hit certain levels - so far, 7 weeks later, I have never needed to take one! I'm sorry yours are proving a bit more problematic, and as said above, that could be for a variety of reasons. I hope you see an improvement soon!
    Well, I'm glad yours went well so soon! I hope mine do too...soon. We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNurse
    In three months your blood sugar will be normal and so will your HBA1C. My BS's pre surgery were 140-150 and my HBA1C was 5.9. A year later BS is between 70-80 and my HBA1C is below 5. Blood pressure pre surgery was 135/90 and now it's 101/60.

I have excellent labs if I do say so myself
    Wow! That is phenomenal! I am hoping for such. I did blood work and labs the week before I had surgery, so I had something to compare with in a few weeks. I will test again at 8 weeks post-surgery and then again at 4 months. I'll do it again at 6 months and 1 year, just for good measure. I do want to keep track of them to see what and how things improved.

I love your labs! I also had my cholesterol tested too... not too great. I'll share those when I get the paper out tomorrow.
    Within 6 weeks I had labs done and was taken off all diabetes and heart meds. Have not looked back almost 5 months out my labs are great, BP is down and no more diabetes.