Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

gemini*eyes

Question Is it true there is no dumping?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Anissa Christine View Post
According to my nurse is it 100% medically impossible to have dumping with the sleeve.

well I guess your nurse knows more than all of our surgeons who say its possible.. I was told dumping was undigested food that hit the intestines.. ?

Submit "Question Is it true there is no dumping?" to Digg Submit "Question Is it true there is no dumping?" to del.icio.us Submit "Question Is it true there is no dumping?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Question Is it true there is no dumping?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My doctor said it's possible but less likely with the sleeve. I actually have the opposite of dumping. Miralax has become my best friend.
    My doctor also said while it might happen, it is unlikely and doesn't happen often- he said it is rare. He also said some sleevers might think they are "dumping" from time to time when having a bit of bad indigestion.
    The VGS surgery is less likely to develop "dumping syndrome", also known as "rapid gastric emptying", due to still having the pyloric valve remaining at the lower end of the stomach; however there is still a significant chance that some painful dumping may occur. Dumping syndrome occurs when too much food is eaten too quickly and it moves through the stomach at a rapid pace, "dumping” undigested food into the intestine which causes symptoms of nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea. Hope that helps.
    "Dumping" has happened twice to me but it was early on. 1st time I used the wrong ground beef and it was really fatty. Nausea, cramping, and then a visit to the bathroom just a short while after eating that. The second time I went "off plan" I had some apple cobbler because it was my birthday...I had maybe a little under a tablespoon and then got the familiar stomach cramp and nausea. Now that i'm two months out I havent had a problem with sugar or too fatty foods although I do stay away from them just because I know these foods aren't good for me and will stall my weight loss.
    I haven't had any thank goodness, but I really try to listen to my stomach when I'm eating. Even when I eat sweets, I haven't had any dumping - kind of wish I did... lol
    I appreciate you using my comment. It's what I was told by my nurse. According to her dumping (as the term as used in bypass surgeries) is not possible because our surgery does not "bypass" any of our organs. So as far as the term goes it originated with the bypass and therefore what they experience as far as "dumping" we do not.

Hope that clarifies the issue for you. It's what I was told. So I am only repeating not making assumptions.
    Updated 11-03-2012 at 09:34 AM by Anissa Christine
    Quote Originally Posted by Anissa Christine
    I appreciate you using my comment. It's what I was told by my nurse. According to her dumping (as the term as used in bypass surgeries) is not possible because our surgery does not "bypass" any of our organs. So as far as the term goes it originated with the bypass and therefore what they experience as far as "dumping" we do not.

Hope that clarifies the issue for you. It's what I was told. So I am only repeating not making assumptions.
    The nurse in my dr. Office told me the same thing when I was there on Wednesday.