Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

4linton

This Idiot wants your feedback!

Rate this Entry
After being called an idiot trying to be impressive I defended my stance with facts. Apparently facts are not always appreciated on this site and the ridicule began, remember I was called an idiot so the stone was thrown. My replying was probably my mistake and I apologize for doing so. After a number of weeks now I still recieve veiled comments with a "LOL" attacthed as to have a chuckle at my expense. I am considering leaving the sight if it is what the members would like. I would like to say that I was under the impresssion that opinions of our experiences were welcome here even if they differed from popular beliefs. I even have had people I thought I respected make sniping comments to further their curry with some that may disagree. If reading only what you want to see on this site is your goal, then it would seem as if you may be in the right spot. If getting all sides of the story is what you would like then please say so. I will refrain from any other posts until your responses have been recieved. Thin skin ? probably, but I don't need an inbox filled with comments about my personal life.

Submit "This Idiot wants your feedback!" to Digg Submit "This Idiot wants your feedback!" to del.icio.us Submit "This Idiot wants your feedback!" to StumbleUpon Submit "This Idiot wants your feedback!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Clinton, I don't think your an idiot, I think you post some interesting information and I can appreciate you sense of humor. This is an open forum and everyone has the right to post what they are feeling. AND they do!

I am sorry that this has happened to you and everyone needs to realise that you are expressing your views and opinions just as they have the right to do.

We should support each other because we are all going through the same things with the surgery and weight loss.

Would love for you to stay, but I haven't seen the emails and such that you received. Best wishes whatever you decide, and good luck on your journey!!
    tempred, I agree with you, did I miss something here, I like reading your posts 4linton, maybe people were having a bad day. Keep posting!
    I, too, like reading your posts. I don't so much as comment on anything anymore because I am in lurk mode but because you are putting forth the idea that you may leave, I wanted to come out of the shadows and let you know I'd like you to stay. I enjoy the posts you provide here and I find them quite interesting.

I am not sure what little e-skirmish you are referring to, though. It is probably none of my business either. :P

Anyways, back into lurk mode I go.
    Everyone has a right to post as long as they follow the guidelines clearly stated when you join.
    I wouldn't listen to anyone online that used the word idiot to describe me, especially if it was some random person i'd never met in RL and i certainly wouldn't stop posting on a site i used because of it. You can't let random trolls off the internet ruin a site for you. If they're sending you memos that are not very nice you should forward them onto the admin of the site and let them deal with them. So long as you're not being nasty in return or in general then you'll be ok.

Ignore the plebs and enjoy the site.
    Exactly, I think there has to be mutual respect with both parties and this thread should be ended so that no one is hurt or says someting they don't mean. No one needs ot take sides we are all adults right? MOVE ON and we all need to learn to overlook people when they make not so nice comments.. IGNORE is the best policy unless they are harassing you and if so forward it to he Admin. that is their job.
    You know what they say..... Opinions are like a$$h#%e$, EVERYBODY has them! LOL As long as you're not being nasty or attacking anyone, you have every right to post as you see fit. If people don't like it or agree, they have the freedom to move on to someone else's post who they do agree with (comment free I might add). It is wrong for people to call you names and have a laugh at your expense! As I am sure we have all dealt with more then enough of that for being overweight over the years. This is suppose to be a safe place for us, where we can express our thoughts, feelings and experiences. Some people are naive and narrow-minded if they think that everyone's experience and feelings should be the same as theirs. I feel like this website has been MY support group! I get to both give and receive encouragement, support and advice. I think it would be doing both you and this online community a dis-service if you left. There is no need to let an ignorant few chase you away from the place you can turn to for the support you may need. I hope you stay!!!!
    Clinton, not sure what has been going on??? Don't leave, I really like your input. I went through a similar situation way back, Have learned to stay out of the verbal exchange if someone is rude to me, or wants to carry on for their own needs.
    Don't let the cyber bullies get to you! You have the right to your opinion just like they have the right to express theirs, although they should be mindful of their choice of words. You are an asset to this community and I think that you shouldn't let people who can't express their feelings without calling names to dictate whether you continue to post here. This sight is meant for all of us to share our views and our journey together.
    "Give them something to talk about", just like the song says! It makes the site more interesting sometimes when there is a "war of the words" going on. If somebody doesn't appreciate your comments, they can go read some other person's. I agree with everyone, keep posting. I enjoy your words and information sharing and to me, that's all that matters.. Keep on posting, Clinton, as there is never enough information to share to help us get through this journey. Continued success!
    Opps, you know what they say about spelling your name correctly when in print,4linton. I apologize.
    First of all I want to start off by stating I do not know you. So I am going to talk from a "general" point of view.

Whomever came up with the saying "stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"...must not have had a conscious. The fact is words can hurt us and in fact they can sabotage us if we don't deal with them in a constructive way. We as humans have built in defensive mechanisms to deal with things or people that attack our "ego". Some defense mechanisms allow us to take in the hurt and manifest it into a positive..other mechanisms take in the hurt and exacerbate it into destructive, "self-mutilating" behaviors.

So with all that being said the fact that you're labeling yourself an "idiot" (joking or not it's not healthy for your "ego") indicates that you're defending yourself in a way that is going to hinder you not help you. When we give people the power over our ego we are essentially giving them the power to control us.

You seem like a great guy, with a great perspective. You need to focus on your goal and not get lost in the negative. As I stated earlier "names do hurt". However I ask you to take a step back for a minute and ask yourself "is this person relevant to my end goal"? My guess is no..so let it go...and when you do you will gain back the power and be able to channel it into relevant goals.

We are only given one life to live. And for many of us that life begins the day we have this procedure done. This is just my two cents. You can take it or leave it. But I assure you my answer is well thought out and I do have an "educational" background when it comes to psychological processes.

Take care and I hope to see you around the water cooler
    I am fairly new to the site but I went back and read some of your blogs. I find them to be informitive and insightful. Keep writing and sharing with everyone!
    I believe I read the post you are talking about. It is obvious that you are very intelligent and I respect what you had to say. The other party to the discussion also had a valid arguement. Just because you differed on how you see things and it got a little 'heated' is no reason to leave this site. Actually, you both made very good points. And neither of you was totally right or wrong (just my opinion). Because I have not had my sleeve yet I totally understand all the 'what ifs' that you worry about and how you will receive aftercare if you need it. And more importantly, how you will pay for it. My surgery is in a couple of weeks and the closer it gets, the more stressed I am. Not about the surgery itself, but about what can go wrong afterward. I am having it in Mexico because it's not covered by my insurance. But, I digress. You are a member of this community and not everybody is going to agree with everything you or anyone else has to say. I personally benefited from that exchange because you were both talking about the issue that is the biggest concern for me, and it really prompted me to address the issue head, on instead of trying to ignore it and hope it didn't happen to me. So, that said, it should not have gotten to the point of name calling and such, but today is a new opportunity and lets take advantage of it to do some good!
    As everyone has said, we enjoy your input and love reading your journey. So you not allowed to leave
    I got a bit disgruntled myself a little while ago, let perfect strangers comments get to me. Felt I was telling my story that I didn't need to be told off. so I just gave myself a break.
    Always remember for every one person out there in internet land that annoys or hurts you, there is at least 100 that like, support and enjoy sharing your journey.
    I do not know of the situation you are speaking of. I have been on this site since March and have learned to be selective about what I choose to read. I do not read postings with a negative tone. I am aware of POTENTIAL complications and challenges, and an thus making an informed decision in having this surgery next week. My head is not in the sand, However, I truly believe that we need to focus our energies in a positive direction and ignore, not attend, to negative energy. I have always enjoyed your postings. Tyr to just "let it go" of the negativity and focus on the positive. If you do not give it energy, the negativity will fade away. Look at all this positive energy coming your way. Absorb it all and move forward with your wonderful adventure!!!!!!
    Don, I think you enrich the experience here and it would be much less wonderful if you left. Stick around. I enjoy following your success!
    I haven't been on this site long but from what you have written you seem like a great guy. Keep writing and don't let the rest of us be deprived of your sense of humor and following your success.