Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ShrinkingViolet

Just Because You CAN Doesn't Mean You SHOULD

Rate this Entry
I have been meaning to do a blog post about carbs for a while now and I have recently seen a few (more) posts along the lines of "Should I be able to eat this much/this item/etc.?"

Whether you are newly post-op or healed and down the road, listen...

Just because you CAN eat something or a lot of something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. First off, when you are newly post-op, you run the risk not only of stretching out your lovely, tight new sleeve that you just spent tons of money and effort to get, but you also run the risk of popping open your sutures, which is VERY VERY VERY BAD.

If you are all healed up, you shouldn't have to worry about the latter, but you still are taking a big chance of stretching your (new, small) stomach back out as well as re-developing poor eating habits. 99% of us are NOT GOING TO GET A SECOND CHANCE AT THIS. Don't waste this opportunity.

I personally did not start eating carbs (breads, crackers, etc.) AT ALL until I was almost 5 months out. I kind of wish I had never tried them again, because once I knew I could tolerate them, I found myself drawn to them again... more... and my weight loss slowed. The only thing that undid my stall was to cut them all back out, to really keep an eye on my portion sizes, and to KEEP THAT SLEEVE TIGHT, as my sleeve-buddy always tells me.

Please, it isn't worth it. As they say, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Don't waste this golden opportunity. If you are having trouble with overeating, food choices, etc., after being sleeved, it's time to stop blaming your physical hunger and seek the help of a friend, counselor, nutritionist, etc. about why you are REALLY eating what and as much as you are.

This unsolicited advice has been brought to you by Been There, Done That.

Submit "Just Because You CAN Doesn't Mean You SHOULD" to Digg Submit "Just Because You CAN Doesn't Mean You SHOULD" to del.icio.us Submit "Just Because You CAN Doesn't Mean You SHOULD" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just Because You CAN Doesn't Mean You SHOULD" to Google

Comments

I meant to add - this doesn't apply just to carbs, but to all poor food choices, whether it is something that fills you up w/o protein, w/o vitamins and minerals, whether it is unnecessarily high-fat or highly processed. PLEASE BE KIND TO YOUR BODY, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT IT TO BE KIND TO YOU!
    Thank u for ur advice. Maybe u can shed some light some my issue. Ive been stalled at 221 to 223 for 2 1/2 weeks. How much carbs are we supossed to have a day. How much is to much. Today is my one month date and Im very discouraged. Ive increased my exercise and take in about 700-900 calories a day. Any advice will be appreciated.
    My surgeon/nutritionist (yours may be different) stressed the need to eat in order: protein > dairy > fruits/vegs > carbs (if there is any room left) to ensure that you get your protein and RDAs in. I followed that advice and there was no way I had any room for carbs up until around 5 months, which also was when I reached goal.

I think everyone is different and processes different foods differently and loses weight at different rates - there are so many variables that I couldn't possibly guess if there is an amount of carbs you are supposed to have. All I know is I followed the above advice and it works for me!

How long post-op are you? How much have you already lost? 700-900 calories seems low to me. I stopped counting calories (only protein) the day I got sleeved, but I have heard a lot of people say that they have broken a stall by INCREASING their calories/day.
    Great post!