Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

needing support and advice!

Rate this Entry
HI I hope I can get some advice and support. I have now finished reading all the information the dietitian has given to me, which we spoke about in the session yesterday. However having read all the information now and seeing in writing what and how I can eat, it is very daunting. I am not a milk lover and the thought of drinking milk based shakes etc is very worrying. I am also nervous about the mushy stage and then onto the solids. I am starting to panic that I wont be able to follow the diet. I am now having second thoughts about the procedure, although I know its the best thing for me. Does anyone have recipes for the liquid only stage and any advice on how to get through it.

Submit "needing support and advice!" to Digg Submit "needing support and advice!" to del.icio.us Submit "needing support and advice!" to StumbleUpon Submit "needing support and advice!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Premier Protein makes a line of drinks and smoothies; I start my liquids only this Friday, I really like Snapple diet ice tea/lemonade (it comes in powder form that can be added to a bottle of water) and granulated chicken or beef bouillon by Herb ox (I cannot drink the low sodium one). Hope this is helpful, best of luck Jessica
    Hi Elllie, Don't panic! In the liquid stage I didn't use milk at all because I don't drink it! You can mix your protein shakes with water or an alternative to milk. to be honest I didn't really do a mushy stage I just did food that was soft naturally like fish or eggs. I didn't feel very hungry and it was fine. You really won't want to eat much. I think it is daunting before surgery and then somehow after it just all works out because it has too. you will be okay! PROMISE XXX
    Ellie, I think panic is pretty normal. Especially as you get closer to surgery and you start realizing what you aren't going to be eating in the future, it is totally intimidating. At times like that, you just have to think back to why you want to weigh less -- more energy, ability to participate in different activities, etc. There are work arounds to many of these things.

What I did at your stage was sit down with Amazon and the GNC website and started looking at options that met the requirements of my dietician. There are different soups and non dairy shakes that are options, also clear protein drinks that might be better for you. Keep asking your dietician questions too, sometimes they don't think of things right away but if you're interested and doing research on the side, they join right in.

Best wishes, and hang in there. It's always survivable in the end!
    Hi Elllie,
    I just started the liquid diet Tuesday. So far so good and tomorrow is day three with no solids. For me I have been drinking the Premier Choc. shakes. I am to have 5 shakes a day. I like chocolate so this works for me. I am also drinking chicken broth. I bought the low sodium but do not like the taste so I went back to the regular chicken broth. I am allowed sugar free Popsicles and Sugar Free Jello, decaffeinated fluids, crystal light (pure), ans sports drinks without sugar. Ask the folks here on the forum for their ideas as well. You will also probably find that each physician's office has their own best practice of what they want their patients to take. There will be differences on what each of us were told to do so always best to check with your doc's office before adding anything that is not on their list. Best of luck to you.
    Thank you all for your valuable advice, recommendations and support. Reading what everyone has written has reassured me. Hopefully I wont have a major panic attack before surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by elllie
    Thank you all for your valuable advice, recommendations and support. Reading what everyone has written has reassured me. Hopefully I wont have a major panic attack before surgery.
    Sending all the good vibes! You'll be fine xx
    Hang in there, thoughts and prayers are with you. I didn’t particularly like the chocolate Premium Protein but the banana and cream; strawberry and cream; vanilla and my absolute favorite the caramel. They do have a line of non shake drinks as well. Starting liquids tomorrow, kept in touch and let us know how you are holding up �� Best, Jess
    It is way more simple than you can imagine. The early phases don't last too long. Before you know it, you will be eating whatever you want.
    It is easy, you are overthinking this. If you don't like the creamy shakes, there are plenty of non-creamy ones. I liked Isopure diluted with a lot of ice. And I never pureed anything, just ate soft foods like scrambled eggs, yogurt, or refried beans at that soft food stage. The idea of a meal in a blender disgusted me. You WILL follow the diet! It's no big deal. After 6 weeks you will be cleared for all foods. 6 weeks is a small price to pay for a lifetime of health and happiness!

My advice is to shop at GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe and buy ONE of whatever looks good to you. Then when you find out what you like, buy in bulk. If you're lucky what you like will be available at Walmart, Sams or Costco where it won't cost as much as those speciality stores. There is so much more out there than there was when I had my surgery in 2013, it's crazy. The whole world is starting to realize that protein is important!
    Agreeing with the wise advice already posted. I found I could do mashed potatoes (I used instant ones) and "Butter buds" or a bit of Greek plain yogurt with salt & pepper. I did not do puree, but I do like soup like split pea, or lentil, which when softly cooked are tasty and healthy.

But sraebaer is right - don't over think! It's way easier than I thought!