Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Frustrated at 9 Weeks (And for Good Reason)

Rate this Entry
Since my last posting (Week 8 Update: 11-20-2017), I have had severe nausea coupled with bouts of vomiting. At first I explained this away as a gastrointestinal bug I must have contracted somewhere in my travels, however, a week later I am beginning to wonder if there is something more to what is going on.

I have researched the side effects of VSG online - all of which state, among other things, that eating improperly can be the root cause. I have gone over what had consumed prior to this taking place and there is nothing in my diet that would be considered out of the realm of the VSG diet. So I took it a step further and looked into restrictions and reflux, however the symptoms do not match up with what I am experiencing.

I have tried several different edibles, none of which want to stay down. The ONLY thing that does not affect my stomach at this point is crackers. I know, I know...I shouldn't be eating them, however, they tend to absorb some of the stomach acids that are causing this issue. And considering the fact that I can't keep anything else down, at this juncture I don't feel I am doing myself a disservice. (Your thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated here.)

To say I am frustrated is an understatement. I have not had protein in a week, and if I am lucky, I can consume enough water to stay semi-hydrated. Even then, water can trigger bouts of vomiting, so I tend to sip lightly throughout the day.

I am considering calling my PCP, because when I discuss this with my surgeon, he feels that nausea and some vomiting is normal given the surgery I underwent. However, I feel it has surpassed the "normal" stage, and I am dealing with something altogether different in nature.

Submit "Frustrated at 9 Weeks (And for Good Reason)" to Digg Submit "Frustrated at 9 Weeks (And for Good Reason)" to del.icio.us Submit "Frustrated at 9 Weeks (And for Good Reason)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Frustrated at 9 Weeks (And for Good Reason)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes, I agree, call your doctor.
    This is taking too long.
    A couple of days can be expected, but not this long.
    Are you taking your anti-acid medication (pantoprazol)?
    Surgeons are surgeons. You need your PCP for this. A week of vomiting is too long. Take care of yourself!
    Thank you, DutchSleeve and DHB, for you thoughts and advice. For an update, I called both my PCP and the surgeon's office. They seem to think I am dehydrated, which, they said can lead to bouts of nausea and vomiting of this nature. They (my surgeon's office) is currently looking into the hydration department's schedule so I can move forward with this situation. His assistant said that should my condition worsen, to go directly to the ER and seek attention.
    My first thought is that it could be a stricture -- which is what they call a sleeve that gets twisted during recovery and just doesn't let much food go down through the tummy and into the intestine. Good news is that this can be repaired, but it has to be done surgically. Sounds to me like an endoscope test would be useful so you can rule this out -- or identify if there's anything structurally amiss at the moment.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing these symptoms. It sounds pretty yucky!
    So sorry you're having to deal with this Shannon, that sucks. Please keep us up to date with what happens and to be honest I would take yourself off to the ER and fast track this. I don't think you should sit on it, it's gone on too long already. Let us know how you go.
    Please keep us updated. Hope you feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    My first thought is that it could be a stricture -- which is what they call a sleeve that gets twisted during recovery and just doesn't let much food go down through the tummy and into the intestine. Good news is that this can be repaired, but it has to be done surgically. Sounds to me like an endoscope test would be useful so you can rule this out -- or identify if there's anything structurally amiss at the moment.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing these symptoms. It sounds pretty yucky!

Hi Ann2.

Thank you for the kind words and useful information. I too, thought this might be this issue, however they would like to rule out that it is simply dehydration, and then move forward if necessary from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    So sorry you're having to deal with this Shannon, that sucks. Please keep us up to date with what happens and to be honest I would take yourself off to the ER and fast track this. I don't think you should sit on it, it's gone on too long already. Let us know how you go.

Hello Stacey03.

I've been advised by the surgeon's office that should my condition worsen to go immediately to the ER. That said, I am keeping a close eye on things until my appointment tomorrow wherein I will receive hydration.
    Don’t worry about the crackers right now, when i’m sick and can’t eat i use saltine crackers and I’ve lost 143lbs since January. I’m so sorry your sick. You definitely need hydration after a week. Your pcp should call a prescription for phenergan suppositories.It works great to stop nausea and vomiting. Do you have a gallbladder? Are you having any belly pain? If your constipated it can cause this too. please let us know how you are. Hope you feel better soon.
    Hope you're feeling better soon!
    I'm glad someone is taking you serious.
    Please keep us posted.
    I hope you'll feel better soon!
    Think of yourself like an athlete who is so dehydrated when they're competing and come off the field feeling yucky and vomiting all over with muscle cramps, they drink some Gatorade G2 or something with potassium. You may think you're hydrated enough, but you may not be and this could be a "circle of trouble." Have you tried drinking some other liquids like Vitamin Water Zero, Gatorade G2, and our bariatric coordinator recommends V8 juice which can be heated and eaten like tomato soup. Give this a try and see if it makes a difference!
    Hang in there and please seek help if you think there is really something wrong internally. It's a challenge and each day is a learning experience!
    Hope you're feeling better and they get to the problem for you.
    Keep us updated!
    Wow. That must have been rough. I have seen a few sleevers go through this. Glad you were able to get to the doctor to get fluids in.