Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Early 9 months post-op...and meeting a plastic surgeon.

Rate this Entry
I had a busy Saturday. Most of my morning was spent at the hospital to meet my bariatric surgeon and the team. My post-op is three weeks early because I will be overseas on the due date, and since I will be traveling most of October, the surgeon wanted to see me before I left. Besides the crazy sugar craving I had last week, my weight loss is much slower the past two months but my doc was happy with my results and said I'm doing better than many of his younger patients, I'm in the higher percentage of weight loss (really???) so it's pretty good from his point of view. Blood test is ok too...
After a quick (bad) lunch, I met with the plastic surgeon. Something got lost in translation because he actually left the team recently so he is doing his surgeries outside the hospital, and for me it's a big no no. No ICU= no surgery. But since I was at the practice, we had the consult any way, and because I was not well informed, I actually didn't pay for the consult, which was really nice of him. Free is always nice...
I did explain that my "emergency" is the abdominoplasty because I'm dealing with muscle pain for several months now and it's getting worth each time I exercise. I'm afraid I could develop a hernia or worth issues like some of my relatives who had multiple surgeries and implants of metal "mesh" to close their hernias....it's that bad...
He did confirm that my muscles are really weak and that surgery is the priority. I told him about thinking about January to do it, I would be at one year post op, he said that it was a little early and it would be better to reach goal first but after looking at my belly he said that I did lose a lot in that area and that actually it would be ok to even do it right now.
I was really surprised! The surgeon did know I would not do the surgery with him so his opinion was interesting.
I did ask about arm lift and tumor removal as well since I was there, but that would take place much later, and no emergency here. Actually from what he said for the arm lift it's better to wait until year two. I could do the tumor removal now.
But about the tummy tuck, because I have lot's of adhesion (3 C sections) plus a severe endometriosis, the surgery will be long and complicated and will require at least two to three months of rest. So January 2017 is my only window... or I will have to wait January 2018 and that would be too risky..

I will meet with one or two other plastic surgeons in November when I'm back..

Submit "Early 9 months post-op...and meeting a plastic surgeon." to Digg Submit "Early 9 months post-op...and meeting a plastic surgeon." to del.icio.us Submit "Early 9 months post-op...and meeting a plastic surgeon." to StumbleUpon Submit "Early 9 months post-op...and meeting a plastic surgeon." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good for you!! I love hearing when my doctor says your doing much better than my younger patients!! Makes me sit up a little straighter. I had said earlier on before surgery that I wouldn't have a tummy tuck or any surgery. But now I'm kinda revisiting that decision.
    Thanks Donna! It was nice to hear indeed. I must say that I think that "out of context" I'm in the average if I compare with stats in the US or in France. People here in Asia eat a lot of rice in their diet and their weight loss is probably slower for that reason. They also like fatty meat, I don't. At the end, only the final result will count, it would be interested to look at studies who show how the regain work in different countries/diet style...couldn't find one so far.
    About the surgeries...I was like you. But now I can see that my abdomen is really a problem and it's getting worth each month. The apron is actually smaller now so the skin is retracting (at some point it was scary!) but the muscle issue is getting out of control. And I do wear special garments...but it doesn't seem to do anything when I work out.
    We have had different plastic surgeons speak 3 times at our weight loss support group. (I've been going for 3 years now!) All 3 said they won't do the surgery until you have been at goal for a year. But yours sounds like a special case.
    Congrats on the weight loss. Sounds like you have everything on track. Enjoy?? your travels.
    A little more than 20 years ago I had to have reconstructive surgery after some health issues. The plastic surgeon was really specific about my weight at the time, and I was not even obese. I guess it depends on the kind of surgery and how the patient has lost the weight. It wouldn't make sens to have a lipo 40 pounds away from goal. But in January I would be apparently at my (bariatric) surgeon's goal and since the first plastic surgeon was already ok to do it now I guess the next surgeon will (hopefully) say the same! My insurance is actually paying for it because they also look at this surgery as reconstruction, not just plastic surgery.
    Thanks Theresa! I hope everything is good for you too! It will be the first trip with the lowest weight I have been in 20 years. I'm amazed that so many things in my life changed so quickly after only 8 months.