Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

trwilson75

2 weeks post-op today - total loss: 16lbs feeling icky? is this normal?

Rate this Entry
Okay, so today is my 2 weeks sleeversary. The first week post-op I felt great... just drinking slow...etc. But shortly after week 1, about 8 days post-op I started feeling pain.. the kind of deep pain like gas pain/stomach cramps, etc.
I had to start taking my pain meds, that I otherwise had not taken since surgery...
My drinking is getting easier - but drinking shakes, etc... still makes my tummy a bit ughh.i am learning *the hard way* when I have drank too much -
I almost instantly throw it up...

The problem for me is getting enough protein and calories?
I am probably getting about 30oz of water (some days more ... some days not) and about 30 grams of protein right now.. that's really all about I can handle for now..

I started a multivitamin a few days ago to help offset the fact I am not getting much of anything yet..

Is all this normal?

Just checking..
I was feeling so good the first week and now week 2 just havin a hard time with nausea and feeling blah.

I have lost 16 pounds since pre-op diet...

Submit "2 weeks post-op today - total loss: 16lbs feeling icky? is this normal?" to Digg Submit "2 weeks post-op today - total loss: 16lbs feeling icky? is this normal?" to del.icio.us Submit "2 weeks post-op today - total loss: 16lbs feeling icky? is this normal?" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 weeks post-op today - total loss: 16lbs feeling icky? is this normal?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All you have to worry about right now is getting in your required amount of protein and liquid. And at you stage, your protein will count as liquid too! I drank the Isopure drinks, and I don't remember the specifics anymore, but I think they were 20 ounces and 40 grams protein. (It's been so long, that's probably wrong.) Sip all day long, you'll get it in. Rest. Walk a little. I always did exactly as told for fear of ending up back in the hospital with dehydration or something.

And of course you should be taking your vitamins, more than just a multivitamin. What did your surgeon recommend? Vitamins are for life now.

As far as the pain two weeks out, it wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon to check. It's probably nothing, but they would know.
    I hope you start feeling better
    I was sick for 3 days post-op, and had nausea for more than six months. But when I was not drinking enough I was feeling worth. Drink as much as you can, and try to get your protein and vitamins. I always had a drink ready so I could sip all day. First month month was not easy for me...so hang in there, it will get better. The goal is worth it! take care!
    If you feel as though the pain is getting worse each day rather then better then call your doctor, especially if you pain is accompanied by a fever. Everyone is different after surgery, your pain might be just be from healing, or it might be from gas from swallowing air. If your getting dehydrated then your going to feel icky. My doctor didn't expect me to reach the goals right away.
    It took me a really long time to get to the 64oz of water and all the protien. Always have a water bottle handy and try to sip it as much as possible. It's not easy, especially right now when your stomach is swollen.
    Just sip as often as you can. It definitely gets easier and it is so worth it.
    multivitamins will make you nauseated, too, sometimes. Don't worry about getting all the protein in....it's still way early, just do what you can and don't fret about it.

there are vitamin patches you can use from Patchmd.com.

how're the BM's going? are ya plugged up? that'll make you feel like crap (pun intended), too.
    Get your fluids in as well as you can and don't worry to much about the protein. Gradually you will be able to get more in. It took me a month to get more than 30 grams of protein in. At 2 weeks out your doing fine. As far as the pains ho sounds like it might be gas. But ask your doctor just to be on the safe side
    Thanks everyone! Pain isnt getting worse.. but boarders where it feels like gas/cramping/hunger pains.. although I am not hungry. I also get nauseated easy. I definitely can tell on days I dont have enough fluids.. I feel worse... so I am trying to sip all day.. sip sip sip.

For about 9 days I had no BM... so after taking 2 laxatives and no luck.. I ended up having to do an enema.. that truly helped some of my pain.. I really was plugged up.. even though there isnt much in me to plug up.

So hearing all this helps.. I think im just not getting enough fluids... I will monitor my pain.. which again feels more like gas/hunger/dehydration than anything else. No fevers, no issues otherwise..
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

Tanya
    I suggest trying unflavored protein and adding that to a broth. I too am sick of shakes and this helped me greatly to up my protein. I too am having issues with nausea, even smells in my house are making me sick to my stomach. This too shall pass, but keep us updated on your progress and best of luck to you!
    I have to say I never had nausea unless I ate too much or too fast. Definitely don't gulp anything that hurts too. I am in week six and just ate and I think I ate too fast because now it hurts a like indigestion. It is definitely a learning process. Funny...I did't have an problems with BM until this last week. Now I think I might have to break out the laxatives, I think it is because I am getting more into softer more solid foods and I have always had a hard time chewing my food completely. Just keep drinking your fluids and your protein and vitamin requirements will follow as you are able to hold down your shakes and more solid food.