Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Dawnislas

Why I decided to have "that surgery"

Rate this Entry
I don't know why I've always called it "that surgery" but it's what I say. I 'm not even sure what kind of surgery I was talking about. For sure it wasn't the gastric bypass, way to intense for me and I was probably not a candidate anyway. I thought the lap band but I never pursued it, inthnk because the idea of a foreign object inside my body creeps me out.
It wasn't until my sister-in-law showed up at my house a lot thinner and very healthy lookng that I learned about the gastric sleeve. Now here I am on day 1 of my pre op diet and counting down the days until September 13 and the day.
I have been going to Weight Watchers for 20 months and have lost and gained the same 8'pounds the entire time. My endocrinologist suggested this surgery over 2 years ago because of the health issues.
My daughter doesn't think I have tried hard enough and she is right about this time but I have tried really hard so many times in the past and I have maintained the past 5 years but not really lost.
I have decided to not tell anyone besides those people who have to know because I don't want to feel like people are judging me daily. I have always wanted to blend into the woodwork and I hope I can do it this time also.
Why am I doing this now? I'm doing it for the neuropathy in my feet, my eyesight, kdneys, my knees that ache, my incontinence, my back aches, my granddaughters, so I can travel after retirement, so I can garden easier, give presentations/trainings at work and not feel embarrassed, and so I can climb stairs and not hills people up or be totally breathless when I reach the top.
I think those are good reasons and so I will not let what anyone thinks about my decision, I will do this because I can. And for that I am so very thankful to God and to my husband for having a great insurance policy.

Submit "Why I decided to have "that surgery"" to Digg Submit "Why I decided to have "that surgery"" to del.icio.us Submit "Why I decided to have "that surgery"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why I decided to have "that surgery"" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Omg I felt like I just read something I would have wrote.
    My surgery is the 29 September I'm right behind you and I as well
    Am not telling anyone either.
    Good for you! You got this girl!!
    Thank you for sharing and good luck with up coming surgery. Not long now.
    Prayers
    Cathy
    Way to go taking the next step. If anyone tells you that you didn't try hard enough then they don't really know the struggle or the embarrassment of watching everyone else eat crazy good food while you are starving trying to choke down that salad. I had the surgery 11 days ago and I only told my husband and my friend that I took with me. I waited til right before I left to tell anyone else. I didn't want any lectures or comments. Mostly, I knew my family would worry and I just want to be healthy. Good luck in your adventure and believe it or not...more people have had the surgery than you think. When I finally announced it, several of my friends let me know they had had it done and they loved it and gave me ideas. There are lots of people that just don't say anything because of the fear of judgment.
    This is a great post!!

As my user name probably tells you, I am not telling everyone in my family either. A lot of people in my own family are VERY judgmental about getting this surgery and say its the "easy way out".

I don't think everyone understands, Not ALL of the time is it JUST about losing weight. I am 29 and have now been told (even after losing 40 pounds) that I'm pre diabetic and it isn't getting any better, My knees ache SO bad some times I cant even walk, My back pain is ABSURED, My doctor looked my husband and I in our eyes and told me "You are heading down a dangerous road if something isn't done. And you haven't even began having kids yet." Yes, The weight loss will be nice. BUT a future of less worry and pain will be even better!

My surgery date is Sept 20th! I wish you nothing but well and just know, you aren't alone!
    Thank you, the same to you.
    Love the post.. thank you
    Love the post and knowing now what is so involved with this surgery ...it certainly isn't the easy way out. It is a forever lifestyle.
    So, I won't be carrying a banner, but I won't be ashamed for doing it.
    Congrats to all who have done this...I am waiting for my date. YEAH!!!
    YES!!! This is me too. Thank you for blogging, I hope you continue to blog!

<3