Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tandem

Week 3 - New week, new challenges

Rate this Entry
My family and I are going on our fourth week back in the US. We spent the first month in an extended stay hotel that had two bedrooms and a full kitchen. We were staying in Houston which was where I had my surgery. It was great because with the full kitchen I was able to use my Vitamix to make my shakes using greek yogurt, protein powder and PB2. I was also able to blend up soups and add protein powder.

I am now in week three, post-op. We have moved on and are now in Louisiana visiting my in-laws. We're in a hotel, but not an extended stay hotel which means no kitchen. The Vitamix is being shipped to Kenya, which is where we're moving to next month. I have to send it this week to make sure that it will be there when we arrive.

I swear, since I've been in Louisiana, the main topic has been food and the 4th of July BBQ. My mother-in-law, bless her heart, had some cornbread, smothered pork chops, rice and beans ready for us when we arrived yesterday. I picked through the beans, which we're loaded with bits of ham hocks and sausage, and was able to eat that.

Today we came by my in-laws, and as we walked through the door my mother-in-law handed us some fried chicken wings. I took a wing to be polite and when we were out of view, my loving husband took it off my plate.

I am not looking forward to the family BBQ on Monday. I have been away from real, down home cooking for so long. . .and quite frankly I miss it. With us headed to Kenya soon it will probably be another two years before I'll be around it again. My plan to deal with the BBQ is to have a protein shake before I leave the hotel. Once I get to my in-laws, I'm going load my plate with beans and chicken. The chicken will serve as decoration only. If I don't have meat on my plate I will be berated with questions: "Why aren't you eating?" "Don't you want some ribs" "You better get some of this meat before it's all gone!" "Did you taste the sausage As long as I have some decorative meat on my plate, I think I can avoid harassment. I will pass it on to my husband to eat when when we're out of view.

I don't think I want to tell them about the surgery. I thought I was going to but I don't think they'd be understanding.

Next week, we'll be visiting my family where food won't be the center of everything. I can drink my protein shake in peace without anyone asking me what I'm drinking and why. I'm not telling my family about the surgery either. I just don't want to deal with the judgement. Good thing about living away from family is I won't be around for them to notice the rapid weight loss. When they see me again in two years, I should be at goal weight.

Submit "Week 3 - New week, new challenges" to Digg Submit "Week 3 - New week, new challenges" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 3 - New week, new challenges" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 3 - New week, new challenges" to Google

Comments

Good luck!! All that food sounds so delivious!! You can always say you got a stomach bug and you're not holding much down. Then again you won't have this kind of food in Kenya and you'll miss it so have whatever you can, you're at a very early stage so you can't eat much anyway!