Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

johnsvh1

Success and Lows

Rate this Entry
This week I had my first return appointment. I am down 10lbs since the surgery and 10 lbs was lost during pre-op. (Someone should market that pre-op liquid week as a wedding diet!)
It normally takes me forever to loose that many pounds and to say I am 20 down is exciting. But, I don't feel it. My mother, a best friend Al, and my boss all commented on my face being thinner, I wore a dress to an informational interview that over Christmas was a bit too tight, and my PJs did fall off of me while running to the bathroom. And yet I don't feel excited. I don't feel a sense of accomplishment.
I am at this point where I am now navigating food with less strict guidelines. I am trying-the chewing, the ounces, the cutting, etc. but am not keeping much down. I need to slow down. And then I am also a little afraid to push myself to go further in to those foods because what if what I know is a food addiction crops back up.
I am also working on doing this surgery for my mind as well. I am working very hard on negatives becoming positives before they come out of my mouth. To be truthful, to be kind, and to push myself to be as good as I can be.
This past week was not a good week for any of the goals. But, today is a new day and I will keep trying. Small steps every day.

Submit "Success and Lows" to Digg Submit "Success and Lows" to del.icio.us Submit "Success and Lows" to StumbleUpon Submit "Success and Lows" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This journey is not only changing our eating habits but changing our minds, the way we think, the way we cope. Amazing how large of a part food plays in our lives.
    Sounds like your doing great. It was hard for me to see changes when other people saw them. I suggest taking a selfie once a week or once a month. Wear the same outfit each time. Full body shot and just a face shot. It's really neat to see the changes.
    If you not keeping much down then you definitely need to slow down. I was liquid diet first 3 weeks. 4th was puree, 5th softs. No steak for 6 months. You really do need to chew till its mush. If you feel like your taking too big of bites then go out and buy a baby spoon. Eating too fast? Set up your timer on your phone, take a bite, chew it for one minute. Wait 2 before the next bite. This isn't forever, just for now. You don't want to be vomiting.
    A positive attitude will take you far! Embrace it! Enjoy the journey.
    Same thing here!
    I lost the same amount of weight and see it a little on clothing but don't really feel it either.

Last time I lost weight it took me months and around 60 pounds to really see a difference.

So let's wait, it's coming!! and it will come quicker than we think....

My brain is probably not ready to cope with a smaller body, soon I will really exercise, it will help for sure. May be also massages like lymphatic drainage will help too, it did in the past.

I just think I will leave the scale alone, see my weight at my next visit, and focus on other priorities like drink enough.
    A common phenomenon the first 3-6 months after WLS is that, as our fat breaks down and we lose weight rapidly, a lot of hormones and toxins that have built up over time and are stored in our bodies amidst our fat cells start leaving the body through our circulatory systems, kidneys and digestive systems. As they flood into these areas, our bodies reabsorb some of them -- making us (ahem!) cranky, moody, weird or even occasionally just nuts.

Many women and men report that early on post-op they feel more grief, anger, fear, and anxiety than they normally do. There are tears, short tempers, outbursts, and worries about what the hell is going on with us?! In other words, you are experiencing what many (most?) people feel post-op -- not quite yourself. Because you're not.

This is just one more good reason to drink lots of water to help your body that's working so hard flush out the toxins and extra hormones flooding out of your body.

BTW, here's a good thing to remember to be successful with your WLS -- just take this one day at a time and never expect that tomorrow or next week or next month or next year you'll be dealing with what's happening at this moment. When they say it's "a journey" they are not kidding!