Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

johnsvh1

Transition to Fork Mash-able

Rate this Entry
Today I can start my fork maskable food stages. What is on the list? eggs, tuna, mashed legumes, etc. I woke up VERY excited about this possibility and have stocked my fridge with salmon, refried beans, lima beans, and eggs. I started with scrambled eggs (2) although one did break on the floor. After lightly scrambling the egg, not drinking 30 minutes before, and not during I eagerly sat down to chew (27 times each bite) for the first time in 3 weeks.

Well, that did not settle too well. After about 5 minutes of chest tightness it all came right back up.

1. This was sad and annoying because I do desperately want to eat "real" foods and I was following the outlines perfectly.
2. It was oddly a comfort because I feel like this liquid stage is keeping the weight loss guaranteed.

I've now tried some avocado. I was able to successfully eat 1/4 of one. And the feeling that has been described over and over again that you just feel full hit. My mind and mouth did not feel food but there was no way that tasty avocado that my mind, tongue, and throat wanted was going to go down anymore. You are full but not content or satiated. I hope the last parts come as I change my habits over time.

This week I have also forced myself to be back in the social world my friends are in. While that is a lot of drinking and bars (age 27) I have abstained of course and it has been fun but even seeing a clink of champagne glasses on TV makes me more than thirsty for the bubbly. This past weekend many of my friends from my home state went on a trip all together. My immediate reaction was "wow I wish I was invited!" and then a reminder what all would I do-no drinking games, no late night bar shots, no waffle house, no take-out the next morning. And while that doesn't sound perfect-it does sound comforting and what I am used to! Its going to be a transition. But one in the long run has to be made. I just can't use this surgery any type of excuse to not push myself in to new things and work on transitioning old habits new ways.

Small Steps Every Day

Submit "Transition to Fork Mash-able" to Digg Submit "Transition to Fork Mash-able" to del.icio.us Submit "Transition to Fork Mash-able" to StumbleUpon Submit "Transition to Fork Mash-able" to Google

Comments

I don't think it's what your eating, it's how much you are eating. I could eat no more 1-2 tablespoons of anything solid for at least 6-8 weeks. It was several months before I could finish a whole egg, and it took me at least a week to eat a whole avacodo. So keep trying, but go super slow. You'll definitely be able to eat a lot more later on, but remember the goal isn't to eat until you're full, it's just to eat enough to satisfy the nutrients your body needs. We've let our screwed up obese brains control our portions for so long, it's hard to think about food that way, but it's the best lesson I learned.
    I agree with what Kindle mentioned. I will also add that eggs to this day (1 year out) make my stomach queasy. You are going to find some foods will just not set right while others are fine. Good luck
    I amazed at the taste, low sugar/high protein, count of Fairlife non-fat milk, and its lactose free. for 13 g protein a cup it might be a good option throughout the day
    It's going to be trial & error until you find what your new tummy likes. Take it slow and steady, and you'll get the hang of it. I too found eggs very hard in the beginning, and now only like them a couple of ways. Continued success!
    I'm two months out and down 35 pounds, and I can't get a full egg down. Eggs are weird, so don't get caught up in that. But I can eat half a sandwich or half a breast of chicken. That tightness is your signal to stop, if you don't and keep eating you will throw it up. That won't change. In two hours the pouch will be ready for a snack. I can get about four ritz crackers w fat free cream cheese in and that's it. You need to always eat protien first.,scallops have the highest protien more than tuna or any other fish. I also drink a protein shake every morning to get immediate protien into the body after eight hours or longer with nothing from the night.