Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

manzerick

"The New Me" - Part one

Rate this Entry
Ahhh.. the grand thought of “A new me”. We see this in huge numbers during the New Year’s resolution period. NEW YEAR NEW ME!! Sadly, new me’s don’t happen often. Yet, once someone loses weight, they are almost forced to swear off the person they “once were”. They are asked to validate hate and negative comments towards the person they “lost and will never find again”. These things sit very funny with me.

In my life, people ask about “the new me”. They seem to believe I unzipped a suit I was wearing, looked down, snarled in disgust, and walked away never looking back. Like a divorce between my “faulty life decision self”, and the “right decision self” would have caused collateral damage in my inner being, not allowing me to live in peace knowing where I am today? How can I hate the person I am?

I am a collection of my life days, the path direction, the years to decades, the snap shots, the entire kit and caboodle. I own it. It is me. I am the sum of all my parts, good and bad.

The reality is, I still have the “fat suit”, no one can see it right now. It’s suppressed.

I often will cringe when I get comments such as “you were fat bastard before, you must feel great!!” (that was a real comment I received) Or the loving “We were all scared you were going to DIE”(again, another real one). I know those comments come from a place of love, it’s just hard to hear. They do sting, but I get it. THEY DON’T GET IT. Nor do they have to. Think about it.

To me, I am still 444 pound inside. I feel pain when 444 pound Ken is insulted. I feel a connection to my roots, and there is NO ILL WILL towards myself for taking a decade off to shop in Casual Male XL. It is part of the journey. It is what makes me.. well.. ME. They only see how much “better” I am now, and can’t possibly understand the connection, the pain, the journey.

I can’t fault them.

I do not fault them at all, and do all I can to not let it bother me. We have all come so far, and our journeys are not typical. How can typical people understand?

I no longer hang out where the “old me” did
I no longer have the same friends the “old me” did
I no longer wear the same clothes the “old me “ did
I no longer eat or exercise like the “old me” did

I know there is a “new me”, I just do not see this new persona as having any more value than “old me”. I believe that is where I have my issues. Just getting my thoughts out here make me recognize “new me” more, and to be less defensive of comments etc.

We did what we did, and I know we chose life and hope. I go up with hope, and down with the dopes!

I love where things have come and wouldn’t dream of changing this journey. One love

Has anyone else experience this sort of old self shaming? If so, please share below.

<<This is part one. I do not have time for the second part on "how other view me now".. More to come!>>

Submit ""The New Me"  - Part one" to Digg Submit ""The New Me"  - Part one" to del.icio.us Submit ""The New Me"  - Part one" to StumbleUpon Submit ""The New Me"  - Part one" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes, I do it everyday. I hate myself, I hate the decisions I have made in my life. I hate the pain it has caused my children and now I see all of my past I do not want to see it anymore. I am guilty of these things I should have been stronger and not let the bad people hurt mh kids. I should have fought back.

I do miss the old me. She was full of life and saw the world as beautiful. Mh son said that my blinders have cime off and I am seeing things from a new view. I don't like what I see. I have made this so complicated. I feel like I am going to go crazy.

I am a victim of abuse and in turn have made decisions in my life that put my children in jeopardy. This surgery opened a door of fear shame guilt hate untrust. It let so much dzrkness in that I am swamped with it to the point that I am almost paralyzed. I am trying to find the right help but I don't know if I am helpable.

I am blessed and I am fortunate that I am surrounded by good friends and family that keep remi ding me of all the things about me. I guess that I have to get a place in life where I feel worthy enough to have a good outcome. I don't even know why I am still alive. I carry so much guilt and shame and I don't like it. I have been so blind and so weak all of my life. Ibelive that we are our own worst enemy. How do I fight this ? How do I move on from here. When will I evere sleep through the night and wake up feeling peaceful again.
    It is always a little insulting when people go on and on about how great I look now, makes me feel like "Wow, I must have really looked like s__t before!" I guess I did, but I don't need all the reminding.

bnk1ck, have you seen a doctor? I'm really worried about you, and I don't even know you. You sound horribly depressed and need medical
    help desperately.
    Thanks for the "New Me " I just got sleeved yesterday January 15,2016 and feeling great so I'll see what my New Me has in store for me . By the way you didn't look bad at 444 lb but I know you feel healthy. Thanks again for your story