Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

moonchild

One day away...

Rate this Entry
Surprisingly, I feel more excited than nervous, mostly because my dearest friend at work just got sleeved in October so I know what to expect and I have her as a soundboard for all my fears. I'm really lucky to have her. Originally, I was going to go to Tijuana but backed out at the last minute. I'm a very private person and so is my work friend but somehow she ended up telling me she was going through the pre-approval process for the gastric sleeve and I told her about going to Mexico. Since we have the same insurance I decided to go for it. I never thought insurance would cover my surgery but it has! The preapproval process has been time consuming but very easy. I read about a lot of people going through intense nutrition counseling but I didn't have that. I almost wish there had been a little more support but supposedly there are post-operative classes and meetings.
As far as family support, I wasn't planning on telling my mom because she is a very negative person and when I even brought up the topic of weight loss surgery a few months ago she flipped out. She was an ER nurse for 30 years and saw the early days of gastric bypass surgeries and their complications. She was still of the mindset that WLS was extremely dangerous. About a month ago she told me her friend was considering the sleeve and she seemed very optomistic for her but I still couldn't tell her. It's one thing for her friend to consider it but it's a whole other thing to have her daughter do it. Then, over Christmas she noticed I wasn't eating all the goodies. When she asked what diet I was on I said, "it's a preop diet," and when she asked for more details I told her the whole thing. She cried and said she was so happy for me because she had been so worried about my health. I was shocked by her reaction. She was hurt I couldn't tell her before and she promised to be supportive. Now, she's coming to stay during my surgery to help take care of me! I'm so relieved and to be honest was a little worried about just my husband taking care of me, lol.
Now, I just have to worry about getting the house cleaned and a drinking only clear liquids today. Also, I have to get a chest X-ray today to make sure all is clear since I had a bad respiratory virus last week. I hope my cough is gone by Tuesday! It will probably beyond hurt to cough!

Submit "One day away..." to Digg Submit "One day away..." to del.icio.us Submit "One day away..." to StumbleUpon Submit "One day away..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that hasn't informed my mother what I am doing. I just don't want to hear the negativity so I haven't told any of my family aside from my husband and children (told children I was having a procedure done that would help with my weight). I don't know what my mom would say...probably nothing at all which in my eyes would be worse. Thanks for sharing your story though. That does help!
    You'll find a lot of support on here. Also, check out realself.com. There are tons of personal stories and advice on that site. It's hard not telling family but sometimes it's for the best. You need to surround yourself with positive energy and understanding!
    This is where I also come for support, i've only told one aunt and I don't think she remembers. lol