Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

eytria

So maybe It's working too well??

Rate this Entry
The only real problem I'm running into so far it that I'm REALLY not hungry, except for only a few times now. I know that's what the surgery is suppose to do but it's hard to meet my water and protein intake when I'm having to force myself. It's not pain full unless I take too big of a drink or bite. I don't know if it makes a difference that I was fast tracked into surgery and only had just under 2 weeks on the pre-op diet but I didn't experience the starving that I've read so much about. Don't get me wrong the first 3 days sucked lol but I turned around and before I could wrap my brain around it my surgery was here. So at this point I trying to find other ways to meet my requirements other than protein shakes that are just too thick and heavy, not to mention takes me ALL day to get down. The only other thing I've found that fits into my pureed diet it some healthy options of Greek yogurt that runs about 80 cal 7 g sugar and 11g protein and single serve container BUT it has taken me 2 days to finish one. I've tried split pea soup condensed, 1 can has lasted me 4 days now and I still have lunch left for tomorrow lol I open the can, put it into a tupper ware container and only spoon out 1-2 Tbls into a bowl and just add 1-2 oz hot water. This isn't even taking into account that I'm walking regularly ( and probably a little more that was recommended ) for what I'm now burning. This is a complete 180 from what I was doing. It's over whelming at times. Any thoughts, suggestions or just good old fashion encouragement is WELCOMED.

Submit "So maybe It's working too well??" to Digg Submit "So maybe It's working too well??" to del.icio.us Submit "So maybe It's working too well??" to StumbleUpon Submit "So maybe It's working too well??" to Google

Tags: not hungry Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

first off, if you are a newbie which i assume you are..by the post..you need to push liquids..that is even more important in the beginning than the protein. and it is hard to drink it all in the beginning..yes..so try everything..tea, crystal light powder in the drink, every thing push the liquids.

also experiment with differnt kinds of protien drinks. i tried loads of things..and found premier protien..and love that one..chocolate..and it is 30 grams of protein.

the fact of the matter is..you are newly sleeved and you are healling..once you are healed things will be dramatically different. i can drink normally now..eat most foods, just not a lot of them..it becomes much more routine..

it is early still..keep babying that tiny tummy of yours..and try real hard to sip sip sip as much as you can..and then sip on protein as well...all the other things will fall in line...
    good luck!! you got this!!
    Don't worry, you'll be hungry again. At almost 2 years out I get hungry all the time. (Early on I did not.)
    Thank you that does help =) So I will keep the water bottle attached to my hand everywhere I go and I will most defiantly check out the premier protein. I'm seeing everyone loving it.
    Don't worry, this is completely normal. You need to remember that not only did you just have most of your stomach cut out but it is also still very swollen and irritated and will be for weeks, at least. Every sip or bite you get in right now is kind of a miracle. Our doctors give us these fluid and protein goals as something to work TOWARDS but it's not something they expect you to achieve on day one. Yes, you should aim in that direction and do your very best but it definitely takes a while to achieve those goals.

I agree with cathbas that at the very beginning you should prioritize fluid intake over protein. Dehydration is one of the biggest risks after surgery so getting in as much fluid as possible should be your #1 concern. At the beginning water was hard for me to get down so I relied on warm decaf tea and powerade zero for most of my fluid requirements. You'll just have to find what works for you. At about a month and a half to two months out, water became my best friend again and I kicked the powerade to the curb.

Another thing that worked for me was sipping while I'm walking. I found that being up and moving around while I'm sipping made it go down easier so I definitely recommend giving that a try. And yes, I'm another advocate of Premier protein. I sip on a vanilla one every morning for breakfast and it usually takes me around 45 mins to an hour to finish it. But it's nice getting in 30 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

Anyway, just give it time. You will figure it all out and it will get easier. The sleeve is a self-teaching mechanism so just listen to your body and do your best. Good luck!!
    Thank You Didishae
    Meeting fluids and protein goals is a full time job in the beginning. I had no interest in eating or drinking for the first 4 months. It was an unwelcome, tiresome chore. I had to sip ALL DAY LONG to meet goals. Added protein to everything I consumed and like didishae, warm decaf herbal tea and dilute juice and sports drinks went down much easier than plain water. On the one hand I thought...geez these is gonna be easy to lose weight. And on the other hand I thought....this sucks, do I HAVE to eat AGAIN?! The best days were when I got dehydrated and I needed IV fluids. I actually didn't have to drink anything for a whole day! (Just kidding....sort of, not)

Believe me, things will change. I was enjoying food again by 6 months and My appetite returned full force by 10-12 months out. At 21 months and fighting the head hunger games every day, I would love to have a little of that food aversion back again.