Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cari2015

Two days before surgery..frightened.

Rate this Entry
Anyone out there in this vast world that's post-op and can give words of encouragement? I'm 66 years old feeling like I am a foolish "old" woman, but I look much younger and I feel just as young. I have had other surgeries, but this the first elective surgery I've had. I"m having this done for health reasons and yes I want to feel better in my own skin.

Submit "Two days before surgery..frightened." to Digg Submit "Two days before surgery..frightened." to del.icio.us Submit "Two days before surgery..frightened." to StumbleUpon Submit "Two days before surgery..frightened." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Please, don't be frightened. The vast number of patients who have gone through this, and are doing well, should give you assurance that it will all be well. We have all gone through some degree of fear, which is reasonable, but as you can see, I went to Mexico and came back okay...all alone...and there are many others who go alone as well. It is one of the best decisions I ever made...

My thoughts are with you!
    What you are going through is perfectly normal and you will see similar posts on here from others. Just remember your surgeon is well trained. I made sure I complemented the anesthetist as he/ she is the one that keep you alive during the surgery. I even went to the trouble of getting things in order just incase including tidying my office out at work and reorganising things at home. Seems silly now but it was all part of my mental preparation. Hang in there you will soon be on the sleeved side and the journey will begin.
    Oh, Cari! Take heart. I'm older than you (69) and was sleeved August 2014 when I was 68. I have done great. Just great! Honestly, I think the older WLS patients have such an advantage. We've been there, done that, learned so much, and (after trying everything else) have finally found the VSG advantage that can make the necessary difference for us.

And of course you're not foolish or old. We have so much life ahead of us. Let's make this time count the most we possibly can. Let's squeeze all the pleasure and joy out of our golden years that we possibly can.
    Thank you to LadyJu, Pattersonviv and Ann2 for your heart felt support and caring. It made me cry. Your words meant the world to me. I needed a boost to go through this and your kind words have empowered me. Up date to follow.
    Everything will go smoothly. You will be fine.

We look forward to reading about your successful weight loss, post surgery.

Let the nurses at the hospital know how you feel, they will comfort you and be reassuring.

Congratulations and put on a happy !
    Don't be scared. I'm 68 and I had surgery on October 10, 2014. I have lost 63 pounds. You deserve to feel good about yourself and WLS can provide you with the tool you need to conquer weight loss once and for all. Go for it!
    Sweet Cari, your doing the right thing for you, to be a better, healthier you!!! I am 57, & just had surgery last Monday. I am doing great! For some reason, my biggest fear was being extremely nauseous/throwing up after surgery. Through friends on here, I found out, to talk to your anesthesiologist, when your in pre-op & let him know this. He told me they would give me something while I was out, & when I woke up in pre-op I wasn't nauseous at all. The evening of my surgery, I got a little nauseous, ask for something, & I was fine. Your going to do great, & I don't think it's ever to late to be healthier!
    I am over overwhelmed by all of the response I have received. There are so many caring and thoughtful people. Today has been difficult for me and I have just not felt like myself. I have been finishing up on things here at home. Tomorrow I will be gathering what I need to take with me to the hospital and be preparing myself mentally. I went off my blood pressure med today and none tomorrow pre doctors orders, because I am on one that's on the list of meds not to take2 days before surgery. Ugh! I feel so tired and blah. Hopefully I won't need to take it after surgery or at least soon after. Thank you again for your support.
    If you weren't scared or nervous, I would be concerned.This is going into the unknown. I am 62, this is my 3rd post op day. I wounder why I didn't do this sooner. This is gonna change our lives for the better. You will come thru w/ flying colors.
    Perfectly normal to be afraid! Last weekend I was feeling those same anxieties... this weekend I'm looking back at the past week and already seeing progress even so soon. I applaud you for taking this step in bettering your health! Keep reminding yourself of the reasons you're doing this. Then remind yourself that they give you really nice drugs just before surgery to help calm your nerves.

You will do great!
    Cari, congrats on making this big decision. I'm 67 and 2 months out from having my surgery. They say everyone is different after surgery but I personally didn't have any nauseous issues or vomiting. The nurses are very attentive while your in the hospital; take advantage of their expertise. Best decision I've ever made. For me it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that i'm going to lose the weight and be happy and healthy. Good Luck!
    Well, tomorrow is my big day, surgery! I have doing great after reading all the responses of encouragement. I am ready to have it over with so I can start healing. I am looking so forward to a new "me". Not just a slimmer body, but also feeling better about myself and being able to do things fun that I haven't be able to do for a long time. Keep me in your prayers.