Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SethP

Medical Update

Rate this Entry
So yesterday I went for my bi-annual visit with the Endocrinologist for Type 2 Diabetes. I have been seeing him for about 5 years now. For the 3rd visit I can happily report that my A1c is 6.6. He was very pleased that the diabetes has been held in check now for 18 months with the help of the sleeve. On another note, my Triglyceride level has dropped from 535 to 239 in the last 6 months. I can safely say that having this surgery has saved my life.

IF you are on the fence about doing this procedure or if you have questions, please feel free to ask. IF you feel it is personal then send it to my inbox and I will take the time to answer. Godspeed to all of you on your perspective journeys.

Submit "Medical Update" to Digg Submit "Medical Update" to del.icio.us Submit "Medical Update" to StumbleUpon Submit "Medical Update" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Seth,
    I am 53. I weigh 220. I have just started this journey. I have had Kaiser insurance in Ohio which is now Health Span. There are a lot of post op requirements to qualify for this surgery, although I am grateful for that. Having said that since I have started this journey, they have discovered that I have severe sleep apnea, pre-diabetic, acid reflux (i already knew that) and restless leg. I had an EKG done 2 years ago and had another done last week. My PCP after reading my results wants me to see a cardiologist. This was going to be one of the requirements anyway.

Bottom line, I'm scared. I have never had surgery. Afraid of not coming out of it. I have already been to see behavior health (another requirement) and clearly understand the changes that need to be made now, and once I have the surgery.

How does one get through this without your anxiety level going through the roof.

Any advice?

Congrats on all of your successes!!
    Excellent result. Thanks for posting as it encourages us yet to be sleeved. Viv
    Right on!
    Yes we have added years to our quality of life. Way to go
    Your lab work is wonderful!!!! I'm proud of you!! You have taken charge of your life.
    Excellent news, Seth. I'm glad life is going so well for you since surgery.
    Seth, awesome place to be, glad you're health is in a better light. Looking forward to seeing that 6.6 drop again...keep up the faith and hard work,!
    I am so happy for you and your health. I was never diabetic so do not know from personal experience the toll it takes, but I have a new co-worker who is diabetic, not an ounce overweight and I see her struggle every day with health issues. I am so happy for you that your weight loss has led to better health and stopping the progression of your diabetes. Great job, keep up all your hard work!!
    Congratulations Seth! You continue to inspire me!
    Great news
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly53
    Seth,
    I am 53. I weigh 220. I have just started this journey. I have had Kaiser insurance in Ohio which is now Health Span. There are a lot of post op requirements to qualify for this surgery, although I am grateful for that. Having said that since I have started this journey, they have discovered that I have severe sleep apnea, pre-diabetic, acid reflux (i already knew that) and restless leg. I had an EKG done 2 years ago and had another done last week. My PCP after reading my results wants me to see a cardiologist. This was going to be one of the requirements anyway.

Bottom line, I'm scared. I have never had surgery. Afraid of not coming out of it. I have already been to see behavior health (another requirement) and clearly understand the changes that need to be made now, and once I have the surgery.

How does one get through this without your anxiety level going through the roof.

Any advice?

Congrats on all of your successes!!
    The biggest thing you can do right now is BREATHE. I know that it seems to be overwhelming amounts of test but you take them one at a time. I was able to get around all the test by being a self pay. Being scared of the unknown is normal. IF you weren't scared to have a major surgery then I would be worried. Make a list of all the things pros, and cons for the procedure. Write down all the things you will gain from it. Things that you will be able to do again. These are the things that motivate. Do not put all your faith in the scale. Godspeed on your journey.
    Wonderful news! Good health after WLS is at the top of the list!
    Quote Originally Posted by SethP
    The biggest thing you can do right now is BREATHE. I know that it seems to be overwhelming amounts of test but you take them one at a time. I was able to get around all the test by being a self pay. Being scared of the unknown is normal. IF you weren't scared to have a major surgery then I would be worried. Make a list of all the things pros, and cons for the procedure. Write down all the things you will gain from it. Things that you will be able to do again. These are the things that motivate. Do not put all your faith in the scale. Godspeed on your journey.
    Thank you for your advice. I am grateful that they are so thorough. It does give me some comfort. I will take it 1 at a time. I am grateful for all the experience on this site, and for people like you that stay on the site and provide us with your experience and insight. It is very helpful for those of us just starting our journey.

Thanks again.
    Terrific news, Seth! You are inspiring.