Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Graciegurl

Sugar, Can I Ever Eat Sweets Again?

Rate this Entry
I have read a lot of posts regarding sweets... To eat or not to eat sweets tis the question. Well, for me the answer is simple. I love sweets, always have and always will. However, with that being said one thing I do know is that I am sugar intolerant and have built up a resistance to sugar aw well.

When ever I would go on a high protein, low carb diet ( there's that 4 letter word again ) detox from sugar and highly processed foods I would feel so much better. I would have more energy, think more clearly, would not have sugar cravings and in general, just feel great all over. Yah, yah, yah... be we all know that diets do not last. I would be doing really well so I always figured that a little sweet treat would be okay. Just a lil bite, right? Uggg, I knew from past experiences that once the little bite slipped past my lips there would be no stopping. One bite turned into 2 and 2 turned into 4 and so on. Immediately I would start to feel ill and get a headache. I would follow up those feelings with emotional quilt. Such a vicious cycle.

You see, I am a sugar-holic. Check out this video.. You think sugar is not a drug??? HA, think again!

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-...n-nicole-avena

My sugar addiction affected my moods, made be gassy, my belly would be bloated and sometimes after eating a high processed sugary meal I would be heading for the john with dumping like symptoms. Not a good thing!

So how am I going to deal with my sweets? Well, being sleeved means that I can only eat small amts of food at any given time. With protein, veggies and fruit being the order of most importance there seems like little room for a sweet treat, right? Wrong!!!!!!

I am learning to have a whole new relationship with food and so I will also learn to have a new relationship with sweets. I am no longer on a diet! When I now use the word diet it will be associated with what I eat. I will be responsible for my choices and when I do indulge in a sweet treat from time to time you can bet I will choose something that is very worth while and have it at the end of a meal cuz by the time I get to the end of meal I have very little room left. I have already learned my lesson in over eating!

As with everything else, all in moderation is the key to success and a very happy me. I know myself. If I could never ever eat a sweet treat again??? I would be a very, very unhappy lil gurlie!

I would be really interested in how other sugar-holics who have been sleeved longer than me ( five wks today ) have dealt with this issue!!!

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Submit "Sugar, Can I Ever Eat Sweets Again?" to Digg Submit "Sugar, Can I Ever Eat Sweets Again?" to del.icio.us Submit "Sugar, Can I Ever Eat Sweets Again?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sugar, Can I Ever Eat Sweets Again?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have always been a slave to sugar. Having apprenticed as a pastry chef didn't help, either. I have found, to my surprise, that sugar hasn't been a big issue or trigger for me post op. I do want it, and allow myself the occasional treat. My go to snack now is dark chocolate (70% cacao) covered sea salted almonds. I get them from target, and allow myself 4-6. A serving is 11 or 12, with 13 carbs, so it's not a big deal.

I have eaten some sugary foods post op, but they don't taste as good as they used to, Nd don't sit well with me.
    I have something sweet now and then ... and I feel good about it. Dessert isn't on the menu most days but if I really feel like I want something sweet then I go ahead and have it. It's not like the old days. I can actually have one cookie and leave it at that. I still don't load the cupboards up with goodies so that when I do have a sweet tooth I have to make something or go out and get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metread
    I have always been a slave to sugar. Having apprenticed as a pastry chef didn't help, either. I have found, to my surprise, that sugar hasn't been a big issue or trigger for me post op. I do want it, and allow myself the occasional treat. My go to snack now is dark chocolate (70% cacao) covered sea salted almonds. I get them from target, and allow myself 4-6. A serving is 11 or 12, with 13 carbs, so it's not a big deal.

I have eaten some sugary foods post op, but they don't taste as good as they used to, Nd don't sit well with me.
    Oh my, apprenticed as a pastry chef would have, I am sure, been the death of me! LOL I am glad to see though that you too have figured out how to allow yourself the occasional treat! I know Trader Joe's have really good dark chocolate too! Haven't tried them yet since I have been sleeved though. I did however have a itty-bity mini Georgia Mud Pie Blizzard and it was more than enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by janetm
    I have something sweet now and then ... and I feel good about it. Dessert isn't on the menu most days but if I really feel like I want something sweet then I go ahead and have it. It's not like the old days. I can actually have one cookie and leave it at that. I still don't load the cupboards up with goodies so that when I do have a sweet tooth I have to make something or go out and get it.
    I don't keep sweets in the house either and I have Grandkids living with me for the moment! Like you, if I am wanting something sweet, I go out and get just one serving!
    I eat whatever I want and have been at goal for 3 months.....of course in moderation.
    I eliminated sweets during my 2 week preop diet and have chosen not to bring them back into my life. I too was addicted to sweets and the more I ate the more I craved them. After a couple of weeks of not having any type of sweets or added sugar I realized how much better I felt and I really wasn't missing that afternoon chocolate fix or that pastry from Panera. I am 6 months post op and yes, I could have sweets if I wanted them but I choose not to have them because I don't want to wake up that addiction that is quietly sleeping right now. I've also decided that my health is more important than satisfying my taste buds and mental hunger so I continue to keep them out of my life.
    I love sweets. I can't imagine not ever having them again in my life. I've honestly found for me it's easier to just have a bite of whatever it is - and then I'm satisfied. I'm done with the internal, constant fighting of "you shouldn't have that". One bite - satisfied and done.

Before sleeve I'd try soooo hard - to avoid the sugary things I was craving - but in the process I'd eat 20 other things I didn't really want or need. Not anymore.

If course it also depends on your sleeve and if it'll tolerate it. I've never thrown up so far - almost 9 months -and I'm thankful for that.

Best Wishes!
    I have a small treat nearly every day without guilt or bad side effects. I work it into my nutritional plan for the day. I exercise 5x per week which helps. I'm 8 pounds from goal and still losing slow and steady. I'm grateful I can tolerate whatever I like in small portions.
    Treats do not taste as good as they used to. I still like my Saunders Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Caramels (I'm lucky to get through one). My husband and children are really into treats, so I steal a bite or two of theirs and I am satisfied or I ask my husband, "If I get XXXX, will you eat the rest?" Unfortunately, that means that while I have been losing weight, he has been gaining from eating my leftovers.....
    I have been sleeved going on 3 years and i never gave up sugar completely but that is because when i do i get terrible migraines (not just the detox phase) but you are right this is something new when it came to sweets. After I developed dumping syndrome last year at the beginning of my pregnancy the doctors said ti was due to carbs and sugar as I suppose most dumping is but after tons of trial and error I noticed my dumping wasnt from sugar and carbs but from chemicals and processed food. But since figuring it out and changing my diet i still eatt sugar actually quite often but its in small amounts and its usually AS A MEAL. I figured out for me that if i consider my "treat" an actual meal since i only eat about 4 bites per meal anyway then I dont over do it. But I also noticed if i eat ANYTHING processed my food obsession rears its ugly head and i literally can't stop till all of that food is gone and then i usually have a small withdraw period. I have learned like you only to eat something I think i really want if its really worth it.
    For me it is a slippery slope. One bite leads to another, and another. If only I could just stick with the one bite....
    Quote Originally Posted by bessie.marshall
    I eat whatever I want and have been at goal for 3 months.....of course in moderation.
    See Bessie, that's what I am talk'n 'bout!!!! Living life for the first time not ruled by food!!! Enjoying what I want, all healthy and in moderation!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by candik
    I eliminated sweets during my 2 week preop diet and have chosen not to bring them back into my life. I too was addicted to sweets and the more I ate the more I craved them. After a couple of weeks of not having any type of sweets or added sugar I realized how much better I felt and I really wasn't missing that afternoon chocolate fix or that pastry from Panera. I am 6 months post op and yes, I could have sweets if I wanted them but I choose not to have them because I don't want to wake up that addiction that is quietly sleeping right now. I've also decided that my health is more important than satisfying my taste buds and mental hunger so I continue to keep them out of my life.

I think it's wonderful that you know that, for you, the sleeping addiction to sugar is best left sleeping! I just could not imagine life without a sweet treat now and then!
    Quote Originally Posted by smile38
    I love sweets. I can't imagine not ever having them again in my life. I've honestly found for me it's easier to just have a bite of whatever it is - and then I'm satisfied. I'm done with the internal, constant fighting of "you shouldn't have that". One bite - satisfied and done.

Before sleeve I'd try soooo hard - to avoid the sugary things I was craving - but in the process I'd eat 20 other things I didn't really want or need. Not anymore.

If course it also depends on your sleeve and if it'll tolerate it. I've never thrown up so far - almost 9 months -and I'm thankful for that.

Best Wishes!
    I sure can relate to life before being sleeved! I now find it amazing the mental changes as I now relate to food. I hope this isn't just some kind of honeymoon period! Knowing that a bite of this or that is not going to send me into a spiral has taken so much pressure off me! Satisfied and done~~~ sounds like a good song to me!!! hahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by bikrchk
    I have a small treat nearly every day without guilt or bad side effects. I work it into my nutritional plan for the day. I exercise 5x per week which helps. I'm 8 pounds from goal and still losing slow and steady. I'm grateful I can tolerate whatever I like in small portions.
    WOW, congrats on being 8lbs away from goal!!!!! I have yet to get into a routine of exercising but it is only a matter of time! Planning the sweets into your total goals for the day is very smart!!!!
    I also eat sweets once in awhile. But I found a lot of good things that are sugar free even candy. But watch out it has a habit of upsetting the bowls
    If I want something sweet, I wait 20 minutes then if I still want it, I eat it. I have to be careful though because I too fear the 1 becomes 2 becomes 20:-)
    You can eat and enjoy anything in moderation and you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE
    I have learned like you only to eat something I think i really want if its really worth it.
    I had to only over eat once.. and OMG... that was enough! Working at a hospital can be a dangerous place for sweets as pts. or their families like to give us nurses and staff treats. Also, there can be tons of food in the break rooms on every floor especially during holidays or some other reasons to celebrate. (We nurses do not need much of a reason for pot-lucks). Where before I would obsess about
    the sweets or the food I now can have a piece of chocolate and leave it at that! As for the food in the break rooms??? I look at it and both my stomach and brain say, Uggg.... not interested! I am amazed by my attitude towards food now...
    Quote Originally Posted by sociologist
    If I want something sweet, I wait 20 minutes then if I still want it, I eat it. I have to be careful though because I too fear the 1 becomes 2 becomes 20:-)
    Yikes, that is a scary thought! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by 12NVDiva
    You can eat and enjoy anything in moderation and you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
    Guilt like stress is a killer! Moderation is key!