Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

toutdesuite

5 days Post Op

Rate this Entry
My surgery was on the morning of 3/3/14 and it's already the 5th day out.

I've had a remarkably easy recovery and attribute it to God and all the prayers of friends and family that were lifted up to Him before, during, and after my surgery.

I woke up from surgery in minor pain -- on a scale of 1 to 10 it was about a 5. I could definitely feel something was cut inside me -- my stomach. It seemed like an eternity but was probably only 5 minutes before I was handed a morphine pump. I was allow a pump of morphine every 10 minutes and after several pumps my pain level was reduced to a 1 and never increased again. I used the pump a few more times that day/night -- once just to get to sleep because of minor discomfort. I used it once the following day for nausea and then they took it away. My discomfort level was around a 1 or 2 from about one hour post op until day three -- mainly from nausea. From that point on, I just felt tenderness in the incision sites.

I did struggle with nausea for about 2.5 days. I was told it was common with the surgery, plus I had a hiatal hernia repair which didn't help the nausea issue. I did have dry heaves several times during those first 2.5 days of nausea, but there was nothing in my stomach so I never vomited. Yay!
My surgeon also repaired a hernia in my belly button which I didn't know I had. I had a wonderful surgeon. I can't believe he repaired my belly button hernia at no extra charge. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

During my stay at the hospital, a nurse told me that the two-week liquid pre-op diet makes it much easier on patients after surgery. I'm so thankful my surgeon required it!

Each day I'm feeling better and better. I was released from the hospital about noon on 3/5. I made my post-op appointments today. I'm looking forward to the healthier future!

Submit "5 days Post Op" to Digg Submit "5 days Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "5 days Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "5 days Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm glad it went well.
    So glad you're feeling better! This is day two for me. My biggest complaint is my throat.
    I was sleeved the day after you and am following just about the same trajectory. Pain when I first got out, but much better after the meds.

I only had one day of hospital stay, but I didn't have two hernias to deal with!

I'll hope for a continuously good recovery for you.
    I was sleeved the same day!!! Came home from hospital yesterday and am still in a bit of pain but have had no nausia or complications.
    My trouble now is getting in fluids. I really can't stand the optifast post op so am trying to get fluids mixed with protein powed down throughout the day but...wow it's hard! I feel like I'm going to burst after half a cup of fluid.
    How are the rest of you going with that? Any handy hints you've come across??
    I'm only able to get in about 5 cups of fluid a day. I found yesterday it was easier to get in warm broth -- veggie (I was craving it!) than just plain water. Maybe because it was more enjoyable.
    Great to hear that things went well. Dr. Rosenthal is a great surgeon I also had a hiatal hernia removed. It will be 4 months tomorrow since I had surgery and I've lost 56lbs and feeling great! Please keep me updated on your progress.