Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

amayzme

what if this doesn't work?

Rate this Entry
I am 10 days away from being sleeved. full of mixed emotions from excited...hopeful .... worried.
today its worried...what if it doesn't work? What if i can't change these life long bad habits? i guzzle my drinks..i cut big bites..i don't chew very well..i eat mindlessly. i have been trying,these last few weeks, to change my ways but always fall back to habit. One minute i know I'm ready for this the next moment. i don't think i even deserve the chance. sigh...please i need encouragement.

Submit "what if this doesn't work?" to Digg Submit "what if this doesn't work?" to del.icio.us Submit "what if this doesn't work?" to StumbleUpon Submit "what if this doesn't work?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It would be heartless to simply say everything is going to be fine because this operation does not remove your obligation to play your part in your success.
    You will succeed IF - you get sufficient protein, drink 2 litres of water/fluid daily AND take on regular weight bearing/challenging work outs. Weight resistant exercise will keep your lean muscle and give you the machine to burn what calories you eat from here onwards.
    If you're like me, I'm still an overeaters at heart, and always will be, but this op has given me the tools to bring about the change I yearned for.
    I stay away from baked goods and bikkies. Simply too easy to eat and I don't feel full like a proper protein/vege meal.
    This operation has been my life saver and I will succeed.
    Keep your eye on the rules and you will too.
    All the very best. Will be thinking of you and wish you very success.
    I agree with Truebody, but the one thing I'd like to add is that this surgery will help you NOT guzzle your drink, try to eat too bit a bite or not chew your food well. Sure, you WILL do it sub-consciously, not realizing what you are doing. But, from what I've seen of most of the affects of doing that, you will learn not to do that and relearn the proper post surgery eating habits. When you eat too big of a bite or not chew it well, your tummy will let you know it. You will have trouble swallowing it and may get sick and throw up. Worse than that, you might actually get it down to the new tummy and have to suffer through some digestive "challenges" while it passes through your system. I've been lucky, I am actually able to drink pretty normally since about the second month. I try to eat smaller bites (especially of proteins like meat), but with other things, I can eat a relatively normal bite.

Just go into this knowing what you want the outcome to be and remember to do your best to follow the "rules" of eating. If/when you forgot, your sleeve will remind you! Best of luck and much success!!!!
    Everyone has moments of doubt, especially if, like me, you've tried so many diets in the past and lost nothing except more self-esteem. And frankly, the sleeve is not 100% guaranteed skinny magic. It is just a tool. One hell of a powerful tool, yes, but you still have to make the important changes yourself.

I've been lucky. I've had no complications, my sleeve tolerates everything I've tried, I haven't cut out carbs completely (although I do severely limit them) and I've lost over 60 pounds in not quite three months. But as relatively easy as it's been, it's the hardest easy I've ever experienced. You have to change not just what you eat, but how you think about what you eat. Even though I don't get cravings the way I used to, I do miss certain foods...and I miss not having to think about food. I really miss when food was fun, when I could go out with friends and family and try that new chinese buffet or that cupcake place that we saw on TV. I miss being able to eat and drink at the same time, and I miss being able to swallow pills.

What I DON'T miss is 60 pounds! I don't miss my back, knees and ankles aching if I have to walk more than 15 lousy minutes. I don't miss the humiliation of trying to buy new clothes and having nothing in my size...or worse, having to buy 'fat lady fashions' designed by skinny vindictive a******s who think all fat women are four feet tall and like shirts with high waists and no sleeves so every possible inch of skin that isn't covered by their godawful eyesore outfit is put on full jubbly display. I don't miss being the fattest person in the room at every social gathering. I certainly don't miss seeing "At least I'm not that fat," in every other fat person's eyes. Most of all, I don't miss pretending I don't mind standing there because I know I can't ride a roller coaster or a horse or even sit on certain chairs without worrying about breaking them.

Yes, this is a serious surgery and yes, it's normal to get cold feet. This change is hard, both physically and emotionally, but if you work, it will work. Take a moment to really, unflinchingly think about everything fat has taken away from you. The surgery will not give all that back to you, but it will help you take it back for yourself.
    Very well said Purplhouse, I must agree. think we sometimes have thoughts of," Is this going to fail too?" because we have had so many other diet failures. Its perfectly normal to have those thoughts and all the other ones that you have had but, this time it will be different because, If I must say so myself, this has been the best tool, I've had to work with. It will help with the gulping and the smaller bites,(trust me it will slow you down) you just have to remember I'm the same person just changing the way I eat/drink. I'm doing this for me and my better health.
    You are going to do great!! You WILL BE successful!! and you will love the fact that you made the decision to add more quality to your life.