Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ladyinwaiting

Protein - lets be honest...

Rate this Entry
I am not getting all my protein in every day. Is anyone else out there doing or not doing the same? I drink a protein shake once or twice a week. Maybe three ....

Submit "Protein - lets be honest..." to Digg Submit "Protein - lets be honest..." to del.icio.us Submit "Protein - lets be honest..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Protein - lets be honest..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have you talked with your nut or surgeon? How much protein are you getting in from food? Lack of protein can cause muscle wasting, severe hair loss and other things.
    I'm having a hard time with protein too. I try to eat high protein foods but I don't know what else to do.
    I am English and was sleeved in the UK. I have lost over 100lbs since March and am feeling very healthy with absolutely no complications. I don't know why everyone on this site seems so obsessed with protein! Apart from the 2 days post surgery I have never touched a protein shake. I have never counted carbs or protein and was never told to. I eat a small bowl of muesli or cereal for breakfast and then for lunch and dinner I focus on the protein element of my meal but still have a few carbs and veggies. And that's it - no obsessive counting. I try to stick to a healthy diet but I do have chocolate and chips and an odd glass of wine here and there. The whole point of the sleeve, as far as I'm aware, is too make you eat smaller portions and enable you to eat fewer calories which in turn makes you lose weight so you can move/exercise more. Sleeve or no sleeve - the ONLY way to not only lose weight, bit more importantly keep it off, is too eat less calories and move more! So sod the obsessive protein/carb counting !!
    Oh and I eat about 1500 calories a day on average! Not the crazy 600 - 800 I keep reading about people doing months after surgery! It's just not sustainable!
    I really am tired of protein drinks too. My doctor told me don't go over 1,000 calories. But Sparker you seem to be doing excellent in what you're doing and the weight is falling off yayyyyy. Me I have to count my calories and carbs and protein
    Sparkler makes a good point. I'm eating proteins but, I quit counting them long time ago. Veggies are still very important to a well balanced, healthy meal! My husband made a delicious meal tonight in the wok - sautéed vegetables with chicken and shrimp. I ate protein and absolutely loved the broccoli and rainbow carrots.
    I think we'll beat ourselves up if we obsess too much over grams of protein. But, if it works for you, then do what works.
    I have a hard time getting my protein in as well.. Sparker, I know the reason most of us here in the US think so much about it is probably because our health care provider informed us of the importance. I know my surgeon and nutritionist stressed stressed it.... it builds muscle, and if you don't get enough you could experience severe hair loss. But as for me, I try to get as much as possible, but I think getting my fluids ie. water is even more important.
    Sunny girl, how much protein does your doc say you need post op?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparker78
    I am English and was sleeved in the UK. I have lost over 100lbs since March and am feeling very healthy with absolutely no complications. I don't know why everyone on this site seems so obsessed with protein! Apart from the 2 days post surgery I have never touched a protein shake. I have never counted carbs or protein and was never told to. I eat a small bowl of muesli or cereal for breakfast and then for lunch and dinner I focus on the protein element of my meal but still have a few carbs and veggies. And that's it - no obsessive counting. I try to stick to a healthy diet but I do have chocolate and chips and an odd glass of wine here and there. The whole point of the sleeve, as far as I'm aware, is too make you eat smaller portions and enable you to eat fewer calories which in turn makes you lose weight so you can move/exercise more. Sleeve or no sleeve - the ONLY way to not only lose weight, bit more importantly keep it off, is too eat less calories and move more! So sod the obsessive protein/carb counting !!
    Finally, someone who thinks like me! I wasn't eating a 100 grams of protein before and my hair wasn't falling out and my muscles weren't atrophying. I just don't get the protein obsession.
    And thanks to all of you who were honest about your protein, or lack of protein, intake. I find that I only drink it occasionally and otherwise, watch what I eat, don't snack and keep up on the water.
    I have a very hard time getting in my protein also. My NUT said between 70 - 90 grams a day. I can not make myself drink 2 shakes a day like they suggest.
    I've had no hair loss either - and due to my kettle bell and body pump my muscles are looking good - diet today consisted of cereal for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch and a small bowl of whole wheat pasta with peppers and mushrooms and smoked sausage for dinner. Oh and half a bag of crisps and half a banana as snacks! I've done 1.5 hrs at the gym - I haven't got a clue how much protein, carbs or calories I've consumed but I know it's a hell of a lot less than it was 8 months ago and burning some fat at the gym helps. Please don't fret about protein, just try to eat healthier and exercise!