Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Lisa Clay

My problem was NAUSEA, nausea and more nausea

Rate this Entry
My surgery was scheduled for November 15, 2013. I arrived on the 14th and when it was my turn to go into the office to make sure my account was paid up and everything was in order, the doctor told me he had some very good news and some even better new for me. He explained that I could have my surgery that VERY day if I chose to. At first I was afraid they hadn't met their quota for the day and then I thought "Hey, might as well go through with it now to get the ball rolling and the sooner I will be done." So I went a day earlier and so did the other four ladies who arrived with me. We were all in shock, and some became instantly more nervous. We got our IVs started by a wonderful petite nurse who stuck me only once before she obtained the necessary blood work and began my IV line. This in itself was a rare occurrence for me. I then changed into my gown and had my IV saline solution hung and sat and waited with the others for our turn under the knife. I would be first and I must say I was not nervous at all until I climbed up on the operating table and thought there was a slim chance something may go wrong. I thought, what if I was that 0.04 % that doesn't come out OK The anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself and immediately put some medicine into my IV line and that was all she wrote. The next thing I remember was being led up a narrow stairwell and placed into a recovery bed. I didn't have physical pain but the nausea I experienced made up for that for sure. I have never been so nauseous in my life. I didn't think it was possible to be constantly nauseous but oh YES it is very possible. I received my scheduled dose of ondansetron (Zofran) which is a medicine that was originally given to patients to treat nausea from chemotherapy. It seemed to work for very short periods of time. Once I was recovered enough immediately after surgery two other ladies and I then went to another recovery clinic in the same shopping plaza where we were going to spend the night. We had a male nurse who did everything he could to help us except call the doctor which one of my fellow patients kept insisting he do. It was like a zoo in that small room with each of us crying, yelling or retching depending on what the given situation was. Our nurse was upstairs doing God knows what for long periods of time and then suddenly we would hear his loud footsteps and he would reappear. His English was horrible but thankfully one of the ladies spoke fluent Spanish and she graciously helped us get our points across. I was spitting up blood and was told that was normal and that all the nausea I was experiencing was normal too. Boy, it sure didn't feel normal. The next day, we all got picked up between 7-8 am to go back to Hotel Ticuan. I brought my best friend with me and was never so glad to see her in my life. I didn't want to tell her how horrible my night had been because I didn't want to hear any "I told you so'.kl". As the days went on I still had that awful feeling of nausea like I was on the verge of vomiting at all times. Sometimes I did throw up and other times I just dry heaved. We had the option of going back to Jerusalem Hospital for IV fluids or for $30 we could have the service in our room. I chose to have a nurse come to my room for my IV hydration, best choice for me as I couldn't imagine going in the van on those bumpy streets all the way back to the clinic. I had several visitors on behalf of Jerusalem Hospital- one was a masseuse who provided a 20 minute free back massage. That was wonderful and much needed. The other was a guy with a camera who wanted me to do a short video recommending JH to others. My hair was a mess and I was still in my pajamas so I know they won't be using my video, laughing out loud. But I got a Wal-Mart gift card just for being a good sport. Then another gentleman comes to your room and offers to sell you extra pain meds, sleeping pills, suture removal kits, antacids, extra antibiotics, wound care antiseptic spray, B12 injections, x-rays of your leak test and finally a fast pass that helps you get out of Mexico much quicker than had you not had it. There were 2 other patients with my friend and I in the medical van and we all were extremely thankful for the fast pass out of MX. Overall the facility was spotless and I mean truly, I even looked for dust but couldn't find any. The equipment was not brand new but it is functional and clean and to me that was what was important. I took everything on the recommended list and was happy I did (those Gas-X thin strips) work wonders. If it were not for my constant nausea and retching I would have given the entire experience and A- but instead I have to rate it a B. It wasn't their fault I was extremely nauseous, and they did the best they could to alleviate it. Just be prepared when you go because you never know how your body will react. Good luck to you. By the way, I'm 7 days postop and down 16 pounds. You can't beat that with a stick!

Submit "My problem was NAUSEA, nausea and more nausea" to Digg Submit "My problem was NAUSEA, nausea and more nausea" to del.icio.us Submit "My problem was NAUSEA, nausea and more nausea" to StumbleUpon Submit "My problem was NAUSEA, nausea and more nausea" to Google

Comments

Happy to hear you are doing better. Your experience at the clinic sounds very different from mine. I only had to pay $10 extra for the x-ray, all other was included. That was 18 mo. ago. \Yes the place was very sterile, nurse doing needles was amazing and thankfully I did not have nausea. Best to you from here on.
    Congratulations!
    Oh my! I was both gasping in shock-led up a STAIRWELL immediately after surgery??? And laughing out loud-the fast pass out of Mexico! LOL Glad you are ok now.
    OMG - that sounds like a frightening experience. I am so sorry to hear of this. I am one of those that was so grateful to have insurance that covered this surgery, but have heard of many that don't that traveled to mexico for the surgery and had a good experience. I had one experience when I was on a cruise where I had to find some eye drops in Cozumel for an eye infection I developed on one of the stops while swimming while on a cruise years ago - it was a nightmare for so many reasons. Glad it is over for you & hope your nausea goes away.
    So, you were in a room full of screaming and crying women? Daaaang!!!!

I know it is all worth it right now since you are doing so great. But would you go back to the same place again?

I hope that Dr. Alvarez experience is not as frightening.

I could just picture me up in a room with 5 screaming people trying to communicate with a nurse that doesn't speak English....

Thank you so much for putting the truth out there.
    Ok so I had the extreme nausea too! I was in the states though and there was nothing they could do for me except give me the same medication. I think it was the anastethia that did it.
    Either way it passed and I feel like a million bucks as well!!!!

Congrats on the weight loss that's awesome
    Thank you for sharing your experience, the good and bad. I get my surgery Dec. 4th there. By reading all of the personal experiences there I am learning what I need to bring to MX and how much extra cash!

Sorry u were so nauseated that's awful. I'm already prepared for that because my last surgery I had just under 4 months ago for my rotator cuff I was VERY nauseated from the anesthesia. I am bringing my extra nausea patches for behind my ear because of it. I've noticed the more surgeries I've had the worst my experience with anesthesia becomes.

Best of luck to u on the losers side!!! Congrats on surgery!
    Thank you for posting this. I go to dr almanza January 16! I can't wait!
    Im glad ur feelin better, congrats on the wl
    That sounds horrific! I'm glad things worked out for you in the end, but I'm also glad I could get my surgery 5 minutes from home. This is the first negative post I've read about surgery in Mexico, so I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Happy losing!