Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

*Amy*

Allergic Reaction!

Rate this Entry
Have any of you ever suffered an allergic reaction to vitamins... I will be 3 weeks out on Monday and I was told to start my vitamins starting 2nd week well I wasn't able to purchase all vitamins till Wed. of this week. I took them yesterday and as the evening progressed I started to become itchy... not thinking much of it ... Up un-till this morning when my eye's and ears and parts of my face were swollen and feet and elbows. Parts of my neck as of this morning got blotchy... I went to the doctor and they told me to take Benadryl. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and/or could of been the amount I am suppose to take at daily basis.

Submit "Allergic Reaction!" to Digg Submit "Allergic Reaction!" to del.icio.us Submit "Allergic Reaction!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Allergic Reaction!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh no! What brand are you taking? I ask because my daughter is allergic to some of the ingredients in Flintstones and similar popular brands. We had to buy her chewables at Trader Joe's or other health food stores, an all natural, organic, no preservatives vitamin. When she got older, and able to swallow pills, it never became a problem again.
    Did doc make a recommendation about a new vitamin?
    I bought the vitamins I was taking at Whole foods.... Under my understanding they are all "natural" gluteen free etc etc type vitamins!!
    Yep, I take vit d, chewable calcium, chewable mens daily, biotin and had to stop taking them, because they were giving me bad headaches.
    I never heard of allergic reactions to vitamins. What vitamins can you take now?
    Quote Originally Posted by *Amy*
    I bought the vitamins I was taking at Whole foods.... Under my understanding they are all "natural" gluteen free etc etc type vitamins!!
    Oh dear. Did the doc make a suggestion about something new?
    Read the "other" ingredients on the back. I am allergic to lots of chemicals so its been difficult to find a chewable that works. Also find out where your vitamin is manufactured, some countries have very lax rules on contaminates. I would also contact the company as the may have info that will help you to determine what ingredient may have caused it. Good luck and let us know how things are going. Vitamins are so important for wls patients.
    Must be an allergy to one of the binders or fillers in the vitamins. Best to seek out a vitamin that does not have binders or fillers in them (which most tablets do.)

I take Andrew Lessman's Essential One, all his vitamins are in a capsule or gelcap form. They are not cheap, but I keep them down which is important. No binders or fillers, and made in the USA in a plant completely run on solar energy. I also take his Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails for the biotin and his CoQ10 for my heart.

Best wishes to you!
    Amy that's terrible! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. What a mess. I hope you're feeling better and don't have any other problems. Keep us posted!
    I had a horrible allergic reaction on my stomach, I assumed it was from the shots I had to give myself after surgery, but really have no clue. (It didn't start till I was done with the shots.) It lasted 2 weeks. I too was told to take benadryl, it didn't help at all. I bought "anti itch" cream, that didn't do anything either.
    Thank you all for your comments and help... sorry some of you have had similar issues but I thank you as you comfort me in knowing I am not alone... As the day and night progressed the blotches started to spread all over my body... I got worried because I was taking Bendryl and I felt nothing was working...so I called my insurance RN hotline to find out what was the best next step. They suggested I seek urgent care... so I went to the E.R. thinking they would be best place to go since it was late in the evening and I thought all Urgent care facilities would be closed.. I get there and it was like death sentence in the waiting room and when I spoke to the indivudals that great you.... and asked them the wait.. she responded very long... I told her that my allergic reaction was getting worst by the hour and so I needed an urgent intervention... she smiled and nodded and said please take a seat... So, I asked where was the nearest urgent care... she said they close at 8 pm so you can try to make it.... I sure did ... thankfully was seen fast and was given a shot of bendryl and anti-inflamatory steroid and medication I need to take for the next 5 days. I FEEL MUCH BETTER!!!!! The health care system in the U.S. disappoints me... If it was any later and an urgent care facility would of not been open I would of been better off staying home and calling 911 when things got to worst... I am glad I acted fast...