Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

LetsDoThis

Traveling and dropping the pounds!!

Rate this Entry
So it's been over a week.. Maybe 1.5 to 2 weeks that I've been on. I'm feeling like it's confession..lol

At last minute my daughter and I drove to Georgia and then South Carolina for lacrosse. My daughter plays, and isn't to shabby..lol well I was worried about what I could eat while traveling. I now really can tell how much my taste in food has changed. I know the reason behind it is going for the time I did without sugars.. Or really minimizing them is a huge factor. Once the sugars are flushed out of your body, you taste food in a whole new way.

I did eat somethings that some people would say "what did you do that for?" My response.. Because I can. I am a firm believer of this.. If someone says you can't have something, you'll only want it more. So during my 5 weeks post op.. I did abide by not eating certain things because of causing leaks.. Since then.. If I feel I want something.. I have it.

Now I'm not going out and scarfing candy bars, ice cream and some other things.. But while traveling.. We stopped at Chik-Fil-A. I ordered from the kids menu the chicken bite things and a shake.. From the time we stopped for food until our destination in Georgia it was about 4-4.5 hours.. I ate 1 chicken nugget and drank maybe 1" (yes inch) from my shake.. A few days later we went to this place called CookOut. Their hamburgers are burgers and they have healthier choices.. But I ordered a burger.. In 2.5 hours I ate 2 bites.. Also had one French fry, a hush puppy and even though I did order a shake.. I drank less of this one because it was so thick.. My brain forgot to fire and remind my mouth about not drinking from straws let alone something so thick.. Last Tuesday on our way home.. I had my daughter read me what was on the chik-fil-a menu as we drove so I could decide ahead of time.. This is when she informed me that on the kids menu.. They have grilled chicken nuggets bites. So that's what I ordered but with a bottled water this time. I managed to eat 2 nuggets in 6.5 hours.

Since being home I've dropped another 2.5 pounds. I now feel less stressed about traveling.. Knowing that November is going to be beyond crazy busy. I have not had Starbucks since before the surgery..I don't have a problem with that.. But I am trying to think and figure out if I want to even try hot chocolate.. Just so I have a warm substance to drink while in Maryland for the next lacrosse event. All I can think is I will end up having dumping syndrome with the cocoa.. If you haven't dealt with it, hope you don't have to. I think I know my limit to push where I won't get it to where I want to curl up in a ball and die. Not that I'm trying to push it.. Twice now I accidentally didn't pay attention to what/how much I ate of frozen yogurt it hit me so quickly that it won't be forgotten.

This weekend I have a wedding to attend and photograph for one of my closest friends.. Maybe I can get another couple pounds off before Friday..

Oh and even though Halloween is right around the corner, I know this year won't be like others.. So I'm mentally skipping over it..lol

Submit "Traveling and dropping the pounds!!" to Digg Submit "Traveling and dropping the pounds!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Traveling and dropping the pounds!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Traveling and dropping the pounds!!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like you are making the traveling work with your sleeve! Can you try hot herbal tea instead of the cocoa? Or I do have some sugar-free hot cocoa that is not too bad, you might give that a taste test. Its Swiss Miss brand.

Best wishes, sounds like you are doing awesome!!
    Thanks!!

I didn't even think about Swiss Miss. I'll have to give that a try before hand. I like hot teas.. But it would probably cost more to do the tea than cocoa.. If it were just for a car ride the tea would work, but being out for hours.. I'm gonna have to go the cheaper route, because with either drink I'll probably end up dumping out a good bit of it. I have no idea how long my drink will even be able to stay warm..lol
    Warm vanilla soy milk is very good at Starbucks and a good source of protein.
    tea bags and a thermos full of hot water, you can reuse your bag if you have dump out the tea because it gets cold, or if you have a thermos full of hot water, you can just keep warming it up. or try thermos full of hot water and folgers decaff singles.
    I have had dumping syndrome due to my gall bladder removal 24 years ago. It's awful. I have tried the Starbucks hot cocoa post-sleeve. I have found that the kid's 8 oz fat free is ok for me. Larger ones give me dumping syndrome. Ask them too make it hot or they'll make it lukewarm.
    I use flavored extracts to add flavor and I also use the torini coffee syrups (sugar free) I think that is how it's spelled. So you could do sugar free hot cocoa you can add some chocolate sugar free syrup or extracts. Good luck!!!
    I get a venti skinny vanilla latte everyday from Starbucks. 15g of protein. 160 cal. Ask for it extra hot, then you can drink it over 1 to 2 hours. Also in a pinch they have fruit cups and oatmeal that are good for you....just avoid the display case with the goodies (at least they put the calorie count now so I'm not as tempted)
    It sounds like ur doin good with the traveling, good luck 2 u and ur daughters team!
    I have a ton of "Hydro flasks" and they keep stuff hot for 12hrs and cold for 24hrs. They are awesome! I plan to use them at work to keep my tea hot (since I sit for 12hrs w/minimal breaks all day). They are a bit spendy for thermos', but finding them on sale and the way they work are SO worth it! Congrats and figuring out traveling - I have to with my kids soccer & track meets, but if I plan I figure I can make it work!!
    Chickfila is always one of my favorties (before surgery it was too.) I get the 6 piece grilled nugget by itself. No drink or side. And dip it in some awesome honey mustard. It usually takes me 1 hour to finish the 6 piece. I also like to go to Wendy's and get the grilled chicken wrap kids meal. I just give my daughter the side and drink and buy her a 99 cent nugget. Then I just have the wrap for me. I pinch off at least half of the wrap. Very good and satisfying.
    Thank you everyone!!

I am definitely going to look into a "hydro flask" that sounds like it would be a must have!!

I am super scared of having dealing with dumping syndrome, especially while traveling. As much as I loved Starbucks in the past, I've avoided it like the plague since September. I just can't get in the swing of things to try any hot drinks right now.. It's been in the 80's here..ugh

I just received my daughter's schedule for her tournament next weekend.. Yeah, no bueno... We are going to have a couple of very early mornings.. Positive though, we'll be done early too..lol