Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

AmyR

Change the way you think and the rest will fall into place

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by AmyR View Post
I have read a lot of posts that comment on drinking sodas and eating foods they shouldn't and then venting about lack of loss.

I have had an eating disorder for over 20 years. In high school I was bulimic to stay a size 8 and be popular. Later I was raped and went into compulsive over eating and binging. I did the binging and COE as a coping mechanism and later realized I was gaining weight and continued to COE as a way to repulse the opposite sex! As time went on I gained close to 200 pounds and became a food addict. I love food, I love to eat, the smell, the taste and most of all I love my Coke and Dr. Pepper. I don't like diet drinks so it was always full calories/sugar all day long. I was drinking more than 176 oz of soda EVERY single day...with light ice, so I could get the most soda in the cup.

This past year 2010-2011 I did so many diets with very little success. I wouldn't lose quick enough and would give up. I did different diet drugs, HCG, high protein, low carb, low fat, Quick Weight Loss Center, Weight Watchers, etc...you name it, I did it. I knew things had to change. I had been married for almost 10 years, I wasn't active with my kids and husband and I was just miserable with my self. I haven't had medical insurance since 2006 because I was denied benefits due to being morbidly obese. I told my husband in late August 2011 I wanted lap band...it was a challenge to convince him of that but he agreed...then upon further research I realized lap band was not appropriate for a food addict. The transition from lap band to VGS was very difficult for him to agree to, but he did. I promised him I would make healthy choices after the surgery and he didn't really believe me since I had said that so many times before. But paying over $12,000 cash I didn't want to screw it up.

I KNEW I had to make a mental change for the surgery to be 100% successful. I promised myself and my family that I would not fail this time. My doctor told me that I will never again have a carbonated beverage, soda, beer, etc. That I should eat protein first, veggies second, fruit third and carbs last. I do my very best to follow those instructions daily. I still have trouble getting in all of the recommended water and protein....but I work hard on my mental focus towards my goal and promise to myself and family.

I AM NOT PREACHING TO ANYONE. I am only 3 months out and still have a lot of hard days. I have conversations with myself every time I "think" I want a sip of something fizzy. I have to tell myself that "thing" whatever I want doesn't do my body any good and offers nothing healthy. That "thing" made me fat and miserable after I consumed it. I am only 3 months out and can not change my eating disorder over night and still have a long road to go, but I am doing it day by day and the results are worth not eating or drinking that "thing" I also tell myself "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and it is right!

I wish each and every one of you a Happy New Year!!!

Submit "Change the way you think and the rest will fall into place" to Digg Submit "Change the way you think and the rest will fall into place" to del.icio.us Submit "Change the way you think and the rest will fall into place" to StumbleUpon Submit "Change the way you think and the rest will fall into place" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I didn't know for sure wether you had to give up pop and carbonated drinks for good. I'm scheduled Wednesday for the sugery, so it's now or never. If I have to give up my beloved Diet Coke with lime, I will remind myself how much money I will be saving buy not buying it anymore and what wonders water will do for my body, health and skin.
    You are so AWWsome!!!!! And you don't realize it yet, reading this this has pushed a button for me, I'm so miserable the more I think about getting the surgery the more I want to eat one last meal, this thing is just a mental habit, that no matter what surjery you get you have to change your mental habit, but I'm going to change, I need to change and I want to chafed, I have to change I refuse to let food take over my life anymore ,because I'm Worthy!!! You are so worthy I want you to stay strong and I will do the same. Happy New Year
    This head hunger interests me because I think its all our main problems...obviously we have some issues if we are all so overweight we are turning to weight loss surgery, food is a drug for me, one which I am addicted to...I realize the sleeve is not a fix but a tool to help me manage my addiction.....food is an addiction we must live with, unlike alcohol or drugs...
    Whoa, you've been through a lot of difficult challenges, to bad there is pressure in the world that feels like you have to be thin to be a valuable person (ridiculous, I know). You sound focused enough to make your dream happen. Keep on keeping on.
    You've already got a lot of things figured out, you'll do great and reach all your goals. Baby steps.
    I applaud you and hope I can be as strong as you too!
    You absolutely will be. I have learned so much about myself over this last 11 months, and it's because of my sleeve. Please keep me posted!
    I am so glad to hear you say no soda some sleevers say thay have a taste now and then but I believe for me to succed I will not even take that 1st taste because I have been a soda pop addict and I believe it is alot why I am obese I have been off of soda for 2 months now and as I say will not take that dreaded 1st swallow I hope forever.
    Sometimes the only way to beat an addiction truly is complete abstinence. Sometimes, or now and then, just doesn't work. You're lucky, you recognize it as an addiction. You will overcome.
    Your post is inspiring. I too am a food addict. I eat for comfort, food controls my life. Your post helps me have the willpower to overcome this addiction. Congrats & good luck!