Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ji_ll_ian

Sigh...why am I sabotaging myself?

Rate this Entry
I need someone to come slap me in the head. I have been trying to analyze my behavior this week and I just don't know what the heck is wrong with me. I met with my surgeon July 1st. He gave me 16 lbs to lose before my psych eval and pre-op tests and 21 lbs to lose before my surgery is scheduled. I had already been doing water aerobics every night and eating well, so I just kept doing that. 15 days later, I was down 15.2 lbs. No starving, no crash dieting, just regular old exercise and good eating. So, with .8 lbs to go before my psych eval and pre-op tests, what do I do? I get sick. Since I am sick, I skip the gym all week. And, I ate half of a medium pizza. Dipped in ranch. And last night I was at Costco and I got a chicken bake. And a churro. With a diet lemonade. As if the 200 cal I saved in soda made up for the almost 1100 calories I ate for dinner.

I have been trying to figure out what I am doing. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just fear of the change that this will be in my life? A fear of letting food go? A fear that for once in my life I might actually be happy and healthy and have no more excuses to hide from the world? Yes, yes, I know... just get back on the wagon. And I will. But I want to know WHY I am doing this. Anyone have input?

Submit "Sigh...why am I sabotaging myself?" to Digg Submit "Sigh...why am I sabotaging myself?" to del.icio.us Submit "Sigh...why am I sabotaging myself?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sigh...why am I sabotaging myself?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You get caught in the cycle like the rest of us. You feel crummy and don't work out so you "punish" yourself and "reward" yourself with food at the same time. Then you feel bad for doing that and then you eat because of stress. I have done the same thing for years. I would get down to 302lbs and be stuck their for a week so I would give up. I looked at it as I wasn't failing, I chose to give up. It is all in your head and you need to find a way to combat the sabotage anyway you can until you get to surgery. It will help you do what you are having trouble with and maybe give you enough time to learn new, healthy habits. Just don't give in, you are so close!! You can do it.
    I have heard that its not what you eat but what's eating you, We get stuck in a vicious cycle ....eat, feel bad about it, so soothe with more food. Food was my drug of choice. I would overdose on it. Since my surgery and counseling, I have become more mindful of what I am eating and more importantly why. The fact that you are aware of what you are doing to yourself is a plus. Good Luck and God Bless...Mem
    Are you addicted to food? What was your mood like when you went after those no no food items? Losing 15 lbs in 15 days is freaking awesome!! I swear we have a wire misfire when we do good for a certain amount of time and then "BAM" we lose control for a day, gain the weight, then we start all over again. I call that yo yo dieting and I am a pro at that. I think you was hungry or your body craved for those items. Also I think that since your brain knows you are so close to surgery and knowing it is a lifestyle change forever you just splurged a little. Good luck with everything.
    I did the same thing before my surgery. I ate what I could because I knew I couldn't eat the foods that I loved. I did go to the gym 4-5 days a week before surgery and two weeks before ate really good. I wanted to condition my body for surgery.

The surgery went well. Best thing I ever did was the gastric sleeve. It was my second surgery. I had the lap band and hated it.

I followed the diet after surgery to a tee. Went back to the gym. Did ab work after 6 months. I lost 68lbs so far and now I eat whatever I want as long as I work out. Your body knows when to stop eating. It hurts if you over eat and you feel like shit.

Good luck with your surgery it's the best!!!
    What you did is not unique, so GET OVER IT. That was yesterday and it's over. Now, just go back to doing what you were doing & forget about it. Slips happen, it's pointless to go on punishing ourselves. What are the reasons? Who cares, really. I know all the reasons I overate & that knowledge did nothing to stop me. So, move on and as the British say, Stay Calm and Carry On. Hugs, Roberta
    You may be trying to compensate for the fear of the unknown the surgery will bring. I think there is a worry by those of us newly sleeved or about to be sleeved that food will never be the same. You maybe subconsciously be forcing yourself to be the one that doesn't have to make the decision about your surgery. If you don't meet the weight loss requirements, then I guess the doctor won't let me have it and I don't have to make that choice - you might be saying to your self. Like Namaste said, it "That was yesterday". This doesn't need to be the end of anything. Get back on the right track and try to good to yourself.
    I agree with many of the above sentiments. Altbough there is one glaring omission. You recognized it. I learned from my psych that recognition is the toughest part. Now you need to learn to recognize before it happens. Forgive and move on right away. I have the exact same problem
    I ridiculously gained 10 lbs in the 5 months leading up to surgery. then in the pre-op diet I lost 10 lbs. I think I was stress eating like crazy. I am 2 months out and doing great. I have lost 54 lbs and have not eaten for stress. It is a struggle to redirect my anxiety to other activities. I went through about a month of feeling anxious and stressed and not knowing what to do with that emotions. But I made it through and I feel stronger. The sleeve is a tool that I have to work on but it is such a good tool. Best decision ever. Best of luck to you! You can do it!
    Same here, I'm eating everything lately. I think it's because my brain is thinking I will never eat again which of course is not the case. The brain is a complicated thing. I agree with the response above that food is being used as drug. I feel like a drug addict having surgery in hopes to save myself from food. I hope that my outcome is like brooklyn mom's! the post above mine! Best wishes, hang in there, get determined, you need this surgery!
    Thank you all for the comments. I am trying to fight the anxiety that is plaguing me right now. I am set to get my surgery date next Wednesday if I can just lose these last 3 lbs before then. That has brought my focus back on the future, but I am still struggling not to want to eat everything in site. Agh!
    Omg, I feel like this too. I'm so greatful I am not alone and it happens to the best of us... I have been very on top of it today...