Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cooperzmom

Annie's Journey

Rate this Entry
I am starting this blog to document my journey through the bariatriac surgery process.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life and have had success with weightloss and exercise in the past only to gain it all back and then some. I have been 'stuck' for the past few years, maybe it's the over 40 metabolism? Or it's the bad habits that got me here.

Last month my general doctor put me on cholesterol meds but never gave any suggesstions about how to eat to bring it down naturally. I am very frustrated with the medical profession treating the symptoms but not wanting to address the root of the problem when it comes to weight loss. At that appointment he suggessted I look into the lap band.

I have thought about this surgery throughout the past few years as some of my co-workers had other bariatric surgeries. I quickly dismissed the idea thinking I can do this on my own and I don't want to have major surgery. Well years later, here I am-at the same weight. After my latest doctor's appointment, he got me thinking about it again.

Knowing my insurance company would cover it with my medical issues of high cholesterol, asthma, GERD, and other aches and pains from the weight (co-workers were covered under the same insurance also) I made an appointment for an informational session. That is scheduled for July 30th. Here's a funny story about the information session, it's being held in the hospital's cafeteria. Really, the cafeteria??!! Ha Ha Ha, oh well.

I started to research the gastric band knowing a friend was very happy with her decision to have it done and I also am leary about having a foreign object in my body for the rest of my life. My research brought me to this website. There are so many wonderful people on here offering help and support.

I have a personal trainer and for obvious reasons I had to tell her I was thinking about this surgery. I was really nervous to bring it up thinking she would shun the surgery because she set me up with a great home workout and eating plan. Well much to my surprise she was more than understanding and offered to have other clients to reach out to me that had surgery. She thinks I should do it and that I have been stuck for so long I need the extra help. Wow, talk about shocked at her support! Especially since I told my Sister I was thinking about the surgery and all I heard were crickets on the other end of the phone!

As the date of the informational session draws near I become increasingly excited to travel down the road to weightloss success. I will continue with my blog no only as a way to document the process for myself (I have some-timers disease!!!) but hopefully help someone in the future who may be considering bariatric surgery.

Ta Ta for now, I'll be back after the informational session on July 30th!

Submit "Annie's Journey" to Digg Submit "Annie's Journey" to del.icio.us Submit "Annie's Journey" to StumbleUpon Submit "Annie's Journey" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome to the website and this incredible journey. Keep us posted and can't wait to hear about your success.
    Are you interested on the lap band or getting sleeved? I was sharing a room with a lap band lady who wanted it removed and wanted to be sleeved. the lap band gave her serious heartburn, it didn't help with her hunger (greline hormone) and she didn't lose weight as she'd hoped. Dr Q showed us both her surgery video, her abdomen was full of scar tissue, her stomach was attached to her liver with that white scar tissue and he couldn't do the surgery until it cleared a little after he'd removed the band. He couldn't remove the scar tissue from her liver and just complete the sleeve surgery because of the risk of bleeding.

Just have a quick read of the complications associated with sleeve vs lap band and I think you'll be shocked. I know the lap band may work for some people and if that some is you well then go girl!!! But do inform yourself of the success rates of both independently of this surgeon-run 'info session'.

With BOTH the lap band and sleeve it's imperative that you get dietary help from a professional. I'd been going to a bariatric dietary clinic since 2007 before I had my sleeve and with the combination of the ketogenic, high protein/low carb diet (which is the easiest and most efficient along with the sleeve to lose weight) and with the loss of that constant hunger due to the reduction of ghrelin hormone, it worked well for me. But I blog with some ladies and not all of them are able to lose the weight. I suspect they are still eating the same slider carby foods as before-white rice, bread, cereal, potato, high glycemic load high calorie foods which the sleeve can't help you with. Those foods spike your insulin, pass right through your small tummy, stick to your thighs and make you hungry when your sugar rish plummets. You are smart to seek nutritional support if you're going to invest this much money into improving your health. There's a great little movie that just came out speaking about what role the government has had in this obesity epidemic: http://pinterest.com/pin/149041068890381648/