Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Gaiatree

Traveling back home right after surgery: plane, car, or bus for 4 hrs: what's the best way?

Rate this Entry
I live in Santa Fe, will be having surgery in El Paso. It's a 3.25 to 4.25 hr non direct flight one way. Could take the bus or drive in just a bit more than that. Can't drive afterwards for at least a week. Am trying to figure out the best way to come home.....and it all depends on my comfort. Looking for suggestions/advice. How realistic is it to fly back home, or take the buy by myself? Or should I have someone fly down and drive me back home? Thanks!

Submit "Traveling back home right after surgery: plane, car, or bus for 4 hrs:  what's the best way?" to Digg Submit "Traveling back home right after surgery: plane, car, or bus for 4 hrs:  what's the best way?" to del.icio.us Submit "Traveling back home right after surgery: plane, car, or bus for 4 hrs:  what's the best way?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Traveling back home right after surgery: plane, car, or bus for 4 hrs:  what's the best way?" to Google

Comments

For your comfort - drive down with someone, have that someone drive you home. You may have to stop a lot - you'll be gassy - which is really uncomfortable, unless you walk. A bus or plane would be brutal after surgery.
    Take the train or drive.

I asked my surgeon about visiting friends 3 weeks after the surgery and he immediately asked how I was planning to travel. When I said train, he calmed down as he was concerned about blood clots forming if I was sitting in a tight airplane seat and unable to move around for a few hours. On the train, you can walk and are always only a few feet away from bathrooms.
    I would take the train or have a friend drive you. I agree with bejeweled about being on a plane and you would have to get up and move around to prevent clots, plus the chance of passing gas on the plane.....least when you are in a car, can make stops here and there to get out and walk about. Have a two hour drive from Corpus to San Antonio and back again afterwards with two small dogs in tow. Sounds like its going to be a Griswald trip LOL!!!
    Thanks for the good advice........if only there were trains where I live in the southwest! The options are bus, car, or plane. Can't really expect a friend to take 4-5 days to do this, so think I'll just drive down, and pay for someone to fly down and drive me back.