Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

danrhowell

3 days post op...

Rate this Entry
Well I have been sleeved for 4 days and it is the weirdest feeling I have. I am not hungry, but I have bubbles in my stomach. passing A LOT of gas and also burping a lot. I am finding it very hard to swallow liquids down as it catches in my chest and hurts for a good 5 minutes. I am kind of worried and will probally call the hospital back and ask if that is normal. Just want to be very cautious as my grandmother had the by pass done 6 years ago and she passed away the day after I did surgery. So now I am on REALLY HIGH alert..... Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Daniel

Submit "3 days post op..." to Digg Submit "3 days post op..." to del.icio.us Submit "3 days post op..." to StumbleUpon Submit "3 days post op..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations!!! I too found it hard to swallow, it seems the water / liquid would get stuck in my esophagus, I am 3 weeks post-op and if I eat my pureed food or drink my water too fast the pain is there and can last about an hour. Remember, small sips, hard to do after years of chugging and eating fast. I hope one day I can remember to sip, sip, sip.

Good Luck!!!
    So sorry to hear about you grandmother! As for the pain, make sure you are taking little bitty sips and drinking very slowly. If I drink too fast of to big a sip it hurts. It will get easier and better with time. Good luck and congrats!
    I am sorry to hear about your Grammy!

Better from above, than below (regarding gas). You need to move around, and walk from one end of the house, to the other (to make the gas move, and expell it).

And stay hydrated, that is crucial!

Take it easy-
    I think it's all normal. I had the same sensations for the first few weeks. Remember, your stomach was majorly altered, and you had some trauma to your trachea and esophagus during surgery. So not only do you need to treat those areas gently, you have to eat very slowly, and sip a little at a time to care for your healing stomach. You're body is still ridding itself of the gas from surgery. Lots going on; be patient.
    I am 16 days out and still get the strange feelings when drinking. Like a buildup of gas or pressure in my chest. Sometimes I have to dry heave to get rid of it. Docs say it's acid reflux problems. They upped my meds, hoping that helps...
    drinking to fast and to much take smaller sips if you need a good tool to help you try using a medicine cup holds only an ounce at a time..condolences on your grandma passing.also walk walk walk
    I am four days since the surgery. I actually went back in the hospital on Thurs because I couldn't drink without extreme pain. Doc said it was esophogial spasms. I have to take really, really tiny sips of water. Like only .5 cc at a time. In the hospital, they lined up 12 medicine cups of water --all half full. I drank one every five min. Try this. It really helped.
    My sympathy for your loss. I hope though that the bypass gave her an improved quality of life in her later years.

I could only take tiny sips for the first few days post-op. But if you're feeling worried, by all means check it out.
    I 'm sure everything is fine, but, to put your mind at ease, call the hospital or the Surgeon. I am sorry for your loss, I'm sure that your grandma is very proud of you for doing what you can to better your health and life. I will be praying for you!!
    I found that wee sips of ice water worked for me. Still drink my water ice cold. Kind of goes against what they told me but we all find our own way along the way. Whatever works.
    I think all of us experienced the pain with swallowing. I am 7 days post op and still have this if I take too large of a drink or try to drink too much at a time. Gas-x dissolvable strips will help with the gas and bubbles. Still have them off and on but it is getting better. GOOD LUCK
    So sorry about the loss of your grandmother! Sending hugs! Two things that really help with gas; 1 gas x, the strips work fastest, and 2 walking, walking, walking. Every day should get better! If sipping hurts try popsicles and ice chips or try warm things like tea or broth. For me it was warm that helped with swallowing. Take it easy.
    Thanks everyone. Sipping is getting better but getting light headed a lot and I think its from the lack of nutrition. I havent been getting a lot of protein from chicken broth.