Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Funegirl

Sleeve surgery facts versus myths 11 months post op

Rate this Entry
I am writing this blog 11 months post op, I wish I had something like this to read before my surgery, these are just my personal experiences, as everyone's are as different as they are.

Myth: You HAVE to give up coffee/soda
Fact: I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, while I can have soda I don't much care for the taste any more, I prefer iced tea

Myth: You cant drink with a straw
Fact: Truth is that is the ONLY way I can drink and it does not bother me at all, I was using a straw 2 weeks post op (but it does cause wrinkles I know lol)

Myth: The surgery is pretty much painless and recovery quickly
Fact: Recovery was very quick 3 days post op I was out walking a mile, NO surgery is painless take the morphine :-)

Myth: You must chew your food VERY well
Fact: For the first 3-4 months that is true but now while I have always chewed food well I and I do not have to pulverize it any more lol

Myth: You cannot drink while you eat
Fact: Absoooooolutely true for me anyway, if I drink and eat at the same time I get reaction called "foaming" where I feel deathly ill and wind up expelling this yucky liquid. My Dr explained it is just like when a baby gets gas and spits up, same thing.

Myth: You won't get hungry as the section of the stomach which produces hunger is removed
Fact: OMG at first I was never hungry, but now I definitely get VERY hungry but it only takes a bite or 2 to fill me up

Myth: You should only weigh yourself once a week
Fact: I weigh myself every morning just to stay on track, but always take into account that weight has fluctuations

Myth: DON'T wear clothes that are elastic, pull on, or really to big etc...
Fact: SOOOOOOOOOO true your clothes are a good sign if you are gaining sometimes more than a scale. I also gave away ALL my fat clothes, as I did not want to have them, I will loose before I buy new clothes lol.

Myth: Don't tell people you had surgery, as they will try to hamper your progress
Fact: I tell everyone, I guess if they did try to deter me those would be the first people I would purge from my life

Myth: You will gain all the weight back
Fact: This is truly a personal decision, I believe you can as people have, but only YOU can make the smart decisions on keeping the weight off

Now here are a few tricks I have learned:

Order from the "kids" menu, no restaurant has told me no yet :-)

Buy new clothes, even if it is one or two inexpensive pieces, new clothes as your loosing weight is an amazing incentive, and you don't look like you just came off the set of a rap video lol

TAKE pictures lots and lots, you probably didn't take many before take MANY now, document your progress

You will have loose skin soooooo what, until you have your cosmetic surgery just make the best of it

Don't deny yourself pleasures, just be modest in portions, your new stomach will help you with that. Denial and guilt s probably what helped you gain weight to begin with STOP the cycle NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY every minute of walking faster, eating less, actually loving the department store fitting room, and looking in the mirror. It's an amazing journey approach like that. Everyday be amazed at yourself for choosing to be free from that extra burden, life gives us enough burdens this one we CAN overcome.

Submit "Sleeve surgery facts versus myths 11 months post op" to Digg Submit "Sleeve surgery facts versus myths 11 months post op" to del.icio.us Submit "Sleeve surgery facts versus myths 11 months post op" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sleeve surgery facts versus myths 11 months post op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thank you sooooo much! I really appreciate your insight!
    Thank you, I never knew why we couldn't eat and drink at the same time. Thanks for the insight.
    Thank you so much for all your helpful comments. That is going to be my biggest nsv - to enjoy having my picture taken and not worrying about who will see it.
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I love this!!!
    a very nice post thank you
    I am with you on the coffee front. I actually decided to try a soda the other day - I used to LOVE dt. mt. dew. Had about 5 or 6 sips and decided I didn't like the caronation in my mouth, weird. But glad I no longer want a soda anymore. I aslo at only 3+ months out can eat just about anything. Spicy foods are uncomfortable for me so I try to avoid.
    Wow, how'd you know I needed that information today. My surgery is next Tuesday, the 28th, and the devil/angel battle has begun. Thank you for being there.
    Great information put "in a nutshell". You said it all, and continued success!
    A great post, but remember this was "through your eyes, your body, your behavior". Not everyone will experiance this, and everyones surgeon's requirements, and follow-ups can differ. But otherwise, a great perspective- Thank you for sharing!